Unable to update Intel ME on HP Spectre X2 after previous BIOS update

Hi All,
I’ve just come across this forum after trying to work out why I can’t install the latest HP BIOS or ME Firmware on my HP Spectre x2.

Since install the F.29 BIOS on the device, I’ve been unable to install any of the new Intel ME updates published by HP. They recently release a new BIOS (F.31 sp88868) & another ME update (sp90139); however both of these continue to fail to install.

Error given by MEInfo is:
Error 86: Communication error between application and Intel(R) ME module (FWU client)
Error 81: Internal error (Could not determine FW features information)

Any help you can give would be much appreciated. The device is also having an issue where it doesn’t power off after a shutdown, which I’ve found other references of this being due to having ME issues… So hoping that getting ME updated would finally fix this too.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, run Flash Programming Tool with parameter “-greset” and the system should reboot. Afterwards, run MEInfo with parameter “-fwsts” and show me the result. Also, run Flash Programming Tool with parameter “-me -d me.bin” and show me the result.

Hey thanks for getting back to me. Here is the outputs as requested:

Intel(R) MEInfo Version: 11.8.55.3510
Copyright(C) 2005 - 2017, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
FW Status Register1: 0x8030404E
FW Status Register2: 0x340D0006
FW Status Register3: 0x00000420
FW Status Register4: 0x00000000
FW Status Register5: 0x00000000
FW Status Register6: 0x00000000
CurrentState: Unknown (14)
ManufacturingMode: Disabled
FlashPartition: Valid
OperationalState: CM0 with UMA
InitComplete: Initializing
BUPLoadState: Success
ErrorCode: Debug Error
ModeOfOperation: Normal
SPI Flash Log: Not Present
FPF HW Source value: FPF HW Not Set
ME FPF Fusing Patch Status: ME FPF Fusing patch NOT supported in this FW Version
Phase: BringUp
ICC: Valid OEM data, ICC programmed
ME File System Corrupted: No
PhaseStatus: CHECK_BUP_OVERRIDE_STRAP
FPF and ME Config Status: Not committed

and

Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool. Version:  11.8.55.3510
Copyright (c) 2007 - 2017, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid

--- Flash Devices Found ---
GD25B64B ID:0xC84017 Size: 8192KB (65536Kb)

Error 318: The host CPU does not have read access to the target flash area. To enable read access for this operation you must modify the descriptor settings to give host access to this region.
FPT Operation Failed.

Cheers!
Jason

Alright, these seems to be some sort of firmware corruption. The problem is either at the CSME or the HP BIOS firmware. From what I can see at the CSME status, it is possible that the BIOS is the issue. Probably bad settings/NVRAM. Try resetting BIOS settings to default first. Then power down the system, unplug power for 1 minute and check if the problem persists.

Thanks, will give it a shot tomorrow & let you know.

Sorry for the long delay on getting back of this… life got in the way of things.

Reset bios defaults did nothing unfortunately.

The CSME firmware is corrupted and needs a re-flash. If you have warranty, I suggest you use it. Otherwise, you will need to enable read/write access first by unlocking the Flash Descriptor, dumping your SPI/BIOS image, following the Engine CleanUp Guide and re-flashing the fixed firmware back.

1 Like

Nah no warranty anymore, doubt HP will do anything outside of warranty for me too.

I’ll have a read through the links & give it a shot. Thanks.