Which are the "best" Intel AHCI/RAID drivers?

So i just replaced my vertex 4 128gb with a samsung evo 840 500 gb. i have to say after reinstalling windows 7 and tweaking everything to get windows back to the way it was originally with the vertex 4, it seems the vertex 4 was slightly better in a few areas. i’m still trying to see if i should use the same ahci driver i used with the vertex 4 with my evo but the boot time was actually noticeabley better on the vertex 4. and also, the evo 840 is hanging longer on the shutting down part of windows. the vertex 4 was also quick to when it would say shutting down it would only take about 2 seconds but with the evo 840 i’ve been seeing some hangings taking close to like 7 seconds. on the vertex build i was using AHCI 13.0.3.1001. I had tried it on the evo but i can’t tell but overall the vertex 4 seems to be slightly faster. transferring data to a big tb drive too seems slower. I have the newest firmware as well on the evo. On my evo im currently using 13.1.0.1058. Anybody ever jump from a 128 vertex 4 to a evo 840 500 gig?

also, overall windows 7 in general is a little more slower than the vertex 4 was as well just to put out there. i know the evo 840 is a good choice and that the evo compared to the pro isn’t really noticeable in real regular user environments.

@Fernando

i have a notebook machine msi gt780dxr with intel hm67!!! i installed v12.9.4.1000 WHQL and work great and have orom OROm 13.1.0.2126 :slight_smile: you recommed for best performance to install new 13.2.0.2134 series or downgrade to 12.9.0.2006

@ Rhadamanthis:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

As long as you are running your Intel SATA Controller in AHCI mode, no Intel RAID ROM module will be used.
If you want to switch the Intel SATA Controller to "RAID" in the future, I recommend to downgrade the Intel RAID ROM to v12.9.0.2006, because this version matches the best the Intel RST drivers v12.9.x.xxxx.

Regards
Fernando

Thanks fernando :slight_smile:

Hi again Fernando.
have a few questions as I said before.
pc: p8z68-v pro ; 2500k ; vertex 4 (ahci mode)

which driver would be the best for my set up? I know that I have to install them via device manager. How do I know which one would be the best? benchmarking? also, turn in off C3 and C6 states makes the performance of the ssd better?

thx mate!

If I were you, I would install the Intel RST(e) driver v12.9.4.1000 WHQL.

The only way to find out the "best" storage driver is to test different versions for a longer time. With a benchmark test you can only compare the SSD performance, but not the stability of the system.

Yes. You can find additional tips >here<.

If I were you, I would install the Intel RST(e) driver v12.9.4.1000 WHQL.

The only way to find out the "best" storage driver is to test different versions for a longer time. With a benchmark test you can only compare the SSD performance, but not the stability of the system.

Yes. You can find additional tips >here<.

awesome!

one more thing, I need to unnistall the previous version of IRST. so I went to device manager, properties of the SATA device, and unnistall. but when I’ve restarted the pc, the driver was still there. Can u help me Fernando? thx

edit: the previous driver I want to uninstall is the 11.2.0.1006 which was installed via device manager.

Where is it and why did you try to uninstall it?
The in-use storage driver can be verified by doing a right click onto the Intel SATA AHCI Controller > "Properties" > "Driver" > "Driver Details".
It is neither needed nor recommended to uninstall the previously running Intel AHCI driver, when you want to get another driver version installed. If you simply replace the driver without uninstalling the old one, you can return to the old driver later on at any time without the need of a new installation (right click onto the Controller > "Update Driver Software" > "Browse my Computer…" > "Let me pick…" > Check the driver you want > "Next").

Where is it and why did you try to uninstall it?
The in-use storage driver can be verified by doing a right click onto the Intel SATA AHCI Controller > "Properties" > "Driver" > "Driver Details".
It is neither needed nor recommended to uninstall the previously running Intel AHCI driver, when you want to get another driver version installed. If you simply replace the driver without uninstalling the old one, you can return to the old driver later on at any time without the need of a new installation (right click onto the Controller > "Update Driver Software" > "Browse my Computer…" > "Let me pick…" > Check the driver you want > "Next").

I’ve installed the 11.2 via device manager. then when u told me to tried the 12.9 I went to uninstall the 11.2 via device manager, but after reboot the pc the 11.2 still installed. So, is it a problem if I just install the new one over the old one? (like 11.2 over the 12.9 or 12.9 over the 11.2) is it ok?

How and where did you check, that the v11.2.0.1006 driver was still installed?

It is generally no problem to install any Intel RST driver over an other.
Only exception: I do not recommend to "downgrade" directly from an RST(e) driver named iaStorA.sys (v11.5 or higher) to a classical RST driver named iaStor.sys (latest: v11.2.0.1006), because the OS may not be able to handle the additional SCSI filter driver named iaStorF,sys, which is part of the RST(e) drivers from v11.5 up and not usable with the "classical" RST driver named iaStor.sys.

How and where did you check, that the v11.2.0.1006 driver was still installed?

It is generally no problem to install any Intel RST driver over an other.
Only exception: I do not recommend to "downgrade" directly from an RST(e) driver named iaStorA.sys (v11.5 or higher) to a classical RST driver named iaStor.sys (latest: v11.2.0.1006), because the OS may not be able to handle the additional SCSI filter driver named iaStorF,sys, which is part of the RST(e) drivers from v11.5 up and not usable with the "classical" RST driver named iaStor.sys.

right clicking on the sata device (which the name was still "intel sata blablabla"), properties, driver section. This is because I installed first the classical 11.2 then when u told me to tried the 12.9 I went to device mangaer to uninstall this 11.2.

How can I make a safe downgrade? because now that I install the 12.9 I think the 11.2 was working better, at least playing battlefield 4 the game run smoother, no micro freezes at all.

As I have written previously, I do not really recommend to "downgrade" the Intel RST(e) driver to an RST one.
You may try it nevertheless by doing the following:
1. Run the Device Manager, right click onto the listed Intel SATA AHCI Controller > "Update Driver Software" > "Browse my Computer…" > "Let me pick…".
2. If you were right regarding the failed removal of the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006, the related device with this driver should be listed as "compatible hardware".
3. Choose it and click "Next".
After the next reboot your Intel SATA AHCI Controller (hopefully) should use the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006.

By the way: Which OS are you running?

As I have written previously, I do not really recommend to "downgrade" the Intel RST(e) driver to an RST one.
You may try it nevertheless by doing the following:
1. Run the Device Manager, right click onto the listed Intel SATA AHCI Controller > "Update Driver Software" > "Browse my Computer…" > "Let me pick…".
2. If you were right regarding the failed removal of the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006, the related device with this driver should be listed as "compatible hardware".
3. Choose it and click "Next".
After the next reboot your Intel SATA AHCI Controller (hopefully) should use the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006.

By the way: Which OS are you running?

windows 8.1 pro x64.

let me ask u a question, what would happen if I check the option "delete the driver software for this device" when I unistall via device manager?

windows 8.1 pro x64.

This may avoid the problems with the SCSI filter driver iaStorF.sys, because Windows 8/8.1 don’t need and don’t install it.

Usually all files, which belong to the related driver (with the extension .sys, .inf, .cat etc.) will be uninstalled. Nothing serious will happen, because Windows 8/8.1 has a generic MS AHCI driver, which will support the Intel SATA AHCI Controller of your mainboard. Only when no suitable alternative AHCI driver is available (Windows XP has no such driver), you will not be able to boot into the OS in AHCI mode.

windows 8.1 pro x64.

This may avoid the problems with the SCSI filter driver iaStorF.sys, because Windows 8/8.1 don’t need and don’t install it.

Usually all files, which belong to the related driver (with the extension .sys, .inf, .cat etc.) will be uninstalled. Nothing serious will happen, because Windows 8/8.1 has a generic MS AHCI driver, which will support the Intel SATA AHCI Controller of your mainboard. Only when no suitable alternative AHCI driver is available (Windows XP has no such driver), you will not be able to boot into the OS in AHCI mode.

so isnt necesary to check that option ? and if i check it nothing gonna happen ? like no booting into the OS

thanks fernando

No, I don’t expect any severe problem.
If the Intel SATA AHCI Controller managed by the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 should not be shown as "compatible hardware", you can install the driver nevertheless after having hit the "Have Disk" button, navigating to the desired driver folder and hit onto the file named iaAHCI.inf.

No, I don’t expect any severe problem.
If the Intel SATA AHCI Controller managed by the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 should not be shown as "compatible hardware", you can install the driver nevertheless after having hit the "Have Disk" button, navigating to the desired driver folder and hit onto the file named iaAHCI.inf.

I uninstal the driver via device manager and checked that option to delete the driver, thinking after reboot the intel driver go away and the microsoft one show up, but i ran into no boot OS :frowning: … thx god I made a restore point, so no damage haha

here is a pic before the reboot.
http://i.imgur.com/UOEWJi4.jpg

any idea what’s happened?

Not really, but I am wondering why you tried to uninstall the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006. I thought, that you wanted to replace the Intel RST(e) driver v12.9.4.1000 by the RST driver v11.2.0.1006.

Not really, but I am wondering why you tried to uninstall the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006. I thought, that you wanted to replace the Intel RST(e) driver v12.9.4.1000 by the RST driver v11.2.0.1006.

haha yea, I’m testing both, so I’m switching both drivers and testing. I can’t delete the driver via device manager because it gives me that no boot situation.

anyway I will testing both drivers installing directly from device manager. here is a pic for the section "let me pick from a list…". 3 drivers are listed, one is the microsoft standar and the other two I think they are v11.2 and v12.9, too bad isn’t show the versions in the name.
http://i.imgur.com/EeJmGLT.jpg

an observation, if I want to downgrade 12.9 to 11.2 windows doesn’t let me saying the driver is up to date, so I need to switch to the microsoft standard sata driver, reboot, and then install the 11.2.

really thank you for ur patience Fernando! This forum is gold for the community!

You can avoid the long way round with the intermediate generic MS AHCI driver: When you want to "downgrade" the version of any driver, you should just hit the "Have Disk" button and navigate to the driver you want to install. This way you can force the installation of any driver.

You are welcome!