[TOOL] Easy automated Mod tool for Coffee Lake bios

from nowhere to glory! Thanks to @Lost_N_BIOS ! I tolerated every silly question I asked, always answering positively. If the achievement I update can make a monkey do it hehe

PS: I hope the mod pad on the CPU won’t bring me problems in the future anyway. THANK YOU

reedit : yes! tape, the problem was about the mother (since it uses 2 pins less) but it seems stable. @Lost_N_BIOS

lostinbios!GOD!.png

@prodan - English please and thanks I did translate it and it looked funny, so probably only half of what you meant to say was correct
Thanks for quick test and report back! Nice to see you running Coffee CPU
No on the CPU pad mod, that is just tape you put on correct? If yes, you can remove any time in future when/if you move this CPU to another board or sell it etc.

@Lost_N_BIOS Sorry can’t really tell from the post #1261 what the next step should be, please advice.

@lkadlcek - Try flashrom methods to dump the BIOS, as linked here, there is a windows GUI version you can use first - [TOOL] Easy automated Mod tool for Coffee Lake bios (76)
The issue with this chip is, read is OK on several softwares or versions, but writes seem to fail. Unless that was only in his case, I am not sure.
1.8V adapter is not needed for your chip I think, I believe you have the 2.7-3.3v chip.

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS I think I have successfully read my bios chip using the windows GUI version of the flashrom.
Please note that with the clip attached to the above mentioned Bios chip there were 2 options/chips to select from in the Flashrom GUI program, I have read both and both reads were successful.

See this link for pics of the bios chip, my new i5 coffee lake CPU (G4400 is my current CPU), the Flashrom options and both .bin files labeled accordingly https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1…GaO?usp=sharing

@lkadlcek - Great, hopefully so, then You can probably write to that way as well This one is correct >> ST N25Q128…3E 16 >> Other one is invalid, I think that ID is the 1.8V chip so invalid dump created (all blank FF)
That is all you need here, correct, coffee mod BIOS? Sorry, just making sure you don’t also need bricked BIOS fixed etc - I don’t have time to look back in thread right now
If yes, you just need Coffee mod, here you go >> http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…598348766999951

Program in, then remove 8/24 pin from the board, then press and hold the case power on button or short pins for 10-15 seconds, then clear CMOS for 10 seconds. Then let board sit without power for 1+ full minute
Then put cables back, boot to BIOS, load optimized defaults save and reboot back to BIOS, then translate this guide via google translate and see section “7” for the Asus specific stuff - https://forums.overclockers.ru/viewtopic…602278&start=60

If it fails to boot with Coffee CPU, let me know and I will redo with stock BIOS instead of your dump, some Asus require this
Also, make sure you did CPU pad mod according to the image at post #1272 - [TOOL] Easy automated Mod tool for Coffee Lake bios (85)

*** WARNING *** - This BIOS is user specific! If you are not user lkadlcekat Win-RAID.com forum, DO NOT USE THIS BIOS!!
If you do, and you are not lkadlcek, then you will loose your serial, UUID, OG NVRAM, and possibly LAN MAC ID as well.
You have been warned!!!

@Lost_N_BIOS Yes all I’m trying to accomplish is to get the i5 8600K work with my Asus Prime 270-A.
Ok everything you wrote is clear, but there’s no way I can make sense of the Russian translated stuff from section "7", not even close lol, I used google translate. Any chance of getting this in English?
Also what is in your opinion the best/easiest way to short the 2 pins and isolate the other 2? Unfortunately I don’t have any special stuff like silver paint etc.
---------------------------

@Lost_N_BIOS I think this is the English version of the section "7" you referenced on that Russian site, correct?
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/111…e-motherboards/

Would my old G4400 CPU still work in this motherboard after the mod is completed and how can I confirm that the Bios write was successful?

@lkadlcek - Sorry, I meant for you to use Google Translate, to translate that site to English, or your native language etc (that’s how I view it, google translate in English)
I started to give you a translated link, but was not sure if a link like that from google would work or not. Looks fine in English to me via Google translate, but yes, the linustech summary is same at point #7

On the connect pads, you can use conductive paint, ink, silver/copper tape, or solder. Tape off all other pads while you work, especially if you use liquid anything, or solder
Liquid graphite will work as well, pencil not so much. Unless maybe you have a 2B pencil, then it might, but generally speaking pencil is not ideal and will probably not work, also you risk damaging/scratching the area with a pencil
You can also look for SKTOCC or SKT_OCC on the PCB itself, look everywhere, it will be tiny print, if you find then you connect that to ground (mounting hole pad) via solder/wire

Isolate the pads is easy, use kapton/polyimide tape (clear yellow tape)

Yes, G4400 will still work, so you can test the BIOS with that CPU now if you want, still do everything I mentioned so the ME FW state gets reset
You can manually confirm BIOS write is success or not, by NOT powering on the board after write. Close the program, open it again and read/save, then compare that in hex editor with what you wrote, if 100% match then write was OK

[quote="lkadlcek, post:1286, topic:32795"]
Zitat von Lost_N_BIOS im Beitrag #1285
@lkadlcek - Try flashrom methods to dump the BIOS, as linked here, there is a windows GUI version you can use first - https://www.win-raid.com/t3987f16-TOOL-Easy-automated-Mod-tool-for-Coffee-Lake-bios-75.html#msg118088
The issue with this chip is, read is OK on several softwares or versions, but writes seem to fail. Unless that was only in his case, I am not sure.
1.8V adapter is not needed for your chip I think, I believe you have the 2.7-3.3v chip. [/quote]

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS I think I have successfully read my bios chip using the windows GUI version of the flashrom.
Please note that with the clip attached to the above mentioned Bios chip there were 2 options/chips to select from in the Flashrom GUI program, I have read both and both reads were successful.

See this link for pics of the bios chip, my new i5 coffee lake CPU (G4400 is my current CPU), the Flashrom options and both .bin files labeled accordingly https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uwc0j9InIwUBPI02QzUEkhO3RaDTmGaO?usp=sharing

@Lost_N_BIOS So the Bios write was successful, I did the power button and CMOS clear as you instructed and I've booted up the system with my old G4400 and everything seems fine except my on-board DVI monitor port is not working, I tried changing graphic properties in the bios and no change, HDMI port works fine, but no signal on the DVI port, any idea why this is happening?
FYI I did the 8600K CPU pins short and isolated the other two pins also, I did not try to install the 8600K in the board yet as the DVI issue is a deal breaker for me :(

Update: I have instlled the 8600K CPU, loaded optimized settings in BIOS (I did not do the section 7 bios changes as described in the linustech article yet) and system booted up no problem, I see 6 cores in my device manager , but unfortunately still no DVI port signal, only HDMI works

@lkadlcek - Great to hear all seems OK for now! DVI should be OK, but it’s possible that the vBIOS/GOP changes method did not copy over system specific data all 100% correctly during the vBIOS/GOP update.
That, or this version of vBIOS is not 100% compatible with your model. Did you test in both UEFI mode and Legacy modes?
This comment applies to booting method, and if you can see it the Boot >> VGA Support setting (will only be visible w/ fast boot enabled), test both Auto and EFI, along with CSM enabled/disabled (while Security Boot enable/disable with OS Type set to UEFI/Other)
Sorry, yes, that is a lot of settings and combos possible, but all things you can test and check out

The vBIOS/GOP is updated and targeted for your Coffee CPU, so go ahead and try that, this issue may only be affecting the older CPU! If you find same on Coffee CPU, then I will manually redo that aspect of the mod
Also, keep in mind, and don’t freak out if the Coffee CPU does not boot, I may need to redo this edit on stock BIOS (sometimes Asus systems need that)

@Lost_N_BIOS Ok, I have no VGA Support setting in the Boot menu section and yes fast boot is enabled, so I could not try to change between Auto and UEFI here, but when I disabled CSM under the boot menu section the DVI port started working!
I’ve also tried to keep CSM enabled and changed the OS type from Other OS to UEFI and that also did not work…

On another note, how important is it to do the previously mentioned linustech section "7" Bios changes? I asked because the system seems stable, CPU temp seems fine too.
I’ve ran Prime95 on all 6 cores and temp was at 80-84 degrees C, CPU VID was 1.19-1.20V (0.65V at idle) after few minutes under load, idle temp is 33-35 C, this is with just the stock cooler from the old G4400, I’ll be installing Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler on it now.

@lkadlcek - Then you’d need to Disable CSM and Choose OS Type Legacy/Other, to test legacy vBIOS boot instead of GOP (or I could make you BIOS with VGA setting visible there)
CSM enabled + UEFI Boot type would still = EFI VGA (GOP not legacy), since you can’t change this due to setting hidden from you.

Those changes are for Coffee CPU, you’ll have to decide after reading them which all apply to your case, if any, it may not apply to every Asus but I do think it’s a general Asus/Coffee mod thing.
If you want, I can make you new test BIOS from stock instead, and see if that’s better for you in regards to VGA. If not, I can do the vBIOS update myself, to ensure something isn’t done incorrectly during vBIOS (legacy) settings transfers as the vBIOS is updated via CoffeeTime.
It could also just be that specific vBIOS version is an issue, for your case, it’s hard to say? There is a few we can try, but it all means lots more testing for you. Any BIOS I make you from now on, I will reveal those settings in Boot area, so you can choose what is applied)

Are you using Coffee CPU now? If yes, then any BIOS I sent you now, you can just flash via USB Flashback, since any other edits/changes we do will be BIOS region only.

@Lost_N_BIOS Yes, the 8600K CPU is in now and everything is working and stable after I disabled CSM, system boots up normally, but maybe if you make Bios with the VGA settings visible that will give me more options to try. Sorry the whole legacy vBios vs GOP CSM enabled is a bit confusing to me

FYI not sure if this matters, but I run my system without dedicated GPU, I use the onboard Intel GPU (8600K)

@lkadlcek - Great to hear Coffee CPU is working, that means we don’t have to edit stock BIOS for Coffee to work on your model. So, if there is indeed a VGA (legacy) vBIOS issue here, it’s not due to that.
It may still be due to the automated modification of the vBIOS update, or the vBIOS version itself, or yes, settings
CSM disabled is fine, that is how I boot (Win8-10 mode for OS Type, UEFI in your case + CSM disabled = GOP EFI Boot graphic-wise) But, I do not use onboard graphics, so a little different.

Yes, I knew you were using onboard graphics, this is the only thing affected by vBIOS/GOP, so I already knew

And yes, there is many ways to set a several things, that all control how onboard display output is generated (via vBIOS (legacy) or GOP (UEFI/EFI)).
In general, things to keep in mind as you try to play with all this, and your BIOS has two separate things that handle the display output based on what is applied (vBIOS/Legacy mode and GOP/UEFI mode)
GOP/EFI = UEFI modes
vBIOS = Legacy mode (or UEFI mode WITH CSM enabled)

You have the following settings which all relate to this
1. Secure boot
2. OS Type (can you see this, at Boot >> Secure Boot Submenu?)
3. Fast Boot (and the VGA setting below it, which I will reveal for you now)
4. CSM (which means in general “Help/allow” legacy, while Secure Boot / UEFI mode)
5. Launch Video OPROM policy (inside CSM Submenu), you may not be able to see this either, image requested below to add if needed

Please show me image of your BIOS Boot page with Fast Boot enabled, and with it disabled after setting it to disabled reboot back to Boot to take the image.
Then also, show me image of CSM submenu contents, if you can see/enter that in Boot section. you can use F12 to screenshot BIOS images to USB, then zip for me
Please also include FPT dump of BIOS region as it is now, I will make you another edit to USB Flashback, with the vBIOS updated manually + settings revealed as noted above

Hello,
i’m looking for modded bios for Formula IX 9. Can someone help me.

@Lost_N_BIOS Sorry for the delay, had a busy week.
See the pics you requested.
I have never used the FPT, can you please tell me how to do the FPT BIOS dump? Thank you.

@ShervinGreen - Do you have a flash programmer? What is your current ME FW version (DO NOT UPDATE BIOS)?
What is your old CPU model, and what is your new CPU model AND SSPEC (off top of CPU)?

@lkadlcek - That’s not F12 screenshots Please zip all images above, those are too huge! Thanks
Here’s how to do FPT Dump (ignore the stuff about stock BIOS, but NOT about password, TPM/encryption, secure boot)
Do step #1 and send me the file, also do step #2 and tell me what error you get, if any

If you have already modified the BIOS in ANY way, you will need to re-flash it back to factory defaults using factory method (NOT FPT)!!!
Additionally, please remove all BIOS passwords, disable secure boot, and disable TPM or Encryption if you have enabled. Do this before moving on to below

If you do not have Intel ME drivers installed, install them now from your system driver download page, then start over here after reboot.
Check your BIOS’ main page and see if ME FW version is shown. If not then > DOWNLOAD HWINFO64 HERE <

Once HWINFO is open, look at the large window on the left side, expand motherboard, and find the ME area.
Inside that section is the ME Firmware version. Take note of the version. (ie. write it down or get a screenshot)

Once you have that, go to the thread linked below, and in the section “C.2” find and download the matching ME System Tools Package for your system.
(ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
> DOWNLOAD " ME System Tools " packages HERE <

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and then inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder (NOT x64).
Highlight that Win/Win32 folder, then hold shift and press right click. Choose “open command window here” (Not power shell! >> * See Registry file below *).

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

((If “open command window here” does not appear, look for the “Simple Registry Edit” below…))

Step #1

Now you should be at the command prompt.
You are going to BACKUP the factory un-modified firmware, so type the following command:
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin "

>> Attach the saved "biosreg.bin ", placed into a compressed ZIP/RAR file, to your next post!!! <<

Step #2

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error(s).
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin "
^^ This step is important! Don’t forget! ^^

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

Here is a SIMPLE REGISTRY EDIT that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu, instead of Power Shell
Double-click downloaded file to install. Reboot after install may be required
> CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD CMD PROMPT REGISTRY ENTRY <

If the windows method above does NOT work for you…
Then you may have to copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a Bootable USB disk and do the dump from DOS
( DOS command: " FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin " )

1 Like

Good morning
I have no experience in this subject, so I would like to ask the professionals before I start breaking something or spending money on a new processor.
My motherboard is: MSI B150M NIGHT ELF
I wanted to ask if it can be modified and if so, what maximum processor will support it. Now I can put in the maximum i7 7700K.
Best regards

@Lost_N_BIOS Hi man, it’s me again. Still working on that Z170 Prime A, which is the same board that @lkadlcek is using. I can’t seem to read properly the BIOS chip using the programmer, I am 100% positive that there is proper contact, as I’ve done SPI programming multiple times before. I am currently using the standard USB without 1.8V adapter, but I have that if needed. Here’s what I get when I try to read it, my dump size is limited to 1MB, even though I can read and write properly.

Immagine.png

@dzesio - Very interesting model name! Any Coffee CPU, but ideally not a huge threaded one due to the VRM/Power delivery area of your board is not equipped for massively powered CPU
Stick to 6C/6T or 8C/8T CPU’s, anything above is a NO on compatible list here in section 4.1 - https://forums.overclockers.ru/viewtopic…602278&start=60

@ItxLeo - Some boards need main power cables connected, others need them removed, did you try both ways?? What is chip ID, and what software version are you trying to use?
1MB size limit, and the ID shown in your image, looks like you may be trying to dump the wrong chip? Shoe me image of the chip you are trying to dump too.