Why does Windows Update make my integrated ASMedia SATA controller disappear?

ASRock Taichi Z370 w/ integrated 3rd party ASMedia 1061 SATA ports.

BIOS shows no drives present. Device manager does not show the controller. I’ve installed a million versions of the driver a million different ways. I’ve reflashed the BIOS. This is only ever triggered after Windows Update and the PC is forced to restart. I don’t know what special trick I’ve done to get it back before.

The drive is not bad, the ports are not bad, the cable is not bad.

The MoBo has 8 ports, 1 unuseable to an M2 slot being used. 2 are Asmedia, the rest are intel. an LSI card connects 4 more drives. Everything works but the 2 Asmedia ports.

I’m having a hard time believing the controller is dead. It just works when it feels like it. Any wild ideas I should try?

@doctaphil89 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Which HDDS/SSDs are connected to which ports of your mainboard?
Which OS are you running and which OS Update caused your current problem?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I have disconnected all of them but usually, all of them are in use except for the one that is disabled due to the M.2 slot being used. Every single one is a WD Red, every single one spins up when power is connected and the system starts.

I am running Windows 10, I’m not sure which update did it specifically, but it happens EVERY time Windows 10 FORCES an update & subsequent restart. It happened twice in the past 48 hours, I’m just not sure what in particular I did to make the controller show back up again. This has happened at least 2 or 3 other times in the past year.

@doctaphil89 :
If your problems really have been caused by a specific Windows Update, only Microsoft will be able to help you, but you should send Microsoft a report, which names the specific Windows Update and what happened with your system after having installed it.