What temperatures are your M.2 drives reading??

Hi,

I was just curious what temperatures are you guys getting on your M.2 NVME SSD drives? For example HWInfo is reporting my Samsung SM961 has two temperature readings one at 31 degrees and the other at 58 degrees right now. The 58 degree temp to me seems hot. Most likely because the M.2 is installed under the 1080 GTX video card which is probably exhausting heat onto the the storage device. It makes me wonder if the Asus motherboard engineers had any common sense in where to place the M.2 drive slot. I mean is even 58 degrees safe for an M.2?

Thanks

Since the M.2 Card is under a rather large heat producing gpu the easiest solution I found was to place a few 40mm fans as close as possible to the circuitry in the hopes of improving ventilation.
I think at best I have reduced temps by 5 degrees on the Samsung sm961:

Photo Apr 04, 11 48 26 PM.jpg

@davidm71
About temperature Sensor 2 on 960PRO and 960EVO devices I have benchmarked (stress test) them using Samsung Magician.
It does seem the max values are quite normal even after the stress test done.
The temperature Senso 1 are also OK.

960EVO_PRO_Temperatures_benchs_05avril18.PNG

@davidm71
here’s a screenshot of HWINFO64 showing temps of my ASUS Maximus X Hero mobo with Samsung 960 Pro M.2 PCIe connected SSD just with 2 web browsers open in the background. Does this help?

hwinfo64-ssd-tmp.jpg

My 950 Pro is currently sitting at 37°C, although it regularly gets up to the high fifties when working hard.

Everyone thank you for the responses. It would seem as if there are observable idle and load high temps at around 35-45 and 55-60 degrees respectively. Wonder if those temps in the 60s are due to the GPU. I tried using Afterburner to rev up my gpu fans but did not notice any change in temperature. The three fans I placed seemed to have reduced my idle temps though not when the M.2 was underload. In anycase thanks.

Btw: @chinobino Ethaniel was looking for a copy of the 950 Pro Option Rom if you could help him out. Thanks.

I thought I would include the temps of my new SSD Samsung 970 Pro M.2 and compare them with my previous 960 Pro M.2 in the same system from my post above. The following are temps which are taken under the same conditions as the previous post [just 2 browsers opened]:

ASUS.M!10XH.970.PRO.TEMP-IDLE.jpg

Following is during benchmarking with CrystamDiskMatk:

970.PRO.TEMP.LOADED.jpg

Note that I have a 10 K ohm thermister taped to the M.2 SSD heatsink the reading of which is shown as T_Sensor_1, which is plugged into the T_Sensor_1 header of my Maximus X Hero mobo. It’s interesting how it is reading a good 10C less than the on chip temp sensor reading. Maybe the grayish-blue blue-tack-like heatsink compound that comes pre-applied to bottom of the M.2 SSD heatsink on this mobo, isn’t efficient as it could be… I’m thinking of using something of better quality to compare.

UPDATE: I hope these following figures are of some interest. These are temperatures of an NVMe SSD in my daughter’s Microsoft Surface Book 2. It’s as special SSD model from Samsung “SAMSUNG MZFLW1T0HMLH-000MU 1024.2 GB”. I used an unconventional method to obtain the highest temps, by refreshing crystaldiskinfo tool while benchmarking with crystaldiskmark while writing and then reading benchmarks. Included is a completed benchmark results from crystaldiskmark, while the 2 other temps are taken when I found the highest temp of the SSD, hence these 2 results are not far into the benchmaking:

all.scrrenshots.jpg

Reading the post , i’m are not suprise with temp, i read in several posts, some nvme are side 87° at 102°, but we have several setups.

With ambient at 22° etc etc…an desktop at air and watercooled, but my nvme was hot hot too, i’m inserted he in nvme adapter ,and go monitor how works now.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

I have a 970 Evo Plus 1 TB (It is 96 layers). In the HWINfo there are two temperatures. The first is the memory temperature ante the second is the controller temperature. If the controller reaches 70 degrees you will have “Throttling” (in my ssd model). I have my ssd in a pcie adapter in the cpu pcie lines (Aqua Computer kryoM.2 EVO) because my mobo is a Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1. Now the room temperature is between 27 and 30 degrees in the room, and after testing with Crystaldiskmark and Atto, the maximum temperature reached by the controller is 53 degrees and 48 degrees the memory.

https://fotos.subefotos.com/ec219008eea9…2f19d6790eo.jpg

P.D.:My sequential speeds are somewhat slow. About 240 mb / s in both writing and reading, and I don’t know why. I have the latest firmware and the latest samsung drivers. I have tried more pcie adapters, but the result is identical (I made a cloning of the S.O.).
My system is an Asus z97 sabertooth Mark 1 + i7-4790k + 32 gb ram g.skill 2400 ddr3.
The ssd is in the second slot pcie x16 (obviously it works at x4 because the ssd is 3.0 x4), the graphics card being in the first.
Any ideas?

Just as a note, my samsung 970 pro is directly under my gtx 1080 in my evga x99 classified (lga 2011) & normal temp is ~46 C . If I overclock my GPU with the precision app & set the fans to full blast the temp drops to 34 C on the nvme drive.
Both are with 10+ browser windows open & no real load on GPU.

The temps on a 970 Evo Plus in a Meshify C case with lots of good Noctua fans are pretty hardcore during tests. Anvil benchmark brought the controller to 75C. The NAND itself stays much cooler. After Crystal Disk Mark with 5 passes, controller got to 89C and throttling occurred compared with just one pass. I guess I’ll probably have to get a heatsink? I just want to install some apps on the SSD and my OS (when 1909 launches I’ll do a clean install).

Ordered a Silverstone heatsink. I can’t stand watching 90C on the controller for just a benchmark and have a new SSD throttling. They should come with a cooler on them at these prices IMO, or at least it should be specified in the guide/specs that a cooler is required.

Installed the TP02-M2 heatsink from Silverstone on my 970 Evo Plus today and the results are quite dramatic. In the image you can see the drive after Crystal Disk Mark, ASSSD and Anvil. The controller went from 89 max to a 61 max so there’s no more throttling, I assume. In idle the controller temps decreased 9C, from 47 to 38. What I like is that the NAND is still relatively hot (as it should), and temps decreased only 13C for max and 3C for idle. And that’s without me trimming the thermal pad so it only covers the controller. Temps are also far better spread now, with controller and NAND at pretty much the same values instead of having a very hot controller.

Definitely recommended to use a heatsink on these hot SSDs. Oh, and without throttling, the Anvil score raised from 14521 to 16788, based on improved writes.

Is the TP02-M2 too large too fit between a GPU and the motherboard? It looks quite tall.

There’s a good chance it won’t fit under a GPU, but who knows. I took two pictures, they aren’t very good, it’s night and the phone camera is not great either. For me the decision was easy with the M2 slot above the card. If it was below it, I would have probably bought a slimmer heatsink. I’ve seen one from Gelid that performs almost as good as the Silverstone and is much smaller.

der8auer made some interesting testing on temps with 2 Gen4 drives and the 960 Evo. I feel even better now for purchasing a heatsink. One of his drives fully stopped working (under heavy CDM stress) and he had to reboot. The Evo got to 101C, which is not that surprising, I got mine to 89C in just the default 5 loops. His 960 Evo throttled heavily to about 10% of its performance, at which point you’re better served with a SATA drive if you intend some heavier workloads.

Even then, I think this is still not the worst case scenario. That would be if you work with the GPU at the same time, or try to game while copying files etc. With the heatsink on, and my 1070ti drawing 180W (which is not that much compared to the larger GPUs like the Ti cards drawing 250-300W), the SSD heats with 15-17C over the idle without any workload on it, which in my case it’s around 53-55C, for mid-summer hot days add another 5C easily. Most “aftermarket/partner” GPU models are the type that spit all the heat inside the computer case, so with a classic blower design you might have different results.

Definitely add a proper heatsink IMO.

Here’s the video: