TRIM in RAID0 possible for all Intel chipsets from P965/ICH8R up!

I think I might have got TRIM in RAID 0 working with the Intel RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527.

After the modification, I am now getting CONCLUSION: TRIM appears to be WORKING! from the TrimCheck Tool with this Intel RAID ROM version.

I have sent CPL0 a private message to check for me to make sure I have done all the necessary and correct modifications.

If I have done the modifications properly, i’ll send you Fernando a link to the modded Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527.

@sinders ,

Congratulations, it looks like you finally got your favorite of all OROMs finally modded for TRIM :wink:

Thanks SkOrPn. I have sent Fernando the modded Intel RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527.

He should have it officially posted on the site shortly for people to download.

You are right. I have already corrected the download links and removed the old version from the hosting servers.

Thanks for having already done the modification yourself!
I will offer the TRIM in RAID0 modded Intel RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527 for the public download very soon!

Does the modded oROMs work for other RAID configurations, say, RAID 1/5, as well?

Just modified for RAID0. I haven’t used RAID1 so not sure if Intel have introduced trim in RAID1 yet, anyone? You would think they would include it!

Just flashed the ASUS P5Q Premium 2406 BIOS modded with Intel RAID oROM 13.1.0.2030 (>Modified Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v13.1.0.2030 with TRIM in RAID0 support<). Old RAID5 configuration created using oROM v10.1.0.1008 is still alive. No problems occurred when booting the OS of RHEL7 beta 1. System performance is similar.

Thanks for the report.
Have you tested the TRIM support? I don’t think, that it will work, but it may be worth a try.

Trim RAID1 from Intel discussions https://communities.intel.com/thread/48161

Thanks for the report.
Have you tested the TRIM support? I don’t think, that it will work, but it may be worth a try.

It should work just fine I would think. It is a Intel P45 / ICH10R based motherboard.

engineer has a RAID5 and not a RAID0 array.

engineer has a RAID5 and not a RAID0 array.

Ah, lol I missed that part. Sorry…

Just wanted to confirm that the 12.7 modded orom with the 12.9 rst drivers have passed the trimtest.exe trim test on my Evga Classified 759 X58 Board.

Not sure about compatibility with JMB controller. Have to test that one out but afraid it will cause issues.

Thanks

EDIT: JMB controller boots side by side with the 12.7 with out issues. :slight_smile:

@ all users with an SSD RAID0 and an Intel 3-, 4-, 5- or 6-Series Chipset system:

We need your TRIM test reports!

In January 2014 our Forum member CPL0 detected a new “universally” (not chipset specific) usable modding method to enable the TRIM in RAID0 feature for nearly all Intel chipsets from P35 up (look >here<. This new modding method may not only offer the TRIM in RAID0 feature for the originally not supported Intel 3- and 4-Series chipsets, but additionally will make the “Especially modified” Intel RAID ROM versions dispensable, which I am offering since for P55 and P67/Z68 chipsets since the end of 2012.
Meanwihie we got the confirmation by the Forum members sinders, apavoncello1988 and davidm71, that the Intel RAID ROM versions v11.2.0.1527, v11.6.0.1702 and v12.7.0.1936, which had been modded according CPL0’s recently detected method, definitively do support TRIM in RAID0 for Intel X58 chipset systems with an ICH10R Southbridge.

What we still need is the verification,
a) that this new TRIM in RAID0 modding method works with Intel ICH9R Southbridges, Intel 5-Series and Intel 6-Series Chipsets as well and
b) that even the TRIM in RAID0 modded old Intel RST RAID ROM modules v10.1.0.1008 and v10.5.0.1070 are able to let the TRIM command pass through the Intel SATA RAID Controller.
That is why I want to encourage users with an SSD RAID0 and an Intel 3-,4-,5- or 6-Series chipset to test one of the freshly modded Intel RAID ROM modules and report here regarding the results they got.

When you post your report, please don’t forget to mention the Intel RAID driver version you have used while doing the TRIM test.
Thanks in advance for your support!

Regards
Fernando

Isn’t there anyone, who is able and willing to do the required tests?
Please read the last post for details.
I would rather like to remove the “especially modded” Intel RAID ROM module versions for P55, P67 and Z68 chipsets from the start post of >this< thread, but need a confirmation, that the “universally (not chipset specifically) modded” Intel RAID ROM versions do support the TRIM in RAID0 as well.

Ok I have a little time now, I do a test with the 10.1 OROM on my X79 chipset. I have a stored image backup from my last clean install. Will rebuild my RAID now with 10.1 modded, put the image backup to test and after I restore my current setup. I report this evening. Do you have a wish which driverset I should test with the OROM?

Allthough during post it says "hardware not supported" and no RAID configuration screen lights up the TRIM feature works under Windows. Used the modded 10.1.x OROM and SATA driver 13.0.0.1072

Thank you very much for having tested the "universally TRIM modded" Intel RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008. Your finding, that TRIM definitively had passed through your Intel SATA RAID Controller into the RAID0 array, is very good news especially for users with an X58 chipset mainboard and limited OROM space within its BIOS. From now on they will be able to get the TRIM in RAID0 feature by putting the "Universally TRIM modded" Intel RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008 into their mainboard BIOS.
Since none of the "universally TRIM modded" Intel RAID ROM versions do support Intel C600 (X79) SATA RAID Controllers (DEV_2826), I assume, that you have set the BIOS to "RST mode" before you created the RAID array.

Thanks again for having taken the time to do the test!
Fernando

Since none of the “universally TRIM modded” Intel RAID ROM versions do support Intel C600 (X79) SATA RAID Controllers (DEV_2826), I assume, that you have set the BIOS to “RST mode” before you created the RAID array.

That’s right. I used DEV_2822 by switching in BIOS. Results for TRIM-Check were 2 times intermediate and 1 time working. I think it counts as success.

Regards hanson

Good news: CPL0’s new TRIM modded OROMs definitively work with 6-Series Chipset systems!

Today I have reactivated my good old Z68 RAID0 system (ASUS P8Z68-V with 2x128GB Crucial M4 SSDs as RAID0 array running Windows 8 in Legacy mode, still in use and not replaced Intel RAID driver: v12.8.0.1016) and done some TRIM in RAID0 tests.
The intention of my tests was to find out, if the “Universally TRIM modified” Intel RST RAID ROMs (look >here<) really do support the TRIM in RAID0 feature for Intel Z68 SATA RAID Controllers.

This was the general procedure of my tests:

1. Flashing the actual BIOS version 3603 containing the original (v11.2.0.1527) resp. the “Universally TRIM modified” Intel RST RAID ROM modules v10.1.0.1008, v11.2.0.1527 and v12.9.0.1936.
  2. Doing the required BIOS settings.
  3. Entering the Intel RAID Utility (CTRL+I), checking the OROM version and the health of the Intel RAID0 array.
  4. Running the Win8 “Optimizer” to trigger TRIM.
  5. Executing the TrimCheck tool v0.5 (look >here<).

These were the results I got:
  • original (untouched) Intel RST RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527: no TRIM activity detected by the TrimCheck tool (message: “TRIM appears to be not working”).
  • “Universally TRIM modified” Intel RST RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008: TRIM is active within the RAID0 array (at first try after 15 sec: “TRIM appears to be working”).
  • “Universally TRIM modified” Intel RST RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527: TRIM is active within the RAID0 array (at first try after 15 sec: “TRIM appears to be working”).
  • “Universally TRIM modified” Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936: TRIM is active within the RAID0 array (at first try after 15 sec: “TRIM appears to be working”).

As a consequence I will stop offering “Especially modified” Intel ROM modules for P55 and P67/Z68 RAID0 systems. There is no need anymore for these differently modded OROMs, because the “Universally modified” OROMs will enable the TRIM in RAID0 support for all these Intel chipsets as well.