SSD temperature

Hi guys,

Is there a way to read the SSD’s temperature? Is there an SDK/API for this? Windows 10 x64 with Samsung SSD SM961 NVMe 512GB.

HWInfo reports two sensors, and I would like to be able to read it myself if possible.

Many thanks
doofus

@doofus :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Apart from HWInfo there are some other tools, which can check the health of M.2 SSDs. You can find them listed >here<.

I don’t think, that you can do it without a tool. Measuring with a thermometer will not really work.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@ Fernando:
Hi and thanks for the reply.

From all software toolds I have seen and have tried, only HWInfo reads a second temperature sensor found on some SSDs (at least on Samsung and on SK Hynix), it always reports very high temperatures, and I think it is very wrong and very misleading for many users who think their SSDs are overheating.

I therefore need to have access to the API so I can write my own tool and take the measurements. I also need to find out more about these second temperature sensors and what their role is. Are they really temperature? Are they undefined maybe ? Are they there for some other reason? I would get all these answers if I had access to the correct API, of which I think one is "S.M.A.R.T."

If yes this is what I am asking: what is the SDK (API, libraries, drivers) that will let me read those sensors?

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/