Sony Vaio Pro 13 - SVP1321C5E bios issues

#Donation: check :slight_smile:
Just made now a donation.

#Correction ( 64 and not 128 )
Chip: Winbond 25Q64FV ( see attachment for BIOS-Dump and NVMe-Mod )
Model: SVP132A1CM
BIOS-Version: R1045V7
BIOS-Release: 19.05.2015

#Repair BIOS after a bad flash ( this is how I repaired the bad flash )

1. Take the battery out of your Sony Vaio laptop
2. Connect CH341A Programmer Hardware
3. Start the CH341A Programmer Software ( Version: 1.29 )
3. Click "Erase"
4. Click "Blank"
5. Click “Load” and select the original BIOS-Dump or other BIOS-Dump from the same machine model
6. Click "Write"
7. Click "Verify"
8. Boot into Windows and flash the latest BIOS from the Sony Vaio Homagepage

#Testing Windows: OK

1. Flashed BIOS+NVMe-Mod
2. NVMe-Drive is not visible in BIOS
3. Boot from UEFI-USB
4. Install Windows 10
5. Unplug UEFI-USB after Installation
6. Sony boots from the NVMe-Drive for some reason ( still not visible in BIOS; see attachment )

SVP132A1CM_BIOS.jpg

7. Check out the HwInfo after Windows10 installation on the NVMe-Drive

SVP132A1CM_HWiNFO64.jpg

#Testing Linux (Manjaro): no boot
I work basically on Linux, but after I boot into USB-Linux-Installer the NVMe-Drive is detected even before the BIOS-Patch, but the problem that I have, I can’t boot after OS installation from the NVMe-Drive :frowning:
( after I take out the USB-Stick )
Still I can boot from the USB-Stick and then select the EFI-Partition from the NVMe-Drive, but without USB-Boot, I can’t boot into NVMe-Drive :frowning:

#Testing several drives
1. Intenso M.2 SSD TOP 1TB -> works without BIOS-Mod as well
2. Samsung MZ-HPU256T -> works without BIOS-Mod as well
3. Samsung M.2 2280 SX8200PNP 512GB -> not visible in BIOS, works with Windows-Installation
4. Intel SSDPEKKF 256 G7L -> not visible in BIOS, works with Windows-Installation

#Questions
1. Why is the NVMe-Drive not visible in the BIOS?

SVP132A1CM_BIOS.jpg

2. Why is the Windows 10 installation working after taking the USB out, even if the BIOS is showing "no drive"?

SVP132A1CM_NVMe.7z.zip (3.48 MB)

SVP132A1CM_orig.7z.zip (3.47 MB)

We have to remember users, that this MOD is a simple insertion of DXE driver into bios structure, there is no more edit/strings inserted.
This is necessary for the UEFI loading device and to display the NVMe class disk in OS setup.
Ill say that about 75% of bios (MODS) do not show a NVMe drive or as some, a PATA device, this depends on OEM bios structure/strings/code…and u dont need to mess around this for this simple insertion.
The UEFI/GPT/x64 OS requirements does the rest and adds a boot entry that the UEFI bios boot manager will seek for.
So thats wot u need to correct in ur LINUX installation

By the way…share with us and for future guidance, wot was the failing flash procedure that broke the system.

#UEFI: Windows (works)
The Patch works 100% for Windows. Somehow windows does something and adds the Entry so the sony can boot from it with the NVMe-Disk inside.
IMPORTANT: Once you have installed and booted from the NVMe and you take the SSD out for some reason and then put it back in, it will not work again; you will need to install the Windows from scratch

#UEFI: Linux (does not work)
Installation was made state-of-the-art: GPT Partition table and EFI-Volume, yet under Linux it does not work :frowning:

I have tried diff. distros and the same thing. I can boot from the UEFI-USB and install it, but after the installation there is no boot from the NVMe; I need to boot first from USB and then select the EFI-partition.
Partition intallation:

linux_partition_gpt.jpg

Manual boot after installation:

manual_boot.jpg

Double and tripple checked the creation of the EFI/GPT for Linux:

dell_efi_boot.jpg

Somehow windows is outsmarting us with something and adds/changes something in the boot section.

#Difference between SATA and NVMe (speed)
SATA M.2

CrystalDiskMark_20210531191532.png

NVMe Intel

CrystalDiskMark_20210531180458.png

NVMe Crucial P2 CT1000P2SSD8 | check out the speeds on Linux Manjaro, its just insane :slight_smile:

Screenshot_20210601_010540.png

Very nice project and again thank you guys for the support.

#How did I break the BIOS-Chip?
I have selected a wrong version of the chip when I wanted to write the ROM :slight_smile: I have not clicked again read/check/erase/blank/write and I just selected ROM and hit the “write” button -> my bad

Probably there is a way on how to use the UEFI/GPT+NVMe for Linux on this machine :slight_smile: Any help is very much appreciated

@MeatWar do you know is there any bios-mod that allows to boot from SD-Card?

Not really…

Hi guys,
i have a question. How to get afuwin.rom. i used AFUWIN Flasher 5.05.04. But cant get this file. sorry my english not good. Thanks so much!

[[File:Capture.PNG|none|auto]

Capture.PNG

Use the AMI Aptio IV tool 3.05 or 3.09, ur bios is not Aptio V.