Which are the "best" Intel AHCI/RAID drivers?

@gQx
The choice of the “best” AHCI driver depends
a) on the HardwareIDs of the related AHCI Controller (shown within the Device Manager) and
b) on the in-use OS.
By the way - I have moved your post into this better matching thread.

1 Like

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A353&SUBSYS_10451D05&REV_10
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A353&SUBSYS_10451D05
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A353&CC_010601
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A353&CC_0106

using windows 11

@gQx
For your system I recommend either to stick to the generic Win11 in-box MS AHCI driver (it is by far the newest) or - if you want to use an Intel AHCI driver - to look into the table at the bottom of the start post.

2 Likes

I’ve been using the 13.2.8.1002 mod for over 10 months on my 8-series B85 motherboard WIN-10 and WIN-7, no issues at all. just recently moved to windows 11. the only driver that’s showing in device manager is MS-ahci driver (10.0.22000.258)-2006. i need some recommendations on which AHCI driver to install?

The same…the hw device is the same, there is no recent Intel drivers to your HW device ID on new OS, so stay with the in box MS driver or the old Intel.

EDIT: What part you dont understood? There were no more recent INTEL drivers released for WIN11 for 8 Series chipset motherboards.

1 Like

there’s no intel ahci drivers for windows 11 on our motherboard yet?
the ms ahci drivers for windows 11 are quite decent actually :o

@Fernando
i have MSI H310M gaming plus and core i3 8100 and one sata SSD + one WD blue HDD.
HardwareIDs:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A352&SUBSYS_7B281462&REV_10
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A352&SUBSYS_7B281462
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A352&CC_010601
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A352&CC_0106

1.do you recommend intel sata AHCI driver over default MS driver? im a gamer and latency is important for me, so how can test drivers latency? can Latencymon show me difference?

2.also you said that

Latest Intel RST drivers v17.9.x.xxxx WHQL
Recommended for modern Intel Chipset systems from 300…

but i cant find any 17.9 versions in download page (only 17.11 and 17.7).

3.i installed intel 17.11.1.1001 driver through SDIO, also i noticed a service
created after reboot:

Service name: RstMwService 
Display name: Intel(R) Storage Middleware Service
Description: RPC endpoint service which allows communication between driver and Windows Store Application

can i disable this service?

@amymor
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

I only recommend it for users, who are not satisfied with the performance/stabilty of the generic MS AHCI driver.
By the way: The Win10/11 in-box AHCI driver is very good and brandnew (despite its shown wrong date).

The latest and best v17 platform Intel RST drivers are v17.11.1.1001 WHQL.
I forgot to replace “17.9” by “17.11” within the start post (it is fixed now).

You may be able to disable/delete the service, but I don’t recommend to do it.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

1 Like

hi, I am currently on an Asus RIVE x79 motherboard, I am trying to install windows 10 and i remember having to f6 my RAID drivers- but cant seem to find the appropriate flpy64zip that intel would always have. any help is appreciated.

@rus3ryous
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
You don’t need to load any F6 driver at the beginning of the Win10/11 installation, because both Operating Systems have a compatible Intel RAID driver in-the-box. Once the OS is up and running, you can try to replace it by a better Intel RAID driver version according to the start post of this thread (depending on the HardwareIDs of your on-board Intel RAID Controller).
Good luck and enjoy the Forum!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

i ran into a platform not supported error when i tried installing the intelRST drivers, so i figured id just start from the beginning. thanks for replying :slight_smile:

Hello, @Fernando and all members of this forum!

For the 14th “generation” of AHCI/RAID drivers I found a “14.10.0.1016” version on “Station-Drivers”. Someone please explain to me why the “14.8.18.1066” version is considered the latest if that version (“14.10.0.1016”) has a greater number.

The 14th generation has “0”, “5”, “6”, “7”, “8” and “10” branches or something. So I think it’s reasonable enough to assume that the “10” branch is superior to the “8”.

Revision: 09/06/2017,14.8.18.1066

Revision: 02/03/2016,14.10.0.1016

Nothing like test both and seeing what fits you best, regarding the performance of your system.

@MeatWar, thanks for the answer!

Yeah, I mean not latest by date, but superior. Yes, the latest version of “14.8” branch’s drivers is newer than that of “14.10”. But “14.10” is superior to “14.8”. Since I don’t know how to test the performance of these drivers (and, honestly, I don’t want to dive into it), I decided to simply take the latest version of the “generation” of drivers that is designed for systems including mine (“Z97”). So now I have the “14.8.18.1066” version which was made later, and the “14.10.0.1016” which is superior by number.

Here are my answers:

1. As I have already written very often, the newest Intel storage drivers are not automaticly the best ones. This is especially true for Intel systems with different chipsets, Windows OS versions and disk drive models. Conclusion: Only the user himself can find out the best Intel RST/RSTe driver version for his specific system.
  2. The Intel RST drivers v14.8.18.1066 and v14.10.0.1016 belong to different development branches (14.8 and 14.10). When the Intel development staff starts a new development branch within a certain RST platform (here: v14), it is done from scratch with new/previously unknown bugs and not as an update/optimization of a driver, which belongs to any other development branch. Since the Company Intel sometimes works simultaneously on different development branches, it is possible, that the finally released drivers of a lower development branch are newer dated than the latest of the development branch with a higher number.
  3. Within a certain development branch (e.g. 14.8 or 14.10) usually the drivers with the highest final numbers are the currently best ones. Otherwise Intel would have continued their work on the related development branch.
1 Like

Thank you very much, @Fernando!

Looks like Windows 11 can’t be installed on a device while IaStorE.sys (RSTe) is present.

@Squall_Leonhart
Thanks for the info and greetings to Down Under!
What should affected users do, who want to use the “RSTe AHCI RAID Controller Miniport”?

I’m not sure tbh, I’ve hit some roadblocks getting the machine to complete the OOBE phase of the install, simply using the StorAHCI got it into the First Boot phase though.

The iaStorE and A files from RSTe 5/6 and 4 respectively are definitely not compatible with First Boot though, there’s users across 4th gen up to 7th gen to testify to the BSOD occurring.

I’m not very surprised, even the AC Nvme drivers have bsods under 11 till recently.

There is no way to use RSTe’s iastorA or iastorE without encoutering the Bsod, even after having succeeded in the installation,

I just had to do a transplant of PCI reg keys to the AHCI Ven_Dev ID in the registry because Windows 11 also doesn’t seem to create a recovery controlset when changing drivers too o.O

1 Like