TRIM in RAID0 possible for all Intel chipsets from P965/ICH8R up!

Hi,

Will this work for my Evga x58 classified 3x sli (141-BL-E760) motherboard to enable trim?

Greetings,

Zuignapje86

@ zuignapje:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

There is no guarantee, but I am rather optimistic, that you will get TRIM into your Intel ICH10R RAID0 array, if you replace the original Intel RAID ROM of your mainboard BIOS by the modded one.

Regards
Fernando

There is no guarantee, but I am rather optimistic, that you will get TRIM into your Intel ICH10R RAID0 array, if you replace the original Intel RAID ROM of your mainboard BIOS by the modded one.

Regards
Fernando

I have tried to apply the raid rom to my bios file but it seems that i can’t open it in cbrom. The tuturial shows how to open a .bin file, my bios is an .iso, does that matter?

Link to my original bios: ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/E760_83.iso

Thanks,

zuignapje

Maybe extract the iso first?

Sorry im quite new to all this, just got here because i googled for trim support on my motherboard. Did not read everything yet, will do tommorow :).

Did not read everything yet, will do tommorow :).

SkOrPn is right. After having extracted the ISO file content by using a tool like 7-Zip you will see the BIOS file named E76083.BIN.
When you will open it with the tool CBROM, it will look like this:

The original Intel RAID ROM of the BIOS is v10.5.0.744 and named SATAOROM.BIN.

Thanks, i managed to do a succesfull flash. But trim does not seems to be enabled when i run trimcheck.

Have you triggered TRIM before doing the test? Have you done a manual TRIM test by using a Hex Editor?
Furthermore we would like to get some informations about your system (sort of SSDs and sort of their configuration) and the OS you are running.

Have you triggered TRIM before doing the test? Have you done a manual TRIM test by using a Hex Editor?
Furthermore we would like to get some informations about your system (sort of SSDs and sort of their configuration) and the OS you are running.

Re-created my raid array and triggered trim and now its working! Finally some reasonable speed on my sata-II. Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

Hi,

I inserted the modded Intel 11.6 rom module into my bios file for the EVGA Classified X58 759 Board and verified trim is working with the intel 11.7 drivers with two
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128gb drives in raid 0 however randomly a drive got dropped I think as the driver expressed it was reinitializing the array. After a reboot the array
needed to be checked for consistency and chkdsk found some bad files that were deleted. So I’m not sure if these drives are to blame or the mod doesn’t work
100%. Maybe I need to disable write caching of the array?

Thanks

@ davidm71:
Thanks for your report.

Although I don’t think, that the randomly occurring inconsistency of your RAID data has anything to do with the RAID ROM modification, only CPL0 (akanDufus) will be able to answer this question.

You can find it out yourself by temporarily disabling the write caching setting.

My feeling is its the drives. I had hesitations about purchasing Sandisk drives. Reviews I read said they are decent and I figured for an X58 Sata 2 controller should be alright but if they drop out of the array its not good.
I contacted Amazon and they said they will take the drives back. So going to return them. Need two cheap good quality drives for raid 0 once again!

Thanks.

@ all users with an ICH10R Southbridge and an SSD RAID0 array:

If you are interested in getting TRIM activity within your RAID0 array, I have good news for you.
Today (01/26/2014) our Forum member and OROM modding expert CPL0 (aka Dufus) gave me the links to some different Intel RAID ROM versions, which have been modified by him to support the TRIM in RAID0 feature for Intel ICH10R RAID0 systems.
Before I will offer them for the public download, I need the feedback from ICH10R RAID0 users, who are willing to test them.

New “universally” (not chipset specific) usable TRIM modded Intel RAID ROM versions available for testing purposes

These are the available OROM versions:

1. modded Intel RST RAID ROM v10.5.1.1070
  2. modded Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702 (modified in another way than the previously for ICH10R systems offered especial OROM module)
    Note: According to CPL0 this variant may fix the reported problem with additionally used Marvell SATA Controllers.
  3. modded Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936

Owners of an X58 chipset mainboard with an SSD RAID0 array, who are interested in testing one or more of the available modded Intel RAID ROM modules, should send me a PM. Then I will give them the download link.

I am awaiting your message
Fernando

Hello.

Well I gave this updated new modded Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702 a quick test on my ASUS Rampage III Extreme board and it does indeed seem to fix the issues with it when the onboard Marvell SATA Controller is enabled along side the Intel Controller configured in RAID mode.

Both Controllers can now be enabled at the same time.

The really good news is TRIM in RAID 0 is still fully working without issues.

I’ll give the other modded Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936 a test later on today and post back if TRIM in RAID 0 works and if it causes any issues with the onboard Marvell SATA Controller.

EDIT by Fernando: Text formatting corrected

@ sinders:

Thank you very much for having done your first test so quickly and for your report, which is really good news for users with a similar system.
If your findings should be confirmed by additional tests, I will put the download links to the freshly modded OROM modules into the start post of >this< thread.

I have just finished quickly testing the new modded Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936 and TRIM in RAID 0 appears to be working on my ASUS Rampage III Extreme board.

This modded Intel RST(e) RAID ROM also doesn’t seem to cause any issues with the onboard Marvell SATA Controller.

@ sinders:

Thank you very much for your clear test result.

@ CPL0:
Sinders report is good news not only for Intel ICH10R RAID0 users, but for you as the modifier of the OROMs as well. Your work is really awesome!
On behalf of the Forum members I have to thank you so much, that you have spent the time for this difficult modification.

@ all:
As a consequence of the positive test results I will put the download links to the freshly modded 3 Intel RAID ROM modules into the start post of >this< thread as soon as possible.

Regards
Fernando

Thank you for testing with Marvell Sinders.

Fernando, since the first 11.6 obviously has some bugs I would recommend ditching it and using just the revised 11.6 mod.

Note that this a very simple mod, just setting bits 7 and 4 at offset 0x22 from $ver so you can apply this to other versions from 10.5 to 13.0. If you compare original and modified versions I think you will see what I mean.

Also this should be a universal mod, not just for ICH10R, to provide RAID0 trim across all series so no need to have separate OROMs for P45, P55, P67, Z68 and so on. Even P35 has a chance if able to inject and run the bigger OROM sizes.

Hi CPL0. I just wanted to say thanks so much for your modded Intel RAID ROMs. Your work is very appreciated.

Do you have any idea if this mod will also work with Intel RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527?

If this modification should also work with this Intel RAID ROM, could somebody that knows what they are doing when working with a hex editor please try the modification CPL0 stated above in his post on this Intel RAID ROM and private message me for testing the Intel RAID ROM out.

Thanks.

Yes, it should work for 10.5 to 13.

As it is an easy mod I have asked Fernando to try the mod himself since I don’t spend much time these days with RAID modding.

BTW as a tip I don’t know if everyone is aware but you can bypass the legacy RAID option ROM loading by holding down the right shift key just as it is about to run. Timing may be difficult though. Instead of the normal RAID screen there should be a message to the effect of “Option ROM will not be loaded”. Might be useful for misbehaving mods :wink: