Verification of my work before flashing the BIOS

Hello;

First time working through this so I wanted to ensure I had done everything correctly before flashing my BIOS with the modded one:

Start
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-v PRO BIOS 3603
IRST: 10.6.2.1001

I downloaded Intel RST RAID ROM v10.6.0.1091 to use in the BIOS

As soon as I started I was a bit worried as UBU did not see EFI IRST SATA and I’m not sure if it should have or not?

So here is the progression:

Does this look correct or have I overlooked anything?

Am I good to flash my BIOS with the ROM file?

Thanks!

@ Logun:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Questions:
1. To which SATA mode (AHCI or RAID) have you set the Intel SATA Controller within the BIOS?
2. Why did you install such old Intel AHCI/RAID driver?

It was a good decision, that you changed your mind and updated the Intel RAID ROM of your BIOS to a more actal version (although I would have prefered v12.7.0.1936 for your chipset).

The BIOS of Intel 6-Series chipset mainboards usually doesn’t contain the Intel EFI SATA module named SataDriver.

2 x Yes!

Good luck!
Fernando

I have my the SATA mode set to RAID. I hope that doesn’t cause any issues?

I updated the IRST up to the current version on ASUS’s product page. I worry a bit that upgrading would not be compatible if it’s not listed.

I went through the process twice and the first time used 12.7, so I can use that output ROM instead of the second ROM I created.

I’ll go through the flash process when I return home and hope for the best!

Thanks a lot for all your work on this!

No, there is nothing to worry about.

All actual Intel RAID ROM modules are compatible with your mainboard.

I’ve finished the flashing of the new BIOS and re-run TRIMCHECK.

It is still telling me that TRIM is NOT working.

I will try an alternate method of modding the BIOS and give it another shot.

I updated the IRST to 12.0.0.1083 and grabbed the special mod as was detailed here:
http://www.win-lite.de/wbb/board208-spec…html#post156472

TRIMCHECK is still showing as Not working.

How can I check to see that the mod was done properly?

@ Logun:
1. You should not refer to any of the outdated threads, which I had started at win-lite.de a long time ago. These threads are not supported anymore by me since several months.
2. All TRIM modded Intel RAID ROM versions, which I ever have offered within the start post of >this< thread, definitively do support the TRIM in RAID0 feature.
3. If you have created a RAID0 array with 2 or more SSDs as members, I recommend to flash a BIOS, which contains any of the “Universally TRIM modified” Intel RAID ROM versions. For P67/Z68 systems I recommend to take v12.7.0.1936.
4. When you want to check, if TRIM is really working within your RAID0 array, you should trigger TRIM before you are doing the test. For details you should look >here<.

ok I’ll give it another try. Fresh install of windows too.

hmm well I went through the process again.

I started on my P8Z68-v Pro BIOS: 3603 and IRST 11.2.0.1006

I downloaded UBU and use it to mod a copy of the 3603 BIOS and Intel_RSTe_RAID-ROM_v12.7.0.1936_with_TRIM-in-RAID0_mod-acc-CPL0 (the file inside the RAR was called 8086-2822_v12701936_mod-for-TRIM-in-RAID0.bin)

Using UBU I modd’ed to 12.7.0.1936

I put that on USB (it was named P8Z68PRO.ROM) went into my BIOS upon start up and using ASUS EZ Flash I updated successfully.

Running TRIMCHECK upon startup says TRIM is not working.

I rebooted once more and TRIM is still not working.

At this point if there was a pre-modded ROM I could download I would give that a shot. Else I might decide that it’s time to upgrade my system :slight_smile: (Maybe a Z87 board)

Thanks for all the work yourself and others have put into this, and for taking the time to help me work through it all too!

I suspect, that you have done something wrong with the result, that UBU has inserted the original and not the TRIM modded Intel RAID ROM.
If you want to let UBU do the work, you have to do the following:

1. Rename the TRIM modded file named "8086-2822_v12701936_mod-for-TRIM-in-RAID0.bin" to "SataOrom.bin".
  2. Open the folder OROM\IRST\12_7 of the extracted UBU tool and delete the file named "SataOrom.bin".
  3. Copy the TRIM modded Intel RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936 named "SataOrom.bin" (see point 1) into the UBU folder OROM\IRST\12_7.
  4. Start the UBU tool and let it update your Intel RAID ROM to v12.7.0.1936.

After having flashed the modded BIOS you will get TRIM working within your RAID0 array.

I followed the steps you outlined and TRIMCHECK is now telling me TRIM is Enabled!

Thanks for all your assistance! I’m still confused as to how I messed up the UBU tool though. Both original BIOS and the Mod file were in the root directory for UBU and I just followed the onscreen directions

One other side note: All of my fonts are now slightly different. I might test rolling the BIOS back, now that I have a modded one which works, and see if it’s related or just my tired eyes :slight_smile:

Congratulation! I am glad, that you succeeded at least.

The UBU tool doesn’t care about OROM/EFI files, which are in the root directory.

Please give us your feedback regarding this point.
Maybe clearing CMOS may help to solve this problem.

Hi Logun

I have the non-Pro P8Z68-V.
What BIOS did you have before modding 3603?
The reason your fonts have changed is simple - Asus changed them some time ago! It confused me at the time too; I suspect there may have been some issues with particular displays, though I’m guessing as the change wasn’t documented.

Hope that helps!

I’ve been on BIOS 3603 for some time before Modding it.

I’ll try to find some time tonight to Flash back to non-Modded version and see if there is a difference or if it was just me. (my eyes are not the greatest)

@Logun

You misunderstand; the Boot Font was changed in an earlier BIOS release (there have been 7 official releases), I think it was 3203 (the first of the ‘3’ branch which had major changes and required a double-restart) but that was two years ago. It has never changed back to the original; that’s why I asked about your previous version.

As our boards only differ in features, the respective BIOS releases are very similar and were released almost simultaneously.

Therefore, I’m certain there would be no change on restoring the unmodded 3603 BIOS.

Regards

Ahhh ok , Thanks!

Is it possible to get here the mod 3603,I can’ find it?
Where can I download this??

Best Wishes
Willy

@ dieholzblaeser:

Hello Willy,
welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

We generally do not offer already modded BIOSes, because we want, that the users learn to do it themselves.
Nevertheless you may ask the user Logun for a link to his modded BIOS.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)