Unlocking menus in AMI aptio V5 - Notebook

Hello,

I’m new here and I’m glad to find this forum.
I got a new notebook and it came with the terrible Nvidia optimus.
In the past I managed to modded bios to unlock the BIOS menus in my previous notebooks.

But now I’m have to learn everything again…

My notebook is a MSI GE62VR, it has Aptio V AMI BIOS (not UEFI) which I was able to extract with 5.08.02.1189, modified with AMIBCP 5.01.0014.

When I tried to flash I got BIOS checksum error (AFUDOS and AFUWIN).
I tried one unmodified dump and got same error. For every dump I got a different checksum.

Anyone can tell me what’s wrong?

Thanks!

Hi creysson,

Welcome to Win-Raid! :smiley:

AFUDOS will not flash a BIOS if it is not signed by the OEM (original equipment manufacturer, in this case, MSI). BIOS dumps from AFUDOS do not contain the OEM signature, since the program strips out other BIOS data that would be related to the OEM (AMI ChangeLogo, AFUWIN, MMTool, and other AMI tools do the same thing to prevent the user from modifying the BIOS – this is why some BIOS modules in MMTool (another proprietary AMI utility) won’t be inserted if unsigned ones are detected). The undocumented /GAN override command will only work on Aptio v3 BIOSes. This flash lock in the AFUDOS/AMI programs are present regardless of Aptio BIOS version.

Therefore, I recommend you try using Intel FPT. I have made a tutorial for it on this page. Intel FPT dumps the BIOS directly from the SPI chip and does not require an OEM signature to flash a modified BIOS. Some OEMs allow direct read/write access to the BIOS region without modifying the flash descriptor region (although for flashing the ME firmware/configuration you will need to modify it). Note that dumping the BIOS using FPT will also dump your current BIOS/NVRAM settings, including BIOS/HDD passwords and boot order, so it is important to disable those before a dump and change the boot order after a dump so you aren’t locked out of your system.

Thanks,
Exec360

Thanks Exec360!

With FPT I’m able to dump and to flash the bios.
I used AMIBCP to set all views to USER but no new menu has been shown.

I’m trying to see the submenus in Advanced.
Is there any other thing preventing them to show?

|addpics|cp3-1-ec2a.jpg-invaddpicsinvv|/addpics|

I managed to dump and to flash the BIOS with INTEL FPT.
After modified with AMIBCP for aptio V and to flash, the menus remains locked.

I believe it’s hard coded.
Meanwhile I extracted setup.ffs but I don’t know which HEX sequence I should look for.

Any directions?