Upgrade from i3-6006U

Hi
I’ve been struggling a lot lately looking for CPUIDs in my BIOS to find out which CPUs are supported by my BIOS. When I drag the whole .exe bios file to MCE it says that the file doesn’t contain any microcodes. Does the bios file need to be converted into a different file type or am I not getting something? Thank you for any replies

bios 0XCN45WW: BIOS Update for Windows 7 (64-bit), Windows 10 (64-bit) - Notebook - Lenovo Support GB

Innoextract, then 7zip, fd- file has padding before and after image!

But that’s unpacking a Lenovo exe and is off topic for MCE

Thank’s a lot for the help!

Could you help me with localization of the CPUIDs please? I got to the bios.fd file but don’t want to further discuss it here if it is not appropriate.

You did come to this thread… so why dont you drop the FD file on the MC Extractor?

EDIT: Oh… you expected what? 10…50???
CPUID is by family not by unique cpu model or maybe both tools are wrong? MCE and UEFItool?
Oh…we must report this asap…damm tools are broken…

I did but it only lists two CPUIDs, that doesn’t seem right, only two CPUs?

Sorry, I thought CPUID is unique for every CPU, thanks for the help!

It might help if you could tell you us what you want to achieve. In your case it’s just one usable microcode, 406E3. Look for example into the Intel update docs to find the processor classes covered:

Affected Processors: Guidance for Security Issues on Intel® Processors

I want to transplant a new cpu into my laptop (I’m sort of a hardware guy :D, not software that much). I have i3-6006u, and wanted to know which CPUs were compatible. A’ll be searching for a used motherboard to extract a CPU from it. I thought only cpu-world had a CPUID database, didn’t know intel had one. Way more information than I was hoping for, thanks a lot!

Well, FCBGA1356 is BGA? Do you really want to desolder / resolder a cpu?

There might be whitelisting in the bios, would recommend to stick to cpus that Lenovo sold this machine with… Otherwise it’ll be quite a lot of variables why the new cpu doesn’t work.

Hw maintenance manual

6560u should be supported since bios is for 310-15ISK and that one was sold with 6560u also, I’ll pick that one, found it used second hand https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Lenovo_Laptops/ideapad_310_15_310_15_Touch/ideapad_310_15_310_15_Touch_Spec.PDF

Good luck!

1 Like

You dont know what youre dealing with… as lfb6 said, this is a SOLDERED cpu on the motherboard.

EDIT: Yeah consider it already a victim of it, anyway all the best with it.

Yeah, I’ll unsolder it, reball new one and solder back on. A little practise on dead boards and then to the real thing. I don’t have a BGA rework station but one must start somewhere :D.