[W8.1] Problem with Fast Startup function on SSD RAID0 and Intel RST drivers v11.2.0.1006

Hi,
To start with, thanks for this forum :slight_smile: It is full of extremely useful knowledge (guides, tips etc.) for modding and optimizing PCs. I’m impressed with all that work.

My configuration:
- MB: Gigabyte EP45-DS3R with ICH10R
- CPU: Core2Duo E6600
- SSD: 3x Samsung 830 128GB with newest official firmware
- Intel RAID ROM: v11.2.0.1527 (“Universally TRIM modified” version from your >thread<
- Intel RAID drivers: 64bit Intel RST AHCI/RAID Driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL from this >thread<
- stripe size: 64KB

Additional info: Using guides from the forum I have made modded BIOS for my motherboard with TRIM modified RAID ROM v11.2 to support TRIM function for my SSD array and match drivers that I wanted to use it with (RST RAID drivers v11.2). This drivers looks to have the best performance for my quite old configuration. Unfortunately this Fast Startup is causing me trouble.

As I mentioned in title I have problem with Fast Startup feature (hybrid boot or hybrid Shutdown) in Windows 8.1 Pro x64 clean installed on RAID0 array of 3xSSD Samsung 830. The problem means slow booting time after shutting down PC with this function turned ON and this booting is much slower than without Fast Startup and slower than after restarting system (so this means slower than a cold start). By “booting” I mean this part after BIOS when blue logo of Windows appears on the screen. With function ON this white dots make a rotation several times (about 6-8) and with cold start it is only about 2 rotations.

I noticed that with default Win 8.1 raid drivers (I think it is v12.0.1.1019) or with RST(e) drivers v11.7.4.1001 WHQL the function works properly. In that case “properly” means that with Fast Startup booting is almost unnoticeable and there is desktop almost immediately. At the same time cold start (by restarting system or with Fast Startup OFF) is as fast as with v11.2 drivers. So there is no problem with cold start regardless of the used drivers but only with hybrid boot.
The conclusion is that there is some problem with Fast Startup feature and drivers v11.2 and I don’t know if it is a bug in drivers or in system or maybe I have to change some options in the system.

What I have tried so far:
- I installed clean version of OS several times - MSDN version, version downloaded by Media Creation Tool, from pendrive, from DVD etc.
- I tried default install of Win 8.1 with default raid driver and then replacing driver in system with v11.2 and also tried loading v11.2 drivers during OS installation.
- I made modified installation of Win 8.1 with integrated v11.2 driver and removed built-in driver (iaStorAV) to exclude potential mixing of drivers.
- I deleted my RAID0 array and recreated it.
- Tried turning off Fast Startup -> restart -> turn on Fast Startup -> restart.
- No matter if it is newly installed OS or after all updates from Windows Update.
- Tried enabled and disabled ‘Write caching on the device’ and also 'Turn off the write-cache buffer flushing’

I would just like to have RST driver v11.2.0.1006 on best matching RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527 and properly functioning Fast Startup feature to boost my PC’s booting time.
Any ideas what could be the cause of my problems? Suggestions on what to do are welcome.

@ficias :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your detailed report!

Please remember the title of a famous Rolling Stones song: "You can’t always get what you want…!"
To be honest: I don’t know, whether all your wishes can be realized at all, and if yes, how this can be done.
Unfortunately I am not even able to do such tests myself, because my currently used Z170 chipset system doesn’t allow me to use the by far best Intel RAID driver/OROM combination v11.2.0.1006/v11.2.0.1527.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Old post but thought i would leave my 2 cents this has been a problem ever since MS decided to force enable it on every major update i have Windows 10 pro x64 and MS still enables that c… on every new build making my SSD’s look like the turtle and hare race but my SSD’s are the Turtles, but i hope you have luck with all the tinkering i don’t think you will succeed but its nice to have a goal in life :smiley:

@kimkl :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Frum and thanks for your contribution.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)