Which are the "best" Intel AHCI/RAID drivers?

Hi Fernando!

Ok, re-install went well so far. I updated the driver to the Intel RSTe AHCI & RAID Drivers v12_9_4_1000 WHQL (64bit) as you recommended, but I do not see the RST icon in the system tray. Is there anything more I need? Also, interestingly, I now only see the 1 Intel controller - before I updated the driver, I also saw all of the ATA entries there (though I have not "lost" any of my drives).

You obviously have installed just the Intel RST(e) drivers and not the associated software. This was a good decision, because the IRST software is not needed at all as long as you are running your drives in AHC mode.
The IRST icon is only shown within the system tray, when the IRST Services are running in the background.

No!

This is a good sign as well, because now all your HDDs/SSDs are running in AHCI mode and not in IDE mode anymore. The previously listed IDE channels belonged to the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers".

GREAT to hear! I wasn’t sure if the ASMedia SATA ports would also be as effectively controlled by the Intel driver - I had installed the ASMedia drivers before installing the Intel (and those gave me the ATA entries, interestingly enough).

The Intel RST or RST(e) driver has no effect on the ASMedia SATA IDE Controller.

The Intel RST or RST(e) driver has no effect on the ASMedia SATA IDE Controller.

Ok, so I’m confused again :frowning: If the ports in question are ASMedia SATA ports, does that mean that ASMedia does not provide any RAID (soft or otherwise) for those ports, and they are therefore, by nature, IDE-mode ports? That wasn’t my understanding from Asus’ documentation (but I could certainly have misinterpreted them).

Yes, unless you have missed the BIOS option to set the ASMedia Controller to any other mode than IDE.

For the Sabertooth Z77, there IS no BIOS option for the ASMedia ports at all, only the Intel.

Maybe this option is avaible in advanced mode

Ghostearth

Hmmmm, I must admit to not having seen that screen before. i will do a closer inspection on the next reboot! :slight_smile:

===============

Ok, I don’t have that exact page/options, but I do have the ASMedia SATA options on the same page - they ARE enabled (and that setting never changed).

Im assuming I have not used the correct driver or set up this RAID 1 incorrectly on my workstation, the performance is very slow dragging horribly. Should I be using "64bit Win7W2k3 Intel RSTe AHCI & RAID drivers v4.1.0.1046 WHQL" for C600? Will it install when the BIOS ROM is 12.70.1936? I believe I tried using RSTe drivers before but kept getting "error message saying the OS could not be installed to that partition".

Here is my set up:

Asus P9X79 LE Motherboard - Intel(R) C600/X79 series chipset

Asus BIOS Version updated to v4701
SATA Mode: RAID (optional values include IDE, ACHI)
Intel Rapid Storage Technology: IRST (optional values include RSTe which a message says a reinstall is required)
BIOS OROM: 12.70.1936

Boot\Compatibility Support Module
Launch CSM: Enabled
Boot Device Control: UEFI and Legacy OPROM

Windows 2008 R2 x64:
Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller: 12.9.0.1001 (Driver Files: iaStorA.sys & iaStorF.sys)
Intel RAID 1 Volume: 6.1.7600.16385(Win7_rtm.090713-1255) (Driver Files: disk.sys & iaStorF.sys & partmgr.sys)

Drives:
WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A 1 Gig

Just the drivers were installed during install and no monitoring intel software.

Sorry im not very savvy regarding these setups and spent numerous hours trying to figure out why this system is dragging so badly.
Any suggestions or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks DMC

@ DMC:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

What means "very slow"? Did you compare the current performance with a previous one using another SATA mode or SATA drivers?

No, I do not recommend to install any RSTe driver as long as you are running your Intel SATA RAID Controller in "RST mode" (DEV_2822).

No.

You get this message, when you try to install the OS onto a not suitable partition (not enough space or not designed for the OS) and it has nothing to do with the installed Intel RST driver version.

Regards
Fernando

Hi Fernando,

Thanks for the response.

This workstation is used as a development machine running Visual Studio.net, SQL Server 2008, and IIS. I used to have Windows 2012 with RAID 1 but switched to Win 2008 R2 to mimic our production server. The workstation now runs very slow now after a reinstall from win 2012 to win 2008. Opening any application takes about 3-4 times longer than it used to running win 2012 or the Win 7 Pro Raid 1 using v11.2.0.1006 systems in the office. Our production server is running Windows 2008 RAID 1 and is much faster on read/write performance than this workstation. Nothing is showing in event logs but something is hanging.

Which is better performance wise, RSTe or IRST? I am wondering if i switch to RSTe on the BIOS and reinstall using “64bit Win7W2k3 Intel RSTe AHCI & RAID drivers v4.1.0.1046 WHQL” if the system would perform better.

I guess im just confused because in this post and the references to x79 C600 chipsets.

Intel(R) RST/RSTe Drivers (newest: v13.1.0.1058/v4.1.0.1046 WHQL) - “(Note: These real “Enterprise Edition” RST Drivers contain an additional SCSI Filter Driver as well, but are just designed for Intel C600 Series Chipsets like X79!)”

According to the feedback I got from users with an X79 RAID system the RST/RST(e) drivers v11 or v12 series gave them the best performance.

By the way: You have at least 2 completely different options to get the Intel RAID drivers v11 or v12 running:

• Option A (using the RST switch within the BIOS):
    If you choose this option, you just have to choose te "RST" option of your BIOS. In this case the on-board "Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SATA RAID Controller" (DEV_2826) will be switched to an "Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller" (DEV_2822) and will use the Intel RST RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936 of your BIOS. As a consequence you can use all original (untouched) Intel RST drivers from v11.x.x.xxxx up.
  • Option B (using the RSTe BIOS option, requires a recreation of the RAID array and a fresh OS installation)
    In this case your on-board "Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SATA RAID Controller (DEV_2826) wilstay untouched, but you have to update the Intel RSTe RAID ROM v3.x.x.xxxx of your BIOS to an especially X79 modded Intel RST RAID ROM v11.x.x.xxxx or v12.x.x.xxxx (you can find these modded OROM modules >here<). After having created the RAID array by using this modded OROM you can install the OS.
    Important: Since none of the original Intel RST/RST(e) RAID drivers natively do support your original (=un-switched) DEV_2826 SATA RAID Controller, you have to take a modded variant of the matching Intel RST/RST(e) driver v11 or v12, where the missing HardwareIDs have been added. You can find a lot of different Intel RST/RST(e) drivers, which have been modified by me, within the start post of >this< thread. As F6 driver for the OS installation you can use any original Intel RSTe driver v3.x.x.xxxx, but once the OS is up, you can update it to the desired v11.x.x.xxxx or v12.x.x.xxxx RAID driver.

I doubt, that this will happen. Furthermore I do not recommend to install any Intel RSTe driver v4.x.x.xxxx, because this development branch has been designed for the upcoming X99 chipsets.

Hello,

I’m looking for the best Intel RST driver for my Z68 mainboard with 10.8.0.1303 OROM. I guess the last driver for that mainboard is the 12.9.4.1000, in Intel Download Center it doesn’t even show up though. The last compatible driver I can find there is the 12.9.0.1001. 12.9.4.1000 seems to be made for HP. Are there any improvements?
I’d just stick with the 12.9.0.1001, or should I consider using an older driver or even the 12.9.4.1000?

Kind regards

@ Dionysos:

1. The choice of the "best" Intel RST driver for any Intel chipset system depends on the Intel SATA mode you are using (AHCI or RAID).
    2. The Intel RAID ROM of your mainboard BIOS will only be used by your Intel SATA Controller, if you have set it to "RAID" (look for the related BIOS setting).

This is only valid for Intel 6-Series Chipset systems, which are running in AHCI mode.

If you want to get the latest/best Intel RST drivers, you should not search for them at Intel’s Download Center.

The higher the version number within a certain development string (here: v12.9.x.xxxx), the more bugs have been fixed by the Intel staff.

If you are running your system drive (HDD/SSD) in AHCI mode, I recommend to install the Intel RST(e) driver v12.9.4.1000 WHQL.

Regards
Fernando

@ Fernando:
Thanks for the quick reply and the warm welcome!

So 12.9.4.1000 will be the driver of my choice.
Or maybe I even modify my UEFI and flash a new OROM to it… What would be the best OROM for a Z68 mainboard?

The best matching Intel RAID ROM version for the Intel RST(e) drivers v12.9.4.1000 is v12.9.0.2006.

Hi Fernando,

Quick question; I am using UBU to update the Intel RST OROM and EFI SataDriver for my motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX

Currently it’s using v12.5.0.1815

And UBU gives me the following options:

1. v11.6.0.1702
2. v12.9.0.2006
3. v13.1.0.2126
4. v13.2.0.2134

What option do you recommend for me?

I am going to use this system as a NAS with 6x 3TB harddisks in RAID 1 (3x arrays of 2 HD’s each in RAID 1) and I will configure those 3 arrays as RAID 0 in the NAS GUI (which is based on Linux).

What version can you recommend me?

Thank you!

Off-topic; man though you don’t remember me, I do remember you back in the early days when I still had a DFI motherboard many, many years ago. Good to see you still being active!! :slight_smile:

@ HHawk:

I recommend to insert the v13.1.0.2126 OROM and SataDriver modules.

Yes, it must have been at nForcersHQ Forum. I owned a DFI Lanparty UT nF4 UltraD mainboard at that time and found at least a way how to get Vista installed onto my LEGACY mode nForce4 RAID0 array.

All the best to you!
Fernando

Thank you for the welcome.
And thanks for recommending the correct version for me. Highly appreciated.

Yeah, thats right… Many years have passed now! Internet is a small world after all. Haha.

Thank you once again!