[Tip] Installation of .NET Framework 3.5 onto Win8.1 RTM

If you try to add .NET Framework 3.5 as an additional feature from within the Control Panel > “Programs”, you will actually not succeed to get the needed files online via Windows Update.
Reason:
Win8.1 RTM needs an updated version of .NET Framework 3.5, which is currently not available at Windows Update. Once Win8.1 will be officially released to the public, this problem will be solved.

Nevertheless it is possible to install the Win8.1 RTM compatible new version of .NET Framework 3.5, because the needed software is part of the Win8.1 RTM ISO file.

This is the way how you can get .NET Framework installed onto your Win8.1 RTM:

1. Insert the Win8.1 RTM installation media (DVD or USB flash drive).
  2. Run the Win8.1 PowerShell as Administrator (do a right click into the left buttom corner and choose the related option).
  3. Enter the following command (without the quotation marks):
    "dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:netfx3 /all /source:X:\sources\sxs /limitaccess"
    Replace the letter “X” by the actual letter of the drive with the Win8.1 RTM source files. (DVD/USB).
  4. Hit “Enter”.
  5. The installation will start and being completed automaticly.

That is all!

Have fun!
Fernando

UPDATE:
Since the final version of Win8.1 is available now for everyone, there is no problem anymore to get .NET Framework 3.5 installed by using the “Windows Update” function.

Thank you!

I’m getting ready to do a full install with Win 8.1 , I haven’t received the Disc as of yet so is this something I might wish to take into account when I do get it up & running? I am posting numerous questions here on your forums so as to gin more knowledge of the RAID/AHCI! Thank You

There is nothing to worry about regarding the .NET Framework 3.5 software.
Since 18th October, when the final version of Win8.1 has been released for the customers, it is no problem anymore to get .NET Framework 3.5 installed. You can do it even via Windows Update.

Was worried there for a second! THANK YOU

Hi,

I’ve been having so many issues with installing 3.5. I did the DISM and it will on go to 99.8% and it’s driving me crazy!! I’ve done a chkdsk, I’ve done a trouble shoot, but for some reason it will not let me get that last .02%. And because of it I cannot update my windows or install iTunes. Please Please help me. I just installed Windows 8.1 yesterday.

@ bcode81:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Run the Control Panel > "Programs" > "Programs and Features" > "Activate Windows Features" > check ".NET Framework 3.5" > let Windows Update do the installation.

Regards
Fernando