[TIP] How to migrate from raid to single disk and correct blue screen boot issue.

The other day I was trying to migrate from a two disk Intel Raid Nvme array to a single disk. In the process must have made an error along the way that caused my restored drive image to not want to boot. First thing I did was make a disk image back up using Macrium Reflect. From there I restored it while in Windows onto my new NVME drive using an usb adapter. I would have done a straight clone but read warnings that the cloning wasn’t recommended and that restoring from an image was better. Also read that it would probably be necessary to use the Macrium boot fixer tool built into the Macrium Recovery usb stick or use the Windows Installer usb Repair my computer option to correct the boot files if necessary. Unfortunately I did have a big blue screen issue when I tried to boot up from my new single disk configuration and non of the easy fix options could fix the installation.

The exact error was this:

This is what I did:

Google searched and found this page: http://woshub.com/windows-8-winload-efi-is-missing-or-damaged/

Following the guide I first tried this:

Loaded a command window from the Windows Installer usb key and typed:

That still didn’t work so I tried this next:

After that it worked and booted into Windows. Sharing this to share others the pain of spending hours google searching for a solution.

All credit goes to woshub.com.

Important notes: Want to disable Secure boot, delete your array and eventually turn off Intel Raid mode in bios and switch to AHCI. Right now I still have Raid mode turned on though individual m.2 raid support is off in Bios. Switching to AHCI will require setting Windows to boot into Safe mode before you make the switch to AHCI for Windows to recognize the AHCI controller. Right now though its working regardless and I’m happy.

Thanks

I had a similar problem but it seems after you switch from raid to AHCI(non-raid) booting into safe mode windows works, and when you do boot, windows 10 seems to automatically enable ahci drivers(or non-raid NVME drivers), that’s how i solved my bluescreen

Did you originally have a two disk array?