VIA VL80x USB 3 PCI-E Firmware Utility (Code 10 error)

this is what I have at present. Sorry, i dont understand 3.change the pcie at last ??

@xlr8r move the card at another pcie slot and retry.

Hi,

it doesnā€™t make a sense to move card to other slot as it is already detected by flash tool. It just didnā€™t recognize the SPI flash chip. As I look at the INI file, the EON EN25F10 flash is already present:

[EN25F10]
FlashID=1C3111
ReadID=9F
WriteEnable=06
WriteStatus=01
ChipErase=60
ReadData=03
ReadStatus=05
PageProgram=02
ClockRate=32
PageSize=100

So I have a suspection that you have fake (remarked) flash chip that is not really EON but some chinese alternative. Unfortunatelly the flash tool doesnā€™t print the flash JEDEC ID (e.g. 1C3111). I had to desolder the chip and use my SPIPGM to read correct flash ID
http://rayer.g6.cz/programm/programe.htm#SPIPGM
I was alble to flash newer FW but it was not cause of my error code 10. This was caused by PAE patch that I use in my WinXP. Without it the VIA driver worked normally.

Hi RaYer

thanks for getting back to me on this, it really has my head wrecked. I believe you are correct in what you are saying, that the chip must be a clone/fake if 1C3111 doesnā€™t work.

it is strange though that the flash tool does let me erase it, but not write new code back on ā€¦ ?

I looked up the Datasheet, here (EON F10-100GCP) and info seems ok for the flashtool, but chip just not detected.

Is there any way i can flash this chip without knowing the correct(fake) FlashID ? (and without removing it from the PCB), thanks

(its very hard to read the print on the chip below, but I think it does say EON F10-100GCP ? (i dont know what the numbers below that mean)

@RayeR it does make sense when a pin does not make a good contact with motherboard. I have seen it when the flash detect the card and i couldnā€™t flash it. That is the reason that i ask to change slot.

thanks for info

tried 3 other slots, same result unfortunately

I have now given up after a week of tryingā€¦beaten by a cheap Chinese clone chipā€¦bah!

chucked card in bin and bought new one on Amazon.

Hi, generally near all SPI flash has the compatible read and chip erase commands so it should always work. But unfortunatelly there are differences in write commands - this was never standardized.
If you replace your flash chip by real EON or other supported chip in the list it should work then.

>boombastik
interesting, I never had a bad contact in edge connector. But when it happen your system would get many PCIE errors that would cause Windows go crazy or Linux throwing a DMESG errors. Once I tested PCIE to PCI bridge, that used USB 3.0 cable connection between two parts and it had unreliable connection an my WinXP hanged instantly when I touched the connector while running :slight_smile: Piece of chinese crapā€¦

thanks

i might just for fun just do thatā€¦

can you recommend a VERY cheap programmer (perhaps from ebay) that would suffice ?

cheers

well im back up and running with the card. in the end just a two minute fixā€¦

Cost me Ā£12.99 (1 x Amazon programmer)

i know thats more than a card would cost, but at least now i have a programmer to play with lolā€¦

thanks to all who helped.

OK, good job. So what is the flash ID readed by programmer?

I did some test of various firmwares and found that latest version for Rpi is probably not compatible with this card, simply it doesnā€™t work with USB 3.0 devices, so I had to flash back older version and test how it works:
0138A1 USB 3.0 devices are not detected, only USB 2.0 / 1.x
0137AB USB 3.0 devices are working in HighSpeed mode only
013705 USB 3.0 devices are working in SuperSpeed mode as expected so I stay with this FW.
I also checked speed under WinXP+backported driver and Win7-x64 with VIA driver and it was the same but I checked only with slow 4200RPM SATA disk with 42,5MB/s max speed so it does tell anything, Iā€™ll test later on some faster diskā€¦

http://rayer.g6.cz/hardware/gap67ds3.htm#USB3_SATA

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I want to leave this here for anybody who has a VL805 with AT25F1024 flash. I spent way too much time trying to update this $5 USB card.

Add the following to SpiFlash.ini:

[FlashType]
ā€¦
21=AT25F1024

[AT25F1024]
FlashID = 202011
ReadID=15
WriteEnable=06
WriteStatus=01
ChipErase=62
ReadData=03
ReadStatus=05
PageProgram=02
ClockRate=32
PageSize=80

-----
Flashing results:

Targeted VID = 1106
Targeted PID = 3483

ISP file size: 24806(DW)
FW file = 0138a1.bin
VL805/VL806 is found.
Bus=b, Dev=0, Func=0, Chip Verision=B1

Match gFlashType No. = 21, FlashType = AT25F1024
spi erase
pageSizeDW = 64
wait while programmingā€¦
Update ISP Success.

@TheMaskedMan Know you pleas share some knowledge how you discovered all these magic numbers etc?

The AT25F1024 has a wrong id.
This is the right:

[FlashType]
ā€¦
21=AT25F1024

[AT25F1024]
FlashID=1F60
ReadID=15
WriteEnable=06
WriteStatus=01
ChipErase=62
ReadData=03
ReadStatus=05
PageProgram=02
ClockRate=32
PageSize=80

@ruthan for the flash id take a look here:
-http://www.cnc-lab.com/idcodes.txt

I have a vl805 card with the chip 25p10vg and need to flash it.
Anyone know the flash id??

Maybe useful: mXytxry.pdf (datasheetcatalog.com)

Here i upload the last firmware tool for the vl805 usb pcie.
It support 26 chips.
The only chip that i couldnā€™t fix is the st 25p10vg because i donā€™t know the flash id.
Here is the tool:
VL805&VL806 FW Update Tool FW013705.rar (424.0 KB)

Please take a look in SpiFlash.ini file if your chip supported, otherwise there is an opportunity where the tool delete the firmware in your card and cant reprogram it.

Hello! I recently bought extension card with chip VL805-806 2111 A194325500. So here the firmware dump ver. 013707, which I didnā€™t find on the internet. if someone was looking for it, then Iā€™m happy to help!

1 Like

FW013707.zip (39.6 KB)
I re-uploaded it here for backup reasons.

The flash tool donā€™t work any more in windows 10 and 11. The certification from the tool is old. I cant find a newer flash tool.

1 Like