[SOLVED] Unable to read data from raid1 array, that's missing one raid member HDD.

Hey there guys,

Hope I’m in the right section up front. If not, please move me to the correct one.

My system goes as follows:
Asus P10S WS
Intel Xeon E3-1275 v6
16 GB of DDR4 non-ECC RAM [2 x 8GB]
2 x WD Red Pro 3TB [raid1 and one is missing atm]
2 x WD Gold 8TB [raid1, clean and fully functional]
1 x WD Gold 10TB [jbod, non-raid member]

I’m running Windows Server 2016 [legal], powered by iRSTe 5.1.0.1098, from uh, fernando’s win raid forum.

All’s fine, it’s just I removed one raid1 member from my WD Red Pro 3TB raid array and now when I copy files either via Microsoft Windows Explorer, Total Commander, or FreeFileSync, I always get stuck on some files. They’re always the same files, tried to skip them. I also scanned drives for integrity errors, some surface errors, etc.

The only “problem” I know about is that one of my raid1 disks [it’s the source drive[s]] is missing. Although, to my current knowledge, I should be able to copy data from degraded raid1 array without any issues.

Or am I seeing this wrong? It’s really a bit complicated for me to connect the missing drive atm, but unless I’ll have no choice I will.

My question is very simple. Whenever I copy the data, it always freezes copying on the same file[s]. When I skip the problematic file, after some few tens of thousands of files it finds another and it freezes in there again. Files aren’t being clamped too deep within the file system structure.

File system on both raid1 arrays [one complete and one degraded] is NTFS.

I’m using pure raid1 array, unmodified, managed by iRSTe that’s onboard and monitored by iRSTe within the system.

All drives report excellent S.M.A.R.T. values, even surface scans are successful.

Please advise,

With kind regards

uplink

P.S.: Attached is the screenshot from iRSTe.

screenshot.jpg

@uplink :
It would be interesting to know, which sort of files cannot be copied and what is the reason for this problem. You should check the integrity of the related files and the rights you have regarding them.
Generally you should be able to restore the data of your degraded RAID1 array member by using the Intel RSTe Console.

Hey there sir,

Thank You for Your ultra fast reply! Well, yeah, I’ll give it a shot. And I can give You name and paths of the files. The funny thing about my raid1 array is, that it’s pure data drive/storage, there’s no installed programs, nor OS whatsoever. I’ll google out how I’m able to move the data from my degraded raid1 array to the new raid1 array.

So, I started copying and here’s a “log” of my effort:

part-1.jpg

part-2.jpg

part-3.jpg

part-4.jpg

part-5.jpg

part-6.jpg

part-7.jpg

part-8.jpg

Btw. these are completely different file[s], than yesterday. It’s like “after some time” it crashes, always on the same file per session. Any ideas how to solve my issues without rebuilding the array?

edit #1:
I’ll have an update very soon, it passed the file now it’s stuck on the same “first” file as yesterday. The iPhones iPAs. I’m working on screenshots atm, buy whole system is frozen.
edit #2:
Added part-7.jpg. Weird, I’m unable to read properties of some iPA files, where the copying freezes. Is there any parity whatsoever in raid1?
edit #3:
Added part-8.jpg. Well, seems I have [You] found the culprit. Though, I’m not sure why I’m unable to copy/read these files at all :/. I’m gonna insert my old raid1 member drive tomorrow and try it than. This is really weird. The marked files are completely stuck, I’m unable to obtain any info from them, nor copy them :frowning:
edit #4:
So, I’ve got an update. When I leave it as it is, it passes these files [looks fine for now] and than copies 115 MB/s along. Is it possible, that the part of the HDD is corrupted somehow, and it doesn’t show in S.M.A.R.T., nor surface test?

@uplink :
Thanks for your detailed report. It is fine, that you obviously were able to solve the problem.

Yes, this is what I think as well.
My advice: Check the data integrity of the related RAID array by using the related Windows Explorer Tool or (even better) of the RAID members themselves by using the specific tool offered by the HDD manufacturer.

I can do it for you. What shall I delete and what shall I merge?

Evening sir,

yeah, I’m doing that one right now. Am rebuilding the whole array atm.I didn’t realize that raid1 was so fragile and that it won’t work properly/fully without the other drive :confused: [I always thought that the raid1 array can work live just fine w/o the other member drive]. After the rebuilding process is completed, I’ll verify the raid1 array. Than I’ll try to copy the data from the original raid1 array [made out of WD Red Pro’s] to the new raid1 array [the Golden one].

If it’d be possible, would You please fuse messages #: 3, 4 & 5 into one for me?

I will keep this thread updated, whether I managed to recover all of my files.

Thank You kindly for Your time, effort and Your precious advice

With kind regards

uplink

Ok, I have merged the related posts and deleted the unnecessary ones thereafter. Furthermore I have inserted the pictures instead of attaching them.
If you should be not satisfied with the result, please let me know it.

Thank You sir! It’s all purrfect! :slight_smile: I’m verifying both raid1 arrays, will copy data in the evening and will update the thread. Thank You! :slight_smile:

part-1.jpg

//edit #1: So, I rebuilt, verified and now I’m HD Tune Pro surface scanning the genuine raid1 array [3TB], and after all tests proved positive, I’m still unable/able to read very hardly many files from my raid1 array. Any clue what might be the bug? Besides the built in defragmentation tool, I also used O & O Defrag, which I already uninstalled, since I read that 3rd party defragmentation tools may damage some files. Could this be my case? :confused:

//edit #2: Now I’m simply copying the files, they always pass after some time, though, I’m not sure which files are the ones that are hard to copy and it’s gonna be a bit complicated to check for their intregrity and structure. Anyway, I still have a backup on external drive at work. Surface test passed after few hours flawlessly also. I’m starting to heavily suspect the O&O Defrag. Bought the damn app for Windows Server for a lot of money and it’s screwing with my files :frowning:

part-2.jpg

So, I “solved” the problem. I couldn’t copy them files, due to idiotic Eset EndPoint Security. It’s like…nevermind, really. Thank You for Your help and guidance sir! :slight_smile:

@uplink :
Congratulations, that you finally detected the origin of all your troubles, and thanks for your final report.
Due to the fact, that you solved your problem, I will add the prefix “SOLVED” to the thread title.
Enjoy your “cleaned” system!