Spinpoint F3 / P5B Deluxe extremely slow on W10

Hello guys,

I did install a 500gb Samsung Spinpoint F3 on an old PC (e6400, p5b deluxe) and im getting EXTREMELY slow speed when opening files / clicking start menu / internet browing, reaching 100% disk usage with this simple things.
This computer had a 120gb old maxtor drive, which i upgraded with this much faster Samsung, and the with the old hdd i did never experience such problem (i was also using w10)
The Samsung HDD is in good shape, almost new, was used previously by me in a RAID0 setup, and for storage after.

Since its not related to the HDD itself, the W10 was a full clean instalation, i think is somehow driver related.
Somethings really wrong

Benchmark 1.png

Device Manager.png

EDIT by Fernando: Inserted too big pictures resized and reinserted (to save space)

The in-use storage driver is the MS IDE driver named PCIIDE.SYS, because you are running your HDD in IDE mode.
So as first step I recommend to set the on-board Intel ICH8 SATA Controller within the BIOS to “AHCI” and to do a fresh OS install thereafter.

Firstly i want to thank you for the help, Fernando.

Last time i did reset MB defaults it went IDE mode and i didn´t realize it.
Switched back to AHCI mode, full wipe and windows 7 instalation. Well, it is still slow :frowning:
Installed nothing more but the official matrix drivers which i downloaded from the official Asus P5B support website.
Did all the updates and stuff so it wouldn´t affect the test.

CrystalDiskMark.png

Device Manager and Intel Matrix.jpg

What do you think?

EDIT by Fernando: Inserted too big pictures resized and re-attached (to save space, pictures can be enlarged by clicking onto them)

Are you sure, that your system drive is connected to the Intel SATA AHCI Controller and not to the still present Intel SATA IDE Controller?
If yes, please check your HDD/SSD, which contains the OS and the boot sector.

Omg, what the hell? How is this even possible?
I got the HDD mode in BIOS in AHCI mode FORCED

Samsung HDD details.png

EDIT by Fernando: Inserted picture resized and re-attached (to save space, picture can be enlarged by clicking onto it)

i also checked those 2 registry keys, and DWORD "Start" is 0 on both of them

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\pciide

@lpfbs :
You can check the connection of your system drive by opening the PC case and looking for the data cable, which is plugged into your system drive. Just follow this cable and look, to which SATA port of your mainboard it is connected. Then look into your mainboard manual and check, to which Controller (IDE or AHCI) the related port belongs.
I just have realized, that your system drive is connected to the SATA Port 4. A system drive should always been connected to the first SATA port named port 0.
Additional question: Why have you installed an absolutely outdated Intel Drivers & Software Set v8.9, which belongs to the Intel Matrix Storage Manager platform?

The drive was in Sata port 4, is now in sata port 1 (0 in system). Ports 1234 are AHCI sata ports and support bootable drives. Sata 5 & 6 are for slave only, so no problem here.
The installed drivers are the ones (and only ones) available in the official Asus website for the P5B deluxe.
I’ve already updated bios to last version, no changes.

When i switch from AHCI to IDE in bios i get blue screen, so i’m 100% sure windows has been correctly installed in AHCI mode

ASUS Downloads site.png

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded blank lines removed and too big picture resized and directly attached by using the Forum software (can be enlarged by clicking onto it)

Hello @Fernando ,

I finaly managed to full install W7 in AHCI mode, after some bios tweaking and HDD changes through CMD line.
System is much faster now but i still have a question: which are the best Drivers for my current config? P5B deluxe ICH 8R and W7?
I did insall the same Sata Matrix 8.9 driver from the official website.

I did check your topic but i find it a bit confusing
Intel RST/RSTe Drivers (newest: v16.0.1.1008/v5.3.0.1388 WHQL)

Thanks for your help
cheers

Please look into the start post of >this< thread. At the bottom there is a table, where I have listed the recommended Intel AHCI driver for your Intel ICH8R Southbridge.
By the way: Did you find the reason for your extremely bad performance?

@Fernando
When i try the recomended drivers, Intel RST v11.2.0.1006, with the software installer, gives error and says ‘the system doesnt meet the minimum requirements to install’.
Manualy updating the controller in the device manager, it says 'device has already the latest controllers and stays with the 8.9 ignoring the 11.2…

About the poor performance:
The reasons were (i think) bios related. JMicron hardware was somehow giving compatibility issues by interfering with the regular SATA AHCI controller, dont ask me how or why, i just disabled it in the bios, been fine since then.
Also, before the latest full wipe and reinstall, i had catastrophic HDD failure, had to boot from W7 repair USB and redo all the stuff by CMD (erase partitions, etc)

Anyway, the Bench results for the disk are far from what i expected, about 120mb sequential read and write and 35mb on random read / write, which i think are pretty poor. OS running and browsing are much better tho.

@lpfbs :
As long as you are running your Intel SATA Controller in AHCI mode, there is no need to install the complete Intel RST Drivers & Software Set.
I recommend to install the “pure” Intel RST AHCI driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL manually from within the Device Manager (Note: You have to update the driver of the “Intel SATA AHCI Controller”, which is listed within the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” section).
If you get the message, that the “best” driver is already running, force the driver installation by choosing the options “Let me pick…” > “Have Disk” and navigating to the file iaAHCI.inf of the desired driver folder.
Please post the HardwareIDs of your Intel SATA AHCI Controller (right-click onto it > “Properties” > “Details” > “Property” > “HardwareIDs”).

Hello @Fernando

When i try to pick the controller manualy, i don´t know which to choose.
This is the list for the 11.2.0.1006 WHQL, downloaded from your page:

Intel(R) 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) ICH7M/MHD SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller

This is the current ID for the 8.9 driver

Crystal Disk

@lpfbs :
Thanks for your info about the HardwareIDs of your on-board Intel SATA AHCI Controller.
Unfortunately the WHQL certified variant of the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 doesn’t support the DeviceID DEV_2821. That is the reason why you couldn’t get the driver installed the normal way.
I am sorry about my advice to install this specific driver (at that point I didn’t know the HardwareIDs of your specific Intel SATA AHCI Controller).
So you have 2 options, if you want to get an Intel AHCI driver installed, which belongs to the “Intel Rapid Storage Technology” platform:

• a) Intel RST driver v10.1.0.1008 WHQL (you can find the download links within Chapter I A of the start post within >this< thread) or
  • b) “Universal Intel RST AHCI+RAID driver v11.2.01006 mod+signed by me” (you can find the download links within the Chapter I of the start post within >this< thread, don’t forget to import the included Win-RAID CA Certificate before you start the driver installation).

Good luck!

No Problem

Thanks a lot Fernando,

Best Regards.

Hello

I guess something is wrong with my motherboard and theres no possible fix :frowning:

I did instal an Adata sp900 SDD which i previously used in a laptop, full system wipe, 1008 whql driver, and the results are very underwhelming comparing to what i got on the laptop. The Seq Write speed is even worse than the old HDD :frowning:

DiskMark 3

Disk Mark 6

@lpfbs :
1. Which storage driver did you use?
2. Did you follow my advices, which are layed down >here<?

Hello @Fernando
Thanks once again for your help

Firstly, the driver i installed was the ‘newest’ one possible compatible with my MoBo, which is the ‘Intel RST driver v10.1.0.1008 WHQL’, manually, without RST software
About the second point, let me answer it by the topic order:
1- Firmware checked with the Adata Toolbox app, said it has the last firmware installed (5.8.2)
2- Bios is set to AHCI, nothing more really left to do
3- Secure erased with the Adata Toolbox App
4- Fresh Win 10 instalation
5- Superfetch is off and the system is clean as max as possible. All devices installed
6 - It says SSD in the defrager
7- Intel RST driver v10.1.0.1008 WHQL, as we checked before
8- Its on
9- i got no LPM
10- done
11-I didnt try that, should i?
12- done
13- trim is on

Also, FYI, this SSD has ONLY about 4500 working hours done…

thanks

The best way to exclude the SSD itself as show stopper is to insert it into any other system and do a benchmark test.