[SOLVED] Problems with Plextor M8PeG M.2 NVMe SSD - low speed after shut down

Hi. I have a problem with GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK (rev.1.0, bios F8) and my SSD Plextor M8PeG m.2 NVME 256 gb (latest firmware, 1.06). SSD is inserted into the PCI-E ASUS adapter (HYPER M.2 X4 MINI CARD), works in the ACHI mode.

When I install windows (win7 x64 UEFI. in bios all UEFI) use 64bit Lite-On NVMe driver v1.4.0.0 WHQL for Plextor SSDs, and I hold testing of speed, my ssd works at full speed (2000 mb/sec read, 880 mb/sec write) in any tests (CrystalDiskMark, ATTO Disk Benchmark). I can make soft reset any number of times and speed remains former.

But when I am shut down my PC, I switch off a supply, then I turn on the computer, and again I hold testing of speed of ssd, it shows low speed in all tests (about 170 mb/sec read, 170 mb/sec write). And further it always shows such low speed, switching off and reset doesn’t influence change of speed in any way. SSD works at such low speed.

I tried to use the plug SSD of m.2 port on the motherboard (she have PCI-E 2.0 x2, with up to 10 Gb/s data transfer )- all in the same way -low speed after shut down about 170mb/sec read/write.
I tried the BIOS F9a, F9b for the motherboard - in the same way, the speed of the SSD after shutting down the PC is low.

Please help to solve a problem! (sorry for my english, i use Google translator)

1. MB GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK (1.0), bios F8.
2. RAM - G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX, 2x8Gb.
3. CPU – i7-4790K
4. Video – Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 4096MB
5. SSD - Plextor M8PeG 256Gb M.2 2280 MLC

EDIT by Fernando: Since the problem doesn’t seem to be driver related, I have moved the thread into the “Solid State Drives” Sub-Forum and customized the thread title.

1_test atto-win7 ACHI-(bios mode UEFI)_UEFI install win.jpg

3_test atto_after shut down win7x64.jpg

@Jozer1 :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

You cannot expect the best benchmark numbers directly after having powered on your computer. In this situation there are many ressources consuming processes running in the background (initialization of the complete system, checking of the currently installed hotfixes and comparing it with the available ones, upload and installation of the missing Hotfixes etc.).
What lets you think, that the low speed after having powered on your system is driver related and which specific driver do you suspect to be the reason?
Have you compared the impact of different drivers on the performance of your system?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

After installing Windows 7 x64, I open the resource monitor and I see that there was no disk activity. Then I run the ATTO Disk Benchmark 3_05 test (AS SSD Benchmark, CrystalDiskMark 5_2_1) - they show approximately the same high speed. I install all drivers in turn on the motherboard and perform a soft reboot. I spend again testing and see that the speed of ssd is the same high.

Then I turn off the PC. I turn on, open the resource monitor and look when there is no disk activity. Then I conduct speed testing and see in all tests a low reading and writing speed not exceeding 200 mb / s. I also see that no processes are using the disk and there is no network activity during the test.
Windows updates are disabled. I can do a soft reboot again, the speed of ssd remains the same low. I can turn off the computer and then turn it back on, the speed is low. I tried to install updates windows, but it did not affect and the speed remains always low.

You can without turning off the computer to do a soft reboot and reinstall Windows with a new disk layout. The SSD again shows a high speed. But after turning off the PC, ssd again shows a low speed.
Bios in the UEFI, ACHI mode. When installing Windows 7x64, I load the driver from USB flash - Lite-On NVMe driver v1.4.0.0. I did not find another draver for windows 7 on the Internet. I’ve tried various Windows builds with the already integrated NVME driver. Exactly the same situation with speed.

I tried to install Windows 10 x64, it used its native driver. And I also expected that there would be no disk activity, then I conducted the testing. Speed ​​ssd after installing windows is always low - about 200 mb / s.
Can build windows I use bad? Or is bios setup incorrectly? What could be the reason for this behavior? I tried to use the M2 port on the motherboard and the PCI-E ASUS adapter (HYPER M.2 X4 MINI CARD) - the same. Only one Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 is installed. No other devices are connected.

Not really.

Since we neither know your specific BIOS nor your specific OS configuration, we cannot answer these questions.
This is what I recommend to do:
1. Have a look into the start post of >this< thread and check all points (except point 7).
2. Just to find out the impact of your discrete graphics card on your system performance, you should temporarily remove the GeForce GTX 970 and use the iGPU instead.
3. If the NVMe Controller of your Plextor SSD should be supported by any Lite-On NVMe driver, install it instead of the Win10 in-box NVMe driver.

Thanks for your reply. I will try and then write the result. Tell me please, I tried, run Plextool in win10x64, he does not see the SSD, says that the SSD is not detected in the system. Can I insert SSD to m.2 slot in Motherboard and use Parted Magic’s?

Is the Plextor SSD listed within the "Disk drives" section of the Device Manager and an NVMe Controller within the "Storage Controller" section?
Are you sure, that you have installed Win10 onto the Plextor NVMe SSD?

What for do you want to use the tool "Parted Magic"?

I wanted to do Serure Erase for SSD, since Plextool can not do it.

I’ll describe everything in order.

I tried the BIOS F9a. (It looks like the BIOS version does not affect)

I took the original image of win10x64. Reset the BIOS default settings.
Set the boot mode UEFI, And installed Windows with the native driver.
Device drivers were not installed, the Internet was not there, and Windows stopped being active, I run a speed test - showed a low speed ssd (about 170mb).

Turned off the computer for about 4 hours. When I returned, I turned on the computer and noticed that it had booted up a little faster. I did a test and got these results. (Pic.1). The speed at the beginning was high and reached 2400 -read, 890-write / sec, and then dropped sharply in the middle of the test and was low before its end (about 170mb). As if ssd dropped the speed or there was some speed limit.

Then I installed the chipset drivers and Intel MEI, Lite-On NVMe driver v1.4.0.0, Network Adapter. Windows has downloaded and installed all the updates. Disable all unneeded Windows services, Superfetch, Indexing. Enable Write Caching in Device Manager. Shut down. Boot up PC. I waited until there is no disk activity and run a speed test again. It was low (160-180 mb).

I switched to BIOS on Intel VGA, pulled out Gigabyte GTX970 and plugged into PCI-E x16 adapter with ssd. Booted and tested. The speed is low.

Then I installed in m.2 port and tested again. All the same. The speed is low.

I decided to check the trim trimcheck utility. It said that trim does not work. (Pic.2)
I waited 4 minutes while the trim cleared the file, restarted the computer. Checked, and still the program wrote that the trim does not work.
I checked the Windows configuration - (showed fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify = 0), it is enabled. I found in Anvil’s Storage Utilities trim. Did it. Rebooted and turned off the computer - the speed is low, and trimcheck says that the trim did not pass.

Plextool at startup says that the Plextor SSD is not detected. Although Plextor NVME SSD is listed in NVMe Controller within the "Storage Controller" and in the program itself it is displayed above (Pic 3, Pic 4).
All bookmarks in the program are not active. (Pic 5, Pic 6). But on the INFO tab there is information. I’m not sure, it’s just a picture for reference or information about my SSD? If the information about my ssd, it is strange - SATA SPEED is indicated - 3.0 Gb / sec (Pic 7). Crystal Disk Info indicates that the current mode is PCI-E 3.0 x4. What could this mean?

In the end, I did an Anvil’s Storage Utilities test in m.2 port (Pic 8)

What could be the problem? Please help me figure it out. Thank you for your attention.

Pic 4.jpg

Pic 5.jpg

Pic 6.jpg

I have the impression that ssd lowers the data transfer rate, or the PCI-E goes to SATA 1 and works later on at this speed. Could this be?

@Jozer1 :
Since your problem doesn’t seem to be driver related, I have moved your thread into the "Solid State Drives" Sub-Forum and customized the thread title.
I hope, that this is ok for you. If not, please let me know it.

Nothing can be excluded.
Questions:
1. Did you contact the Plextor Technical Support regarding your problem?
2. Did you follow my first advice in post #4? If yes, which benchmark results did you get after having done it?

Yes, I’ve done all the things except:
- Optimize the “Energy Options” (point 10) of the OS - I’ll do it today and аgain testing.
- Secure Erase (Plextool can not do it.) Аfter all the tests I probably will run Parted Magic secure erase ), and again install windows.

Then I contact the Plextor Technical Support regarding my problem.

Thanks Fernando.

I did Secure Erase with Parted Magick, then installed win10x64. I followed all the recommendations in post # 4.
I used Lite-On NVMe driver v1.4.0.0.
I checked the "trimcheck" utility - trim works.
The result is the same low speed - about 180 mb / s (read and write).

I ran out of ideas on what to do. I will write to the technical support of Plextor.

Greetings. I have some results. I watched the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq3BrjWU7sg) and tried the same.

Installed SSD in the M.2 port on the motherboard (2.0x2, M.2 for SSDs drives with up to 10 Gb/s data transfer)
This is in UEFI, Sata as RAID mode.

Windows 10x64 can not start the installation - it issues a blue screen with an error that the storage driver can not load.

Windows 7 x64 when installing asked to preinstall iRST (14.8.0.63) driver. I downloaded and the installation went on. In the Device Manager: The Storage Controller is displayed as RAID.

Shows interesting speed indicators: which are shown in the screenshot. [[File:win7 raid mode (allUEFI).jpg|none|auto]]

After turning off the PC and turning on, the speed is the same.
Any idea why this might happen?

win7 raid mode (allUEFI).jpg

No, I have no idea.
Which NVme driver are you currently usng?

Currently, I do not use the NVME driver. In bios SATA as RAID mode. When to install Win7x64, preinstall intel_rst_14.8.16.1063. This allowed me to see the SSD and make the installation of windows. Then I installed the chipset drivers and Intel MEI. And I finished installing RST in windows.
I turn off the computer, then turned it on. The speed is maintained.

SSD works at a slightly higher speed, but somehow jerks (this is seen in the screenshot).

This is the NVMe driver.

I sent ssd to the service center, the service center sent the disk to the supplier of the manufacturer. ssd was recognized as defective and I was returned money. I bought the Samsung 960 Evo series 250GB M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4.
ACHI mode. SSD shows the full speed declared by the manufacturer. The problem is solved. ))