Something is wrong with Intel ME

Something is wrong with Intel ME on my Lenovo m910x, it shows version 0.0.0.0 in bios but a full bios dump (with me_diag jumper set) shows that there is a me firmware in there…
ME Analyzer does give an error:

Error: Detected CSE Extension 0x03 with wrong Partition Hash at FTPR > FTPR.man!

Error: Size of FTPR Partition at $FPT is smaller than CSE Extension 0x3/0x16!

The FW image can be corrupted, you may try this guide
[Guide] Clean Dumped Intel Engine (CS)ME/(CS)TXE Regions with Data Initialization - Special Topics / Intel Management Engine - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

EDIT: Well if you “think”… i think maybe you missed any steps, you should try again.

I think I tried that correctly but with no change

Attach the orginal bios dump and the assumed cleaned ME/ firmware image you flashed back.

Don’t have the cleaned ME readily available, here are the bios dump and me dump from fptw
https://easyupload.io/l9emf8

Followed guide again, same result - no bueno still
ME Firmware Version 0.0.0.0
Manageability Type N/A

This is a stock machine? No changes?

Yes a stock machine, no changes as far as I know, running it with an i5-7500t

You’re doing something not according to the guide. The ME looks like someone fiddled with it, maybe some Coffeetime or ‘disable ME’- trial?

See differences in structure and size (start of padding between end of ME and bios region)

That’s what I get:
outimage.zip (8.4 MB)
(Slightly newer version)

Not sure what the previous owner did, when the fit tool reads the me file I get the following files (non 0 KB):
ISHC 196 KB
ME Region.bin
ME Region _0h_534000h.bin
PdtBinary.bin 1 KB

Not sure what the other ME Region file is…

If you decompose the same file several times in FIT, that’s the way it handles the different versions.

EDIT Wouldn’t be so sure that the settings from your ME hasn’t been fiddled with either?!

EDIT2 HAP bit might be set, too. So the first one with just the settings from the ‘modded’ ME might not work as well.
You might try this one:
outimage_corr.zip (8.4 MB)

There aren’t too many unchanged dumps of those machines out there, but I think this is rather close to stock settings!

Flashed with new bios, did a clear cmos and absolutely no change

Did you use the file from outimage.zip or outimage_corr.zip?

outimage_corr.zip, when I back up the bios again the second me region is gone and the structure looks better - but doesn’t fix the issue

What do you mean? Please attach the fresh backup you made after flashing!

here: https://easyupload.io/bkfsqu

Your ME filesystem state still reads ‘Configured’ in MEA, not ‘Initialized’ as it should be, meaning ME region not even touched during system start.

Several possibilities

• Did you remove the ME jumper? This jumper will put ME in ‘service mode’ and disable it.

• Did you check Bios settings? ME can be disabled there, too.
    Did you reset your PC to defaults in Bios?
    NVRAM doesn’t look completely fine, the second volume has a subfolder with Default settings twice. There should be a small (0xA) store for MeSetupStorage, but that’s only in the defaults subfolder, not in the active NVRAM.

• Might be hardware error?

If it isn’t the jumper, please post pics of bios pages covering ME / AMT settings.

IRF of the setup
Section_PE32_image_Setup_Setup_body IFR.zip (205.7 KB)

AHA!!
I left the service jumper on after flashing your firmware!
Now it shows 11.8.92.4249 and enabled…

All is well in the world…Thank you for your help

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback :+1: