Sony Vaio VGN-CR21S - Microcode 10676 to Support Intel Core 2 Duo T9300

So, the Plan A will be make a try with the current BIOS. If all went fine and starte, Windows will use 2011 microcode version (0x610)

If for any reason does not work. The Plan B is update BIOS to R2101Q0 and try again. right?

That’s right.

Okay, I won’t bother you anymore then. You deserve a monument for your patience. Thank you very, very much for your support. As soon as I switch to the new processor, I’ll keep you posted on how it’s going. I said, thank you very much!

The new CPU has arrived and is also installed. All was fine. It worked at once with the current BIOS R1131Q0. So DeathBringer was absolutely right and the T9300 CPU can work without specific microcodes in the BIOS. No upgrade BIOS was needed.

However I notified a little problem. It seems that is not fully used in Windows 8.1 because Windows says that the Maximum speed of the CPU is 2.40Ghz instead of 2.5Ghz. For the other side, the most curious thing is that both CPU-Z and RMClock say that CPU is working almost at 2.5GHz. There are discrepancies between CPU speed as you can se below:

SpeedDiscrapance_Windows_RMClockAndCPU-Z.png

I think the issue is on Windows’s side… Which software is telling the true? is the problem related with the BIOS because is not using the right multiplier? If so, will this be fixed if I upgrade to R2101Q0?

PS: I also have been submitted the CPU-Z report

CPU-Z_Report_VaioVGN-CR21S_T9300Upgrade.zip (4.32 KB)

Show a screenshot of ThrottleStop, when TS Bench is running.
Attach TXT-report of CPU-Z.

Here comes an screenshot of ThrottleStop, when TS Bench is running:

ThrottleStop_OpenHardwareMonitor_T9300.png

It matches almost matches with Open Hardware Monitor: Windows 2.38Ghz, ThrottleStop: 2493.75Mhz and Open Hardware Monitor: 2494,1 Mhz

Seems like Windows is not able to hand multipliers with decimals and round to 12 instead of using 12.5. With 12 multiplier speed is (200 x 12 = 2400Mhz). Is need use 12.5 Mhz to get 2.5Ghz (12.5 x 200 = 2500Mhz). Will be this fixed upgrading the BIOS to R2101Q0?

I’m not sure, but quite possible - https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-S…=45413#pid45413

The world is for the brave. So I finally decided to upgrad BIOS to version R2101Q0. I was quite scared because the R2101Q0 is a BIOS for higher models It was officially intended for the CR3X and CR4X Vaios, not for the CR2X. But this time I was lucky and it worked:

R2101GHz_FixSpeedProblemInWindows.png

Windows now recognises its total speed, this is 2.5GHz instead of just 2.4GHz. I want to thank very much all the help given by DeathBringer. Kind, relly fast and super helpful.

The question that remains now is, before the upgrade how fast the CPU really went? what software reported the true speed? The one reported by TS, CPU-Z and Open Hardware Monitor, or the 2.GHz indicated by Windows. It is only for curiosity but there are 3 matches and only Windows reported different speed…