Supermicro X9SCM-iiF - Latest BMC/IPMI Firmware?

Hello,

I am still running an older server that has the Supermicro X9SCM-iiF motherboard. On their website, the latest BMC/IPMI firmware for this board is v3.38. However, a somewhat similar board (except for what appears is different Intel NIC models) but more popular board is the X9SCM-F, which shows the latest BMC/IPMI firmware of v3.52.

Do you think I can update the BMC/IPMI with that of the other board even though it is different NIC’s? Possibly even a newer firmware that may be archived somewhere? I really use the IPMI functionality often but it is so outdated and sometimes the keyboard does not work reliably so have to refresh for it work again for a while before happens again, hoping a newer version of the firmware fixes this annoying issue once and for all. At the very least, is there a tool I can use to open the .bin and compare what is different between the original firmware and the updated one to see if it NIC version dependent or not?

Thank You!

IPMI 2.0 supported by the WPCM450 Server BMC
Single Realtek RTL8201FN to support IPMI 2.0 LAN
(Manual for X9SCM-IIF, X9SCL-IIF)

IPMI 2.0 supported by the WPCM450 Server BMC (X9SCM-F/X9SCL-F/X9SCL±F Only)
Single Realtek RTL8201N PHY to support IPMI 2.0 LAN (X9SCM-F/X9SCL-F/X9SCL±F Only)
(Manual for X9SCM, X9SCM-F X9SCL, X9SCL-F X9SCL±F)

The bin files opens in 7-zip by simply double- clicking on it and contains what looks like a Linux file system:

ipmi.jpg

Well I feel stupid now, I tried various BIOS tools to try to open the IPMI .bin firmware with no luck and nothing would work. Didn’t think to simply open it with my 7-zip. You are right, just looks like a linux file system. I ended up comparing both firmwares and decided to risk it to update the X9SCM-iiF with the X9SCM-F v3.52 firmware. Wanted to report back that it updated successfully with no issues so far after over an hour of usage. Since board is EOL, I am am sure will be the last IPMI update we will ever see for this board. The date stamps on the two firmware have a 22 month difference so I am positive many bug fixes in that time.

I also received the following response from Supermicro support about updating to the other IPMI firmware:

"For IPMI, they share the same base but because there was no or less demand on X9SCM-iiF, our lab did not qualify R 3.52 on X9SCM-iiF. It would be at your own risk if you flash it to R 3.52."

Which was the other reason I decided to go ahead and update. Thank you for your assistance lfb6. I really appreciate you.

Now debating if I should update the BIOS with the latest microcode which fixes the Spectre vulnerability. Might just leave it since server is internal to my home and I want maximum performance from the CPU for Plex transcoding so nothing sensitive anyhow.