Which BIOS module affects AHCI performance?

I cannot seem to find this answer after quite a lot of searching. Which ROM module affects AHCI performance when you have both OROM and EFI ROM in an UEFI BIOS?

I must confess I have a limited understanding of all this, but as I understand it, there are 2 modules that for RAID services in newer BIOS, the legacy OROM version, and the EFI ROM “SataDriver” BIOS module, is this correct? If a person is only using a single SSD in AHCI mode, which if any of these modules will affect performance when paired with various drivers?

Specifically on this motherboard:
Asus P8Z77-V Pro

If I don’t understand this properly please let me know! :slight_smile:

@ Rockslide:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

It depends on the sort you have installed the OS.

• If you have installed the OS (Win7 or newer) in UEFI mode, the Intel SATA Controller of your mainboard will only use the Intel EFI "SataDriver" module of the BIOS.
  • If your OS has been installed in LEGACY (=MBR) mode, only the Intel RAID ROM module will be used as Firmware of the Intel SATA Controller.

Regards
Fernando

That is very clear now. Thank you so much.

hallo…what is faster booting… UEFI mode or Leagacy mode?
I need reinstall windows and want to know what is better…I have samsung 840 pro ssd and hdd for storage…buy I think to buy pcie Plextor 256GB NGFF M6e PCIe solid state drive or similar.

The booting is much faster, if you do it with clean "UEFI" mode (CSM disabled).

Do you recommend install in raid or ahci mode in bios?
I will use only 1 ssd or pciE M.2 ssd and 1 hdd for storage.
thx

In this case I would set the Intel SATA Controller to "AHCI".

In this case I would set the Intel SATA Controller to "AHCI".

In my case …what will happen if I set intel sata controller to RAID ?
thanks for support

Probably not much regarding the performance, but maybe you will get a much longer boot time due to the initialization of the RAID Controller (especially when the OS installation has been done in LEGACY mode).
I always prefer the AHCI mode unless I want to create a RAID array.
Why did you ask? It’s better to try it. Then you will recognize the differences yourself.

If I disable CSM …I cant past bios screen …installation is go still to bios.
Only I can install windows if I enable csm.
Any suggestions how to install windows in UEFI mode on asus sabertooth Z97.
I flash newest mooded ,updated bios with UBU tool and enable RAID 0 with 2 ssds

What about the GopDriver of your discrete graphics card?
You can check it by temporarily removing your graphics card and retrying to set CSM to disabled.

What about the GopDriver of your discrete graphics card?
You can check it by temporarily removing your graphics card and retrying to set CSM to disabled.

Do you mean remove GopDriver with MMTool Aptio ?and flash bios without GopDriver again?

No, the GopDriver for the active graphics adapter is absolutely needed, if you want to boot in clean UEFI mode (CSM disabled).
What I meant is: Are you using the Intel GPU, which is part of your CPU, or a discrete graphics card. If it should be the latter, you should check, if there is a GopDriver for your special graphicvs card available.
Note: The GopDriver for a discrete graphics card has to be flashed into the card, not into the mainboard BIOS.

No, the GopDriver for the active graphics adapter is absolutely needed, if you want to boot in clean UEFI mode (CSM disabled).
What I meant is: Are you using the Intel GPU, which is part of your CPU, or a discrete graphics card. If it should be the latter, you should check, if there is a GopDriver for your special graphicvs card available.
Note: The GopDriver for a discrete graphics card has to be flashed into the card, not into the mainboard BIOS.

Im using EVGA GTX 780 hydro cooper graphics card .Im removed gtx 780 and try only Intel GPU, which is part of your CPU.
When I disabled CSM in bios …also I cant past bios …so I cant install windows 7 in UEFI.
Should I set up some settings in bios? Im also looking for Gop Driver for gtx 780 on net now …will see if this card is supported with Gop driver.

Please check all your third party non-storage devices and your bootable UEFI mode Win7 image.
Additionally I recommend to look into your mainboard manual.

Please check all your third party non-storage devices and your bootable UEFI mode Win7 image.
Additionally I recommend to look into your mainboard manual.

Its all work …I have installed windows 7 in RAID 0 …2 ssds samung 840 pro 240 GB and Intel 520 180 GB ssd…its working now …but not in EUFI …Problem is I cant install windows 7 when I disable CSM in BIOS.

Also If removed GTX 780 from system …still cant past boot bios …when disabled CSM.

I read on evga forum that … All 700/Titan model of video cards are already support UEFI and Windows 8. There is no update needed for this option to work.

Just need to find why SAUS SABERTOOTH Z97 wont boot with CSM disabled.

Windows 7 has no support for UEFI GOP - it works only with legacy vbios - so it needs CSM to be enabled.

@ boorya:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your contribution!

… or to switch from Win7 to Win8.1 or Win10 Technical Preview.

Regards
Fernando