unhiding SATA controller modes in Acer Aspire T671

Hello. I have this pc, it’s an old pc based on sb600 southbridge by ATI/AMD.
The chipset supports RAID and AHCI but there’s no option in the bios to set them, so the controller is stuck into IDE mode.
So I looked around and found options can be unhidden using modbin6.
I opened the BIOS in modbin6 under windows xp on a virtual machine, navigated to the options and set SATA controller menu as “normal” and modes (RAID, AHCI etc…) as selectable.
Then I saved the new bios, I opened it again with modbin and I received no error.
Here’s a rar file that contains the original and the modified bios.
Is it safe to flash the new one?

BIOS file

nobody? really?

@chriz74 :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

There is always an enhanced risk of a BIOS flashing failure, when the user has modified system BIOS modules.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Yes I know there’s an inherent risk in flashing a modded bios. I just wanted to know if that sounds like a correct way to mod this bios. I can backup the original one with a spi flasher before. @Fernando

You should better ask the manufacturer of your system, whether this sort of BIOS modding is "correct".
You want to minimize the risks, but I doubt, that anybody will overtake any responsability.

@Fernando Just to let you know, I went ahead and flashed the bios, SATA RAID / AHCI is now unlocked:

I also found some sb600 drivers that seem to work with Windows 10 but give a BSOD while shutting down “driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (storport.sys)”.
Do you have any clue on how to solve this issue (BSOD) and keep the drivers instead of using standard Microsoft storahci?

Acer Aspire T671 unlocked AHCI / RAID bios

Please post the DeviceID of your on-board AMD SATA AHCI Controller.

@Fernando

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4380&SUBSYS_73261462

According to my knowledge there is no AMD AHCI driver available, which will support the SB600 own "AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller" in AHCI mode while running Win8 or Win10.
So I recommend to stick with the generic MS AHCI driver.

@Fernando are you sure? The drivers install on Windows 10 with the have disk method. What I did was:

look into linux ahci.c drivers source code

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/ata/ahci.c

found matching motherboard (sb600) Asus M2AVM in comments

look for M2AVM drivers,

drivers found on https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M2AVM/HelpDesk_Download/

by selecting OS VISTA64 / chipset / ATI SB600 RAID/AHCI Controller Driver for Windows XP & 64bit XP & 32bit/64bit Vista.(WHQL)

original link

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/sa…00_RAIDAHCI.zip

Install with have a disk method on w10 x64.
The hardware id on my t671 machine is PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4380&SUBSYS_73261462
Then two items appeared on hardware list:

ATI AHCI Compatible RAID Controller
ATI RAID Console

Everything works but the irql error appears when shutting off regarding storport.sys

Also… this stoport driver is used in windows for SCSI as it should be more performant … but the controller doesn’t have SCSI ports. I have to try this selecting RAID in bios instead of AHCI. Will report back.