[Tool] AMD RDNA GOP Updater

This is a highly automated firmware utility for AMD RDNA 1 and RDNA 2 graphics cards. It updates the GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) driver within your VBIOS to ensure maximum compatibility with modern UEFI motherboards.

:down_arrow: Download: GOPamd_v0.8.zip (524 KB, pCloud)

:hammer_and_wrench: How to Use

  1. Drag & Drop: Drag your VBIOS (.rom or .bin) onto GOPamd.exe.
  2. Review: Check the analysis and the comparison between your current and the latest version.
  3. Confirm: Press “Y” to apply the update.
  4. Result: Your patched VBIOS is securely saved as UPDATED_[filename].

:desktop_computer: Supported Graphics Cards

Generation Models Status
RDNA 1 RX 5700 XT, 5700, 5600 XT :white_check_mark: Supported
RDNA 2 RX 6950 XT, 6900 XT, 6800 XT, 6700 XT :white_check_mark: Supported
RDNA 3 RX 7900 XTX, 7900 XT, 7800 XT, 7700 XT :cross_mark: Not Supported
RDNA 4 RX 9070 XT, 9000 :cross_mark: Not Supported
Legacy Radeon VII, Vega, Polaris (RX 400/500) :counterclockwise_arrows_button: GOPlegacy

:prohibited: Why are RDNA 3 and RDNA 4 not supported?

Starting with the RDNA 3 architecture (RX 7000 series) and continuing with RDNA 4 (RX 9000 series), AMD implemented strict hardware-level security checks via the Platform Security Processor (PSP). The VBIOS, including the EFI GOP driver module, is strictly protected by cryptographic signatures.

Replacing or modifying the GOP module alters the file’s hash and breaks this digital signature. As a result, the graphics card will fail the signature validation during boot, preventing the system from POSTing or causing UEFI Secure Boot to reject the device. Modifying the GOP on these newer cards is therefore no longer possible via standard VBIOS patching methods. Furthermore, attempts at a “softload”—loading the driver directly and temporarily into the UEFI environment without permanently flashing the VBIOS—have also proven unsuccessful.

:warning: Disclaimer & Recovery

Warning: Modifying your VBIOS is at your own risk. Always ensure you have a recovery method (iGPU or second GPU) ready. Use the backup in the #BUP folder if you need to revert.

:hot_beverage: Support (PayPal)

5 Likes

Thanks for the update tool.

1 Like

Love the fact you took this on and created this tool.

However, despite a bunch of attempts and bios combos anything I try to flash to my Powercolor 7900xt fails with the GOP 3.8.X from your tool.

Is there a chance RDNA3 only works for the 3.7.x series and 3.8.x is RDNA4 only?

1 Like

H!, would it be possible to get a copy of both the stock BIOS and the modified/failed BIOS image? I’d like to perform a binary comparison to identify potential alignment, header, or padding issues that might be preventing the 3.8.x GOP module from booting correctly on the 7900 XT.

Here you go. I dont have a copy of your 0.2 release anymore so I just modified it again using your latest 0.3 release.

I also want to clarify that it wasnt a booting issue. The image would just fail to even flash to my card, even using patched flashers that bypass certain checks. Ive crossed flashed and updated other vbios before with no issue so this isnt my first rodeo. But for some reason trying to apply any vbios patched by tool 0.2 results in a corrupt flash partition.

As a side note, is 3.8 the newest? I thought I saw a 3.10 in the last release of UBU in one of the other threads here.

VBIOSes.zip (1.9 MB)

I will look deeper into the different versions.

Furthermore, could you please take your original BIOS, update the GOP version again using the new GOPamd_v0.6_RC, and try flashing it one more time?

Also, it is now possible to manually select the GOP version you want to use. You can do this with the following command:

GOPamd.exe -forceupdate <vbios.rom> <custom.efirom>

– WHAT IT DOES -----------------------------------------------

  1. Reads and validates the custom .efirom:

    • Must have a valid EFI ROM signature (0x55 0xAA)
    • PcirOffset must be within bounds
    • GOP payload must be decompressable
  2. Applies the same patch pipeline as normal mode:

    • Vendor ID / Device ID / ClassCode transferred from VBIOS
    • Indicator forced to 0x80 (Last Image)
    • GOP ROM Checksum recalculated
    • Mirror GOP updated if present (RDNA 4)
    • Legacy Checksum recalculated
  3. Writes output as:
    FORCE_<original_filename>.rom

Hello! Unfortunately the result is the same. I end up with the partition of the bios corrupt after the flash attempt.

C:\Users\xxxxx\Desktop\flash>amdvbflash.exe -p 0 newS.rom -fa -fp -fv
AMD IFWI Flasher Tool Version 5.0.874.0-External. Copyright© 2020-2025 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved.

Detecting AMD GPU/APU. Please wait…

Existing IFWI version : 022.001.002.031.000001
IFWI version to be flashed : 022.001.002.031.000001

Existing IFWI PartNumber : 113-EXT84768-001

PartNumber of dGPU to be flashed: 113-EXT84768-001

Existing IFWI SSID : 0x2423

SSID of dGPU to be flashed : 0x2423

FAILED: Flashing ASIC at[0] @0000:03:00.0

Failed to flash the VBIOS.
Error 0x80006000 : Unknown Generic Error

From RDNA Gen 3/4 onward the IFWI is dual-partition on a single chip — the flasher writes the inactive partition, which only becomes active after a successful boot. A failed write leaves the running partition untouched.

The identity checks passed (version, P/N, SSID all matched), so it wasn’t a mismatch — the stock tool’s integrity check rejected the modified image at write time, giving the generic 0x80006000.

Fix: Use this new modified version, which bypasses this check

amdvbflash_879_Moded_v1.zip (3.4 MB) by Benik3

Flash_drivers_v1.2.zip (628.2 KB)

Quick guide to flashing your GOP-patched ROM:

  1. Check state — note the active partition and flash chip: amdvbflash_879_Moded_v1.exe -ai --active and amdvbflash_879_Moded_v1.exe -ai --inactive (confirm Flash Type is GD25LQ16E or a known 25-series)

  2. Flash with v1 first (5.0.879.0 v1), part-number force only: amdvbflash_879_Moded_v1.exe -p 0 UPDATED_X.rom -fp

  3. Power-cycle — full shutdown, not reboot

  4. Repeat steps 2–3 up to 3 times if needed

  5. Verify with amdvbflash_879_Moded_v1.exe -ai --active (check it now shows your patched ROM)

Keep the CH341A + BACKUP_X.rom ready as your safety net throughout.

In a quick rush I did as you said and it failed with the same message.

Are you suggesting I just keep powering off and on for 2-3 more times and run the same command and it will at some point actually take?

Yes, exactly. For some users, it actually takes 2 or 3 tries to work.

Endgame: I will send you another software flasher along with your original BIOS file, which I updated with a tool of mine that hasn’t been released yet.

amdvbflash_616_moded_v2.zip (2.0 MB) by Benik3 for RDNA 3

UPDATED_old_perf.zip (982.7 KB)

Would you prefer I try the new bios you uploaded from the new tool or continue attempting the one I had already generated and performing additional tries?

Try out the new BIOS that I uploaded with the new tool.

Every combination of new bios, flasher, modded flasher, etc that I try results in no joy unfortunately.

As I’ve discovered, this is unfortunately to be expected with RDNA 3 and newer architectures. It’s not due to your methods or the tools you’re using, but rather a fixed limitation of the AMD Platform Security Processor (PSP).

Is this something that works if it’s all attempted on an Intel system which lacks the AMD PSP?

The PSP is a dedicated microcontroller physically integrated onto the GPU chip. This core operates completely independently of the host system. After the computer is switched on, it only requires power to start and activate. There is only one method that is highly likely to work.

Unfortunate. I guess then that getting a hardware programmer won’t work either since it will still fail during boot correct?

friends, i am confused for 5700xt.

which flash tool should I use to flash GOP updated bios on a 5700xt. I am not changing 5700 to 5700xt. I am just updating GOP and reflashing original bios taken from the card itself.

thank you for providing this tool.

You should use AMDVBFlash 2.93+ (MOD) for this.

Even though you are only updating the GOP module and using your original BIOS, modifying the file invalidates its digital signature. Newer, official versions of the flash tool will detect the broken signature and block the process (usually throwing an error).

The 2.93+ (MOD) version bypasses this strict signature check, allowing you to successfully force-flash the modified VBIOS back onto your 5700 XT.

I modified a bios yesterday but noticed that the original had Authenticode signature and GOP 2.8.0.0.0 and the updated GOP became unsigned, as you mentioned.

For this reason, I did not flash yet.

Does an unsigned BIOS cause issues with SecureBoot or something I should be aware of? I was reading a little about it, but I am unsure of the source of the information.

What are the downsides to flashing unsigned BIOS?