Win-Raid -- New Home ! Upgrading forum software and evolving

i have an L1T account, uses same email, good question

The winraid setup will essentially continue to be its own site, just new forum software. Not a merger or anything per se. We could do that in the future.

> I use a different email
Even if we were to merge at some point in the future, you can still run two different emails on one forum (with two different usernames).

So I don’t anticipate any problems of account overlap. We’ll setup an email link or help form though just in case anyone has any trouble resetting their password though.

@Wendell

Hello Wendell,

Sorry, had a bunch of questions saved for posting later and the DSL internet has been down due to an ATT network issue and a final brunt of income tax filings for the first time for yesterday’s deadline completed so was unable to post further questions till now which ATT restored today.

Is Level1Techs still running off of Drupal v7.0 that was released in 2011?

If so will the migrated Win-Raid forum also be running on Drupal v7.0 on its own separate server?

[Looks like you recently sort of answered this question about separate sites just recently before I had a chance to post this…]
After the migration is complete will Win-Raid and Level1Techs still continue to use their own separate website addresses as it is now when the user is logging in?

Where will we go after the migration to login to the Win-Raid account? Will you be resetting your migrated Win-Raid account at anmeldung.php or at https://forum.level1techs.com/?

Are Win-Raid migrated user accounts usable only on the Win-Raid site and not the Level1Tech site or is it a shared user account on both sites meaning one account can log into either site?

If logging in to the migrated Win-Raid forums will you be logging in at the Level1Techs home page or login at Win-Raid as we are currently?

Since the migrated Win-Raid will maintain its own site will there be a way to use Win-Raid site’s traditional login page style and the same Win-Raid protocol TSL 1.2 compliant TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 cypher?

For your Level1Tech site, is there any way for you to add TSL 1.2 Cypher minimum fallback protocol support currently supported at about 95% of all websites?

Will each site (Win-Raid and Level1Tech) still maintain their own independent user accounts meaning after the migration of the Win-Raid account will only have access to the Win-Raid forums and will need to create a separate Level1Tech account in order to access Level1Tech forums?

Will all posts and threads from Win-Raid that have migrated to Level1Techs server preserve the “thread creator’s name”, “original creation dates”, and “thread last modified dates” in the thread title as it is on Win-Raid now or will it look similar to the Level1Techs current forum message design and details style?

After the transfer of the forum posts to Level1Techs’s Win-Raid server, can the original owner/OP/creator of the that Win-Raid thread still be able to delete their thread page or modify the thread title and update the the contents of that thread page despite the age of the post which could be a few weeks or years?

Are there any newer features or access control that the owner/op/creator of a thread or post will have that the content management system Xobor lacks and Drupal has that you can mention as an improvement from this migration?

After the migration is complete can all previous older posts (not threads) made on Win-Raid by the original poster still be modified or deleted by that same user or will all Win-Raid migrated posts (not threads) be frozen and unalterable once migrated to the Level1Tech’s Win-Raid server and only possible for post migrated new posts?

Have all the BIOS Modding Threads/Posts been migrated yet which seem to be the core of preserving?

Are the Win-Raid forums being fully downloaded entirely first before the conversion migration process or are you processing the threads one at a time as you go and if so can you demo a small Win-Raid thread publicly that has been converted with (read only access)?

For posts/threads that included file attachments can you retain the same ability to download these files as a public guest without needing to login to the site? At the moment Win-Raid allows any public guest viewer to read posts and even download file attachments without needing an account to log in.

Is there an ETA of how long it would take to migrate the entire Win-Raid forum or a status of what has been migrated so far?

Thank you Wendell.

Good. Lord.

hmm, ok…

No

Drupal has nothing to do with the forum or migration or anything like that

We will be following industry best practices with regard to cypher strength and supported suites:
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze…sults=on&latest
Currently we score an A on Qualsys SSL evaluation. We will not support obsolete protocols.

Almost everything else was already covered, but…

You will have to reset your password. Those won’t migrate. Special care has been taken to preserve thread urls. The controls are different, but it should still work. The win-raid domain will keep working but it is ambiguous to us at this time how timely the migration of the domain will be. The migration of the forum data will only take a few hours to maybe a day. We will link to the interim url here.

We have a load balancer and such at level1techs which may mean win-raid becomes a subdomain since the edge server/LB/caching services charge by domain name, so I’m not going to specify yet. It is up and running, but not ready for users to do anything yet.

As stated elsewhere this sort of stuff is preserved. Still working on private messages though.

Drupal is not part of the equation… I think threads older than 6 months are locked, but moderators can intervene if necessary.

Drupal is not part of the equation. There are lots of new content management features. It’s faster for one. And way less ads, though we might add back a banner ad or two just to offset costs. It seems a bit excessive to me here, though. We’ll sort that out later.

This is controlled by forum policy. Some threads here are ancient, and still get regular replies. Why would we close those? There is no technical reason to do it one way or the other, just down to what users want and how things normally operate.

Everything including files up through november.

plutomaniac and fernando have already been given access as described early in this thread. We put together a conversion program and can bring it current as soon as we get a dump from xobor. Xobor is the bottleneck in obtaining dumps and brining the posts current.

This works the same, though I think we don’t preserve the public file urls, we do preserve the threads they came from. Which then have a public link. I don’t think this will be a concern.

As stated earlier on the thread, we are waiting on xobor. Once we have the most recent dump it’ll take about 8 hours. This domain will go read only.

Before it goes read-only here, on xobor, it will be updated with a message and links to the new forum url. Then over the next few days we’ll get control over the win-raid.com domain and hook it up, too, to the new domain name. The links themselves will be the same for threads.

so like this one /t10449f2-Win-Raid-New-Home-Upgrading-forum-software-and-evolving-1.html# will continue to be t10449f2-Win-Raid-New-Home-Upgrading-forum-software-and-evolving-1.html# at the new domain for example.

This takes more words to describe but overall it should be minimally disruptive with regard to links, preservation and utility. It is a minor miracle we were able to do a conversion as high fidelity as we have been able to do imho given the highly obscure base software we are working from. It is likely to be more disruptive in that it is new/different software, with a different setup. I think it is more modern? But that is subjective.
AND We are totally 100% hoping to continue to iterate and improve and work on it after the migration. The migration to the new platform gives us those features and flexibility that is impossible right now on the current platform.

1 Like

I’m curious in the reason to migrate forum? Who came up with the idea?

Mate, can you not read the thread? I nearly had a heart attack as I’m monitoring (and dreading) the changes - at least until they have happened, then it’s a fait accompli.

Your Welcome

just a quick question will the migration happen this April or somewhere within May or June? take your time guys this looks very important feel free to delay if needed

@wendell @plutomaniac @Fernando

Delighted “Win-Raiders” is finding a new “home”…! Arghh matey :slight_smile:

Always enjoyed Wendell’s youtube chats when a suffering from a ‘tech addiction attack’ so I think this should be a good fit.

BTW my Asus P6T mobo is still running using the X5680 Xeon chip at a cool overclocked 4.56GHz as a daily internet driver…

Dropped in an LSI 9271-8i adapter card and did a RAID5 array on 4 Samsung 500GB SSDs to run at 2460GB/s throughput.

Squeaking every drop of performance before upgrading sometime later this year…

If you stick around long enough you actually learn a few things along the way. What’s not to like?

Wishing you all much success!

Cheers

Hans

1 Like

@ ALL

Hi everyone! We are almost ready to migrate to the new platform. We’re expecting it to happen tomorrow, Wednesday April 27th. Due to time difference between the parties involved and time required for the actual migration, it would be safe to assume that the forum will not be accessible tomorrow.

The current domain will be operational a few days afterwards (hopefully, needs to be transfered after the migration) but we’ll link you to the new one manually in the interim.

Best regards,
Plato

2 Likes

Thanks for your hard work. Glad to join the new forum.

2 Likes

Reference:

congratulations on moving to your new home! :grin: :grin: :grin: win-raid come on!

2 Likes

@jhsvip
Thank you for the wish. Please remember that this is an English-only forum.

1 Like

yes!thanks for ur trans!I will trans my words into english in the future post.

1 Like

I can help with translations, if you need help translating then just @Aquavision me.

1 Like

@plutomaniac
Now both forums are still “out of sync” - old one not being updated anymore and this one (e.g. your Intel CSME thread) having very old entries.

Besides waiting after this weekend, is there any information you can give us on when these main threads will be updated?

thank you

Just like Dieter mentioned at the Welcome thread, I’ll first wait for any topic changes to migrate before further updating with current pending changes:

I’m of the opinion that it is better to wait a bit and do it properly, rather than rushing for no significant/important reason.

2 Likes

great job,thanks for keeping it alive!

1 Like