[SOLVED] Trying to Clean Intel CSME but there are some problems

I am using a Razer Blade 15 2018 Advanced ( CSME 12.0 ). I am trying to Clean CSME (for learning purposes only). I am just a normal user and Clean CSME following this Guide:

With my machine it was not too difficult. I have created outimage.bin (containing Cleaned CSME). However I do not know how to Flash it into my BIOS chip. I used the command: FPTW64 -F outimage.bin but got the error:

error 238: the host cpu does not have write access to the target flash area. to enable write access for this operation you must modify the descriptor settings to give host access to this region (like the image below when trying to Flash - example).

Then I tried using the command: FPTW64 -BIOS -F outimage.bin and it was successfully Flashed. But I don’t know if my Clean CSME was actually imported into the BIOS chip or just the BIOS Partition imported into the machine (because I used -BIOS, I wonder about this). Do I have to Flash more with the command: FPTW64 -ME -F outimage.bin or not (because my original BIOS weighs 16,384KB so I haven’t used this command because I see the ME Partition is only 8,188KB). So. Is there any way to know if my BIOS after Flashing has been Clean ME or not?

I used ME Analyzer to check and found that with File 12.0.81.1753_CON_H_BA_PRD_EXTR.bin, OEM Configuration = No and File System State = Unconfigured BUT with BIOS File (after CLEAN i dump it again) it said OEM Configuration = Yes and File System State = Initialized

Please help me. Thank you very much

[Guide] Unlock Intel Flash Descriptor Read/Write Access Permissions for SPI Servicing - Special Topics / Intel Management Engine - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

The forum has a lot of info providing lot of past user experiences as well info related to these tools and Intel Management Interface… i do suggest to start reading/learning first, cause this tools will not care of what cmds and data you provide them, a tiny error can lead to a death system/un-bootable.

The “Clean” guide is for reparing a corrupted Intel ME FW image on the system, it is NOT needed for upgrading the FW itself, so if no experience in this area do not engage such actions and try to manually update only the MEi FW

Does the system behaves strangely? Do you see 0.0.0.0 in ME displayed in bios? Do you have an exclamation mark on Intel ME windows device manger? If so then the image is corrupted (usually…), a part form that, the cleaning is not necessary/taken risks to the system.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I successfully wrote ME by following the guide you sent me to enable ME FW Image Re-Flash: [Guide] Unlock Intel Flash Descriptor Read/Write Access Permissions for SPI Servicing - Special Topics / Intel Management Engine - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

Actually I am trying to Clean ME so that I can have an Intel ME like MacBooks because Intel MacBooks use the original ME. The main purpose is to Fix DRM on a Hackintosh (install macOS on unsupported hardware). I also understand that I can brick the machine but I am not worried because I have CH341A tool. I have gained a lot of knowledge after doing that. Winraid forum is so so great.

Thank you for the feedback, glad you made and the learning experience from this forum was useful, all the best.

1 Like