[SOLVED] Problems with the Intel Smart ResponseTechnology

Hi, Fernando!

Maybe you’ll be able to help me to choose proper RST driver for my legacy Dell Inspiron 15R 5520, which was recently upgraded to Win8.1. (Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset)
The version, provided by manufacturer (12.8.0.1016 ,A00) ends up with BSOD immediately after installing & rebooting.
The same happens with (taken from this thread):

v13.2.8.1002
v13.1.0.1058
v12.9.4.1000
v11.7.4.1001

The newer versions (>=14.x) end up with “Platform is not supported”.

Thanks in advance!

@amish1975 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

I doubt, that the Intel RST drivers themselves have caused the BSOD, und suspect, that either your system is faulty or you have done a mistake while trying to install the Intel RST drivers.
Questions:
1. To which mode (IDE/AHCI/RAID) has your on-board Intel SATA Controller been set within the BIOS?
2. In which form (as “pure” driver or by using an installer) and how did you install the Intel RST drivers?
3. If you had installed the complete Drivers & Software Set, did you uninstall the Intel RST Software before going to install another “pure” RST driver or an Installer Set?
4. Which was the exact error message, when you got the BSOD?
5. Have you already done a look into the start post of >this< thread? The table at the bottom may be interesting for you.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi, Dieter!

Thank you very much for your quick response!

>>1. To which mode (IDE/AHCI/RAID) has your on-board Intel SATA Controller been set within the BIOS?
Clean Win8.1 Pro 64bit OS installation was done in “ATA” BIOS mode; after, switching to AHCI was done (registry editing according to https://superuser.com/questions/471102/c…lling-windows-8); after, switching to “AHCI” mode was done in BIOS and system started smoothly. Checked via Device Manager - “Standard SATA AHCI controller” was engaged; after - restorepoint has been prepared and all RST installation attempts were made starting from this point (with reverting back to this point).

>>2. In which form (as “pure” driver or by using an installer) and how did you install the Intel RST drivers?
There were attempts to start it in normal way (Serial-ATA_Driver_V0GNH_WN_12.8.2.1000_A05.EXE executable) and manually - unzip executable archive and install separately RST drivers (iaAHCIC.inf and iaStorAC.inf) and RST services & UI (SetupRST.exe). When using drivers from your site - only as executable. With no success…
Each time I installed this and before rebooting, I checked the proper driver - it switched to “Intel 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI controller”.

>>3. If you had installed the complete Drivers & Software Set, did you uninstall the Intel RST Software before going to install another “pure” RST driver or an Installer Set?
As all attempts were unsuccessful and cause BSOD, the only way here was to revert system back to prepared restore point, when it is in absolutely clean state.

>>4. Which was the exact error message, when you got the BSOD?
As far as I could mention - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

>>5. Have you already done a look into the start post of >this< thread? The table at the bottom may be interesting for you.
Yes, exactly! All the drivers provided in this post (Intel RST drivers v11.2.0.1006 WHQL dated 05/30/2012, Intel RST(e) drivers v12.9.4.1000 WHQL dated 04/24/2014, Intel RST(e) drivers v13.1.0.1058 WHQL dated 05/28/2014, Intel RST(e) drivers v13.2.8.1002 WHQL dated 07/09/2015) - were retried with no luck. In fact, there was no use to try v13.2.8.1002 up, as these drivers (by their annotations) do not support my legacy Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset.

The behavior of non-booting is pretty much similar to one when switching in BIOS from “ATA” to “AHCI” without enabling AHCI in OS - the same symptoms; I’m convinced that RST driver iaStorA.sys is not properly activated though is installed, or it is conflicting with OS native storahci.sys…
Thanks in advance for your consideration!
Alexey

@amish1975 :
Since your Intel SATA Controller is running in AHCI mode, I do not recommend to install any Intel RST/RST(e) driver by running an Installer (= *.exe file).
My advice: Download the desired Intel RST(e) driver as "pure" 32/64bit driver (depending on the architecture of your OS) and install it manually from within the Device Manager. The related "AHCI Controller" (these words are always inside its name), whose driver shall be updated/changed, is usually listed within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section (sometimes it may be listed within the "Storage Controllers" section).
Procedure: right-click onto the listed Controller and choose the options "Update driver software" > "Browse my computer…" > "Browse". Then navigate to the folder, which contains the desired driver files (minimum: *.cat, *.inf and *.sys), and click onto the "Next" button. The rest will be done automaticly by the OS.
If you want to install the mod+signed Intel RST(e) driver v13.2.8.1002, you have to import the Win-RAID CA Certificate before you start the driver installation. It is within the downoaded driverpack.

Hi, Dieter,

Thank you for your reply!
I tried to reproduce all the action items you suggested, here are the results:
1. Manual installation of “Dell packaged” Intel RST drivers (unpacking, manually, via Device Manager) caused the same BSOD. It appears each time “Standard SATA AHCI controller” is replaced by “Intel 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI controller”.
2. Installation of the drivers:
- Intel RST(e) drivers v12.9.4.1000
- Intel RST(e) drivers v13.1.0.1058
- Intel RST(e) drivers v13.2.8.1002
, taken from your site in the same manner ended with the result above.
3. Installation of modded drivers was unsuccessful:
3.1. Successfully installed your certificate (according to instructions on site, placed to Local machine as Trusted Root storage).
3.2. For any of your modded drivers (64bit versions):
- v13.2.8.1002,
- v13.1.0.1058,
- v12.9.4.1000
3.2.1. Downloaded driver (.rar package)
3.2.2. Unzip it’s content & RST_x64.msi & drivers.cab.
3.2.3. Point to “…\Universal 64bit Intel RST Software xxx\RST_x64\drivers\x64” (containing all *.cat, *.inf, *.sys files) to look for newer driver. Each time system replied that “Standard SATA AHCI controller” is up-do-date and does not need updating.

Thinking about these drivers are sensitive to GPT || MBR partition types… Will check it and return with the answer a bit later…

@amish1975 :
After having read your reports I suspect, that your Dell PC doesn’t have an Intel chipset at all. That is the only possible explanation for the impossibility to get any Intel RST or RST(e) AHCI driver installed.
What I need are the HardwareIDs of your on-board SATA AHCI Controller.
Please do the following:
1. Run the Device Manager and expand the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” section.
2. Right-click onto the listed "Standard SATA AHCI Controller.
3 Choose - one after the other - the following options: “Properties” > “Details” > “Property” > “HardwareIDs”.
4. Make a note of the VendorID (VEN_XXXX) and DeviceID (DEV_XXXX) and post them.

Hi, Dieter,

I can do exactly how you recommended just late in the evening, but, hope, msinfo32 export will provide the similar info (if not - please let me know), here’s the output regarding IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers:

[IDE]

Element Value
Name Standard SATA AHCI Controller
Manufacturer Standard SATA AHCI Controller
OK status
PNP device ID PCI \ VEN_8086 & DEV_1E03 & SUBSYS_056A1028 & REV_04 \ 3 & 11583659 & 0 & FA
I / O Port 0x00004088-0x0000408F
Input / output port 0x00004094-0x00004097
Input / output port 0x00004080-0x00004087
Input / output port 0x00004090-0x00004093
Input / output port 0x00004060-0x0000407F
Memory Address 0xC1617000-0xC16177FF
IRQ Channel IRQ 19
Driver c: \ windows \ system32 \ drivers \ storahci.sys (6.3.9600.16384, 105.34 KB (107,872 bytes), 08/22/2013 14:40)

@amish1975 :
Thanks for posting the HardwareIDs of your on-board Intel 7-Series Mobile SATA AHCI Controller (DeviceID: DEV_1E03).
The latest Intel RST(e) driver, which natively supports your system, is v12.9.4.1000 WHQL, but the mod+signed v13.2.8.1002 should work for it as well (and maybe even better).
Since your Dell notebook obviously has an Intel 7-Series chipset, I see only 2 possible reasons why you were not able to get the Intel RST/RST(e) drivers working:
1. You Operating System (which one is it?) or its architecture (32/64bit) doesn’t match the Intel AHCI drivers you tried to install.
2. Your system drive is not connected to an Intel SATA port (some PCs/notebooks have SATA ports from different manufacturers).

Dieter,

Thanks for quick response:
>>1. You Operating System (which one is it?) or its architecture (32/64bit) doesn’t match the Intel AHCI drivers you tried to install.
This is Win8.1 Pro 64 bit. Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600.
>>2. Your system drive is not connected to an Intel SATA port (some PCs/notebooks have SATA ports from different manufacturers).
This is hardly possible - this is notebook which has the only one 2.5 enclosure for HDD and only one connector, respectively.

Kindly informing that this exact configuration had been using for 4.5 years with Win 7 Home Basic 64bit and Out-Of-The-Box RST driver installed (cannot tell the exact version). Had 64gb SSD caching drive configured for “smart response” boosting. Trying to upgrade due to Win7 End-of-support and configuring the same… That is why this driver is truly vital for me…

Also - maybe it will be helpful - tried to install Win10 64bit and this driver:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/ru/ru/…?driverid=6w1fp
occasionally suited me perfectly until update 1903 came and was installed automatically. Then I had BSOD and tried to attract Intel support attention with no success:
https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50…n-10-1903-build
- they convinced me to downgrade to “supported” Win 8.1. I can feel how it is “supported”…

@amish1975 :
Thanks for your quick response.
What about the 64GB SSD for data caching? Is it still present within your system? If yes, does it work?
Note: To be able to use the "Smart Response Technology", the SATA mode of the Intel SATA Controller has to be set to "RAID"!!! In this case your system needs an Intel RAID driver!
Anyway: It is the manufacturer of your system (here: Dell), whose obligation is to deliver working drivers for the customer.

Dieter,

Thanks for the response:
>>What about the 64GB SSD for data caching? Is it still present within your system? If yes, does it work?
Plugged, working. It is quite hard to unplug it - it is an mSata modile, I have to disassemble almost all my notebook…

>>Note: To be able to use the “Smart Response Technology”, the SATA mode of the Intel SATA Controller has to be set to “RAID”!!! In this case your system needs an Intel RAID driver!
You are right - that is why I’m trying to boot in “AHCI” mode right after installing Intel 7 Series AHCI driver - my RAID has’t been configured yet.

>>Anyway: It is the manufacturer of your system (here: Dell), whose obligation is to deliver working drivers for the customer.
Absolutely - but due to End-Of-Support I lost possibility to open service requests on Dell site… I do not know who to call…

You cannot run the SATA Controller simultaneously in AHCI and RAID mode.

Dieter,

>>You cannot run the SATA Controller simultaneously in AHCI and RAID mode.
Did not get you, sorry. As far as I remember “RST Smart Response” the configuration procedure, I have to:
1. Configure AHCI booting properly (done).
2. Install Intel RST driver (, UI & service).
3. Reboot and engage Intel RST driver (stuck here!)
4. Configure RAID.
5. Switch to “RST Smart Response” in BIOS.
6. Profit!

If I’m mistaken, please correct - where…

@amish1975 :
Yes, you are mistaken.
The first step is to set the Intel SATA Controller within the BIOS to “RAID” mode (without creating a RAID array).
If you don’t believe me, look >here<.

Hi, Dieter!

Hmm… Frankly speaking, I do not have “RAID” option in my BIOS, I have “Inter Smart Response”, but truly believe it’s the same…

Your statement indicates there’s no possibility to enable Smart Response for OS, installed in ATA | AHCI mode… though I certainly did it for my previous Win7 installation…
Well, I’ll try, but I kept in mind that anytime boot attempts with “Inter Smart Response” enabled failed unless you have RAID built… But I’ll try and return with the response soon. Thanks!

@amish1975 :
Once your problem has been solved, I will move our discussion into a separate thread, because the "Intel Smart Response Technology" has nothing to do with this thread, which is about the latest Intel RST/RSTe drivers.

Hi, Dieter!

Last-minute update: switched by BIOS in "Intel Smart Response Technology", inserted USB Flash with OS, rebooted and… MAGIC! - black BIOS-like console appeared with RAID settings (I CAN SWEAR i SEE IT FOR THE 1ST TIME)!!
It turned that my HDD and SSD remained RAIDed in BIOS (or smwhere else - I still do not understand this mechanic) since previous OS usage. I disassemble this RAID and could successfully install and boot from Intel RST drivers and start RST console.

However, acceleration feature is not available there! (( Trying understand the rootcause…

Anyway - thanks for valuable advice to enable RAID in BIOS and try to start installation - this was a breakthrough!

Kind regards,
Alexey.

P.S. Pls feel free to move this conversation in any thread you consider most appropriate.

@amish1975 :
It is fine, that we finally were able to solve your problems and can now get the desired Intel RST driver installed and properly working.
Enjoy it!

Done!

Really appreciate your support, Dieter!