Which are the "best" Intel AHCI/RAID drivers?

If you set a “Restore Point” before you are going to install the drivers, it will be safe, because you are able to restore the previous system, if you should run into troubles.

I have no idea. Since I don’t have an X99 or X299 chipset system, I cannot do a similar test.

@Fernando ,
I don’t use a X299 machine but a x99 machine.
Do you think v15.9.3.1026 driver is designed for x299 and not for X99 ?
However, on the forum you refer to X99, is it correct ?

850PROS_RAID0_2TB_v15.9.3.1026_driver_X99.PNG

I didn’t remember that - my bad!

Look for the DeviceID of your on-board Intel SATA Controller.
Intel SATA AHCI Controllers with the DeviceID DEV_9D03 are supported by all Intel RST(e) drivers, which belong to the v14, v15 or v16 platform, whereas those with the DeviceID DEV_8D02 are natively only supported by the Intel RST(e) drivers v13.1.0.1058 and all Intel RST(e) drivers, which belong to the v14 platform.

@Fernando ,
Device ID is DEV_2822, so does modded v15.9.3.1026 version compatible for X99 and X299 or only for X299 ?

850PROS_RAID0_2TB_v15.9.3.1026_DeviceID_X99.PNG

Only systems with an “Intel(R) 6th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA Controller” are natively supported by the Intel RST(e) drivers of the v15 platform.
The DeviceID DEV_2822 is the universal external DeviceID of all Intel SATA RAID Controllers from ICH8R up, but this does not mean, that all these Intel SATA RAID Controllers with different internal DeviceIDs are supported.

@Fernando ,

Thanks for your help.

I do use an old CPU 5th Gen Intel Core i7-5930K, so you confirm only a "v14" branch family machine is supported. (however, i have installed and tested v15 branch as well)

I have tried to get somewhere the internal DEVs of my SabertoothX99 motherboard.
How do you detect/scan the INTERNAL DEVs ?

SIV64 tool does display:

850PROS_RAID0_2TB_v14.8.18.1066_Firmw_EXM04B6Q_DEV_SIV64_09avril18.PNG

W10 does display:

850PROS_RAID0_2TB_v14.8.18.1066_Firmw_EXM04B6Q_DEV_W10_09avril18.PNG

As you can see within >this< list, the internal, but only valid DeviceID of your “C610/X99 series chipset SATA Controller [RAID mode]” is either DEV_8D04 or DEV_8D06.
For further informations please have a look into >this< outstanding thread started at AnandTech Forum by Dufus (= our Forum member CPL0).
Most interesting contributions written by Dufus: posts #20 and #48.

There is a tool named SATAID, which has been compiled by Dufus himself and presented >here<. Unfortunately the link has been expired, but I have still stored the tool on my MEGA account. You can download the freshly archived and uploaded package from >here<. Due to the age of the tool (latest update done at 11/26/2012), I am not sure, whether your Intel X99 SATA RAID Controller will be detected.

@Fernando ,
Thanks for all the great informations.
SATAID tool does work fine on SabertoothX99:

SATA_ID_09avril18.PNG

I do observe using v15 branch instead of official V14 branch supporting X99 with Core i7-5930K I get 10% better performance

This is a wellknown fact, that newer drivers, which natively do not support certain old devices (here: Intel SATA Controllers), may run better than the old drivers, which were designed by the hardware maufacturer for the related device.
Note: The system’s performance is only 1 criterion for the quality of a driver, the much more important one is the system’s stability.

@ase-le :
@Safado2 :
@100PIER :
JFYI - I have moved your recent requests and my replies into this better matching thread and hope, that this is ok for you.

ok for me

Hello Fernando!

I’ve been following your threads here for a while and have always been using the Classic IRST Drivers.
Recently my friend wanted to build a new PC, so we got him an 8700K (8th Gen / Intel 300-Series / Z370). He only uses AHCI/Default settings (He doesn’t use RAID). Should he stick with the built-in Windows 10 SATA drivers? If not, which drivers would you recommend?

Thanks for all your hard work >~<

EDIT: What Intel ME drivers would you recommend as well? I normally install them just in-case since I will be overclocking - otherwise I don’t normally install them…

@Newblet :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
If I would have an Intel 300-Series Chipset system, I would compare the Win10 in-box AHCI driver with the latest Intel RST Drivers and then stick with the better one.
Regarding the “best” Intel MEI driver you should better look into the topic related thread.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Intel just released 16.0.2.1086

Yes, these are the drivers, which I recommend to use with an Intel 300-Series Chipset system (as alternative to the MS in-box AHCI driver.
By the way: This Forum offers these currently latest Intel RST Drivers already since 22. March ( look >here<).

The v16 is only for 300 Chipset? Do you recomment not use with older Chipset? I have a Asus z170 Pro Gaming with 100 Chipset.

@Scoty :
The original Intel RST platform v16 AHCI/RAID drivers do support all Intel Chipsets from 100-Series up, but seem to be specificly optimized for Intel 300-Series Chipset systems.
According to my own benchmark comparison tests (look >here<) the v16 platform AHCI/RAID drivers were not the best choice for my Z170 Chipset system, but I haven’t yet tested the latest Intel RST AHCI driver v16.0.2.1086.
Conclusion: Find it out youself!

Have you test intel_rst_15.9.3.1026 too, its also good like v15.44.0.1006 mod+signed? Which one use you for now on your z170 system? On Download Site i dont see this v15.44.0.1006 mod+signed.

Please look into the start post of my “Benchmark comparison test” thread. There you find all drivers, which have been recently tested and compared by me.

Since my system drive uses an NVMe Controller, the Intel SATA AHCI driver version doesn’t matter.

Which “Download Site” do you mean?

For my Lenovo Ideapad Y510P NOTEBOOK which has Intel HM86 chipset motherboard,
I need moded and signed Intel RST(e) driver v13.2.4.1000 driver and RST software
which is recommended by Fernando for Intel 8 and 9 series chipsets in
Performance of the Intel RST/RSTe AHCI/RAID Drivers .
But I couldn’t find any link for download for it in the forum.
Should I use v13.1.0.1058 or v13.2.8.1002 which are provided in the forum; or is there a place
where I can download 13.2.4.1000.
Thanks for any suggestions and helps.