Use a Xeon E3 1240V5 on an Asus Maximus VIII Hero

Hello
I would like to run a xeon e3 1240 v5 on my maximus viii hero but I don’t know how to do
Here is the bios of my board : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnqN2CcDn986khCI4Mmm9vYXyeIV?e=hlStuK

Thank for your help :slight_smile:

Edit by Fernando: Thread title customized

@_marco027 - program in with programmer (erase, blank check, then write/verify)
Once you are done, remove all power from board if not already (8pin + 24pin) and then press and hold the power on button for 10 seconds or so (or short pins), then let board sit one minute without power.
After that, start per usual, load optimal etc, and you should be able to start with Xeon in place too.

First, try with BIOS C2.bin, if that fails to work use 74.bin - both same ME FW version (11.0.0.1191 - Reserved > HAP Bit set = ME Disabled), C2 is microcode C2 (original), 74 BIOS is old microcode 74
https://ufile.io/0hwdf0hz

@Lost_N_BIOS thank you I will try with these bios I tell you if it boot :slight_smile:
-----------------
Hello
works well with the C2.bin Thank you very much !

Make sure restarting works correctly - sometimes, when certain boards have certain versions of ME disabled, the motherboard will refuse to start after it is turned off, until it is power cycled from the PSU.

@_marco027 - Thanks for quick test and report back, great to hear it’s working with latest microcode too

Please check shut down and reboot as mentioned above, thanks @_haru - If he has that issue, is there another ME FW that’s possible to use in this case that may not have that problem or it doesn’t matter and the board/BIOS is the issue with any ME disabled?

It’s a 100-series motherboard, so if it doesn’t restart properly, a different version of ME should do the trick.

Thanks @_haru - do you have a suggested ME FW version to use if we find that is the case in this instance? Can “any” ME FW version be used, provided HAP bit disabled, or does it have to be 11.0.0?
I think I made set of test BIOS for someone long ago, and found 11.0.0.1191 to be best working, a few after that didn’t work, like maybe 11.0.1 or 11.1 or higher, but there was a few more above 11.0.0.1191 we didn’t try but we assumed might work. However, I don’t remember what chipset or board that was

Sorry, I don’t remember off the top of my head. I think 11.6 and onwards is when the restart issues happen?

@_haru - OK, then maybe we’re good, since I used 11.0, so if restart issues didn’t happen until 11.6 should be OK here

@Lost_N_BIOS , @_marco027 could you reupload this mod? thank you very much

Hi all.
Please help with my problem.
I want to merge my Asus Maximus VIII Formula (z170) and Xeon E3-1270 v5.
Had an unsuccessful attempt, but still want to install the bios mod.
Please let me know what i need to do to get my motherboard to work with my processor.
Thanks