Which Z87 Board has future proof BIOS modding

Hello win-raid,

After my failed old DFI P45 board bios modding process because of silly rom size limitation I decided to get new system.It drives me crazy.
You can see my experience at that link : raid0 2 x 7200 slow performance

I am going to update my old Q9400 cpu + P45 dfi motherboard with new Haswell i7 4770K with Z87 chipset.

The things are certain;
*I will go with Intel despite price/performans champ amd fx
*I will go with Socket 1150 not with X79 despite quad channel memory support or cheaper 1155 board
*I will go with i7 not i5 because after Haswell-E , Ivy Bridge-E released ,i5 without hyper threading will be older and older and in the near future games will support much cores too so i7 hyper-threading will save one or more year to upgrade.

Thing is not certain;
*Which Z87 board?

And I want to get more information about these criterias:

*Which is best AMI or AWARD BIOS for modding?
*Which board has not limitation like rom sizes problems etc.?
*Which board has more bios moder, forum support?
*Which board has changeable bios chip?

I think a lot of people dont know how much important modable bios is…After my bad experience bios modding with my old 5 year system I am now much sharp about BIOS.Because after years BIOS is only thing you can play and fun and gain a bit performance.

So the motherboards that I interesting in are;

•ASUS Maximus VI Hero
•Gigabyte Z87X-OC
•MSI Z87 MPower
•ASUS Z87-Pro
•and yours advice?

Thanks,

@ oldschoolh:
Since all Socket 1150 mainboards (except the Intel ones) are using an AMI Aptio UEFI BIOS, which can be easily opened and modified with the AMI UEFI MMTool and are big enough to avoid any space problem, the manufacturer of the Board will be less important.
A problem may occur with ASUS mainboards, who don’t support the “USB BIOS Flashback” feature (the cheaper ones), but all better ASUS Z87 boards from P8Z87-Plus up definitively have the related Flashback button, which makes it very easy to flash a modded .CAP BIOS file.
It is not easy to recommend any special board, because the supported features are different. I personally am still very satified with my ASUS Z68-V and Z77- mainboards, I would buy an ASUS P8Z87-Plus or - more expensive - an ASUS P8Z87-PRO.

Fernando I see Gigabyte has a very big community about modded BIOS’es and active members on forums.
And I heard Asrock is suprisingly do very flexible chips too…In Turkey it isnt possible the get Asrock now.

After your information I modified my question.

ASUS or Gigabyte for future bios modding?
Or this depends to luck 5 years later :slight_smile:

Thanks.

I don’t see any difference, if you are able and willing to modify the BIOS yourself. In my eyes this option is better than to be dependent on someone else. You may have to bother this person each time, when the mainboard manufacturer will release a new BIOS version.