[WARNING] Intel Skylake/Kaby Lake processors: Broken HT on Laptops & PC [Fix is here]

This applies on all ROG Laptops & Non ROG Laptops (Means Normal Laptops) too.. including PC too. (THIS FIX IS ONLY FOR SPECIFIC SKYLAKE CPU) with broken Hyper-threading due to a bug on Microcode CPU.

Hello everyone... My name is THEBOSS619 aka T.B.619 or Ehab H. from Egypt.... anyway if you are not advanced or intermediate PC user... please save your self from trouble and forget it.

I would like to help for those who are using any kind of Microsoft Windows OS [example:- Win7,8,8.1,10] as this kind of microcode bug is not affecting linux only but to other OS as well so.... I would like to give a solution to skylake cpu's (ONLY FOR SPECIFIC SKYLAKE CPU) on 8 Steps.. ;) ok lets start.

First of all...

[1-]
Check on Regedit [Registry Editor] Navigate to this --> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0] and look on [Identifier] key if it is [Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3] or [Intel64 Family 6 Model 78 Stepping 3].. if you got one of those... you are good to continue to the next step... if not--> [Forget it!!! wait for BIOS Update from your vendor or OEM]

[2-]
Download this RWEverything utility from---> Click Here

[3-]
Install it and open the program

[4-]
Click on the icon that is called [MSR] or [CPU MSR Registers]

[5-]
Check on the [CPU ID] first section if you have one of those codes which is---> [0x406E3] or [0x506E3]... if you got one of those codes then you are good to continue. if not ---> [Forget it!!! wait for your BIOS Update from your vendor or OEM]

[6-]
Go to this link ---> Click Here to get an idea or learn how to upgrade your CPU Microcode to the lastest version. It is detailed enough there. :)

[7-]
After you have readed from the link that I gave it to you above you are now have an idea or know how to update your CPU Microcode to the latest version through Windows so... download this https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloa...ocode-Data-File it's lastest Microcode for your CPU and this too https://web.archive.org/web/201607261415...-latest.tar.bz2 use those files to update your microcode CPU.

[8-]
Done (^.^) Enjoy! :).

* I got my CPU Skylake 6700HQ on ASUS ROG GL552VX Laptop with this code 0x506E3 and Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3 and I successfully updated my CPU Microcode to the lastest version and it works like a charm! also this update fixes many cpu bugs including CPU flaws (especially ones dealing with sleep and hibernation) and as it fixes other processor issues as well.

Anyway... thumps up this post or make it stick on the top of the list so that everyone benefit from it :)

This post is made purely by me by my own effort [with the help from notebookreview.com link that I provided above].
The idea for this solution came to my mind after reading this ... Click Here

I also posted this solution earilier on reddit Here

Example on my laptop ASUS ROG GL522VX Skylake 6700HQ...Click Here

EDIT by Fernando: Link codes corrected (no quotation marks!)

People using UBU (which are quite common in this forum :wink: ) to update UEFI with the newest microcode updates for Skylake are already protected from SKL150, and don’t have to fear anything.

Actually, this is likely true for Kaby Lake too, since UBU has 0x906E9 and 0x806e9 microcode updates that are dated new enough to have the KBL095 fix. This is not confirmed, because nobody has posted which microcode revisions are present in the latest BIOS updates for the Intel NUCs (updated like three or four days ago with the Kaby Lake fix)… but confirmation should happen sometime soon.

The modding community has had those microcode updates for 0x906E9 and 0x806E9 since May 22nd and June 9th respectively.

Yeah, but is microcode 0x5e for Kaby Lake the one in the most up-to-date BIOS of the Skylake Intel NUCs?

So far, it is pure speculative that revision 0x5e could fix the KBL095 (hyper-threading) bug in kaby lake, because that speculation is only based on the microcode date being close to the Skylake revision 0xba microcode.

If someone confirms which revision of the microcode is in the latest Intel Kaby Lake NUC BIOS, that would tie that revision with the Intel Changelog for the Intel NUC BIOS update, which explicitly mentions "update microcode to fix hyper-threading bug"…

The latest Kabylake microcode revision is 0x62 (at least for platform C0).
NUC BIOS version 0047 mentions the fixed Hyper-Threading issue and uses revision 0x5E, you can see this on the screenshot from plutomaniac.

I see. I had not made the connection between the file names and where those dumps came from!

Thanks. And Thanks to Plutomaniac for the confirmation as well!

Everything about this bug you can read here [WARNING] Intel Skylake/Kaby Lake processors: broken hyper-threading and 0007452: Segfaults or wrong code execution on Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake CPUs with hyperthreading enabled

@Horus :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for the links!

As far as I can see, both articles are primarily designed for Linux/Debian users and not for Windows ones.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

As far as I can see, both articles are primarily designed for Linux/Debian users and not for Windows ones.

Because Linux community first finds this bug

Errata lists for Skylake and Kaby Lake:
https://www3.intel.com/content/dam/www/p…spec-update.pdf
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/pu…spec-update.pdf

It’s erratum number SKL150 and KBL095 respectively.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted post and blank lines removed (to save space)

@plutomaniac its possible you can share the file BN0047_17088572.bin

The BIOS if from Intel’s website, linked by Wootever above.

@plutomaniac i try to open it whit mc extractor, but say

-------[ MC Extractor v1.6.0 ]-------
Database r32

File: BN0047.bio

File does not contain CPU microcodes

Press enter to exit

Within GUID which starts with 17088572

Intel Linux microcode pack dated 2017-07-07 is out. IT INCLUDES THE KABI LAKE FIXES.

HERE: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloa…ocode-Data-File