Windows won't accept enabled PTT

Hey guys, sorry for opening a topic “again” that has been discussed before (Sadly, all old posts didn’t find/state a solution).

Following issue: I have a ROG Maximus 8 Extreme with an i7 6700k. I want to enable PTT.

I got a bios mod from dsanke which helped me to enable PTT in BIOS. Secure Boot is enabled, CSM is disabled, UEFI boot mode is enabled aswell. This didnt help so i tried a grub mod from this post: Forum - Cannot enable Intel PTT (TPM 2.0) at ASUS motherboard but this didn’t help aswell…

Look at MEinfo:

Look at Intel FIT:

As far as i’ve understood the whole thing, windows should accept this, but it won’t:

Device Manager:

grafik

Anyone has an idea what else i can do?

Why would you like this PTT feature enabled? For installing Windows 11?

Yes. I know that the i7 6700k is not officially supported, but this is no real issue. Unfortunately some programs requiere TPM 2.0 (Anticheat for example) to work - while not really caring about unsupported CPU. So i should be fine just with TPM 2.0 alone.

Seems there’s no TPM header on your board. I think it’s not possible to bring this to your motherboards unless you find schematics and solder to LPC/SPI bus the TPM module and hope it gets recognized by the motherboard.
Elsewhere, it’s a no go I guess except if someone managed to do some fwTPM magic on these old boards?

Work around I found and might help you, is a virtual machine with TPM2.0.
And if you play game you’ll have to hide the virtual machine and passthrough your GPU.

I don’t want to use a header, I want to use “PTT” which should be the CPU emulated version of a TPM module. And, as far as I have understood, this should work with z170 board and 6th generation CPUs. Usually, the manufacturer should’ve pushed a bios update to enable this, but asus only did this for z170 low end motherboard…

Even if the motherboard has this hidden function, it won’t be tpm 2.0 .

The Intel® Platform Trust Technology (Intel® PTT) and AMD fTPM was introduced due to the implementation of TPM2.0 of June 2015, not on earlier 1.x specs.
Every system with those are 2.0 based.
Extras dependencies are ME from Intel and PSP from AMD

Just for the record

TPM is a device. And devices come from ACPI tables, even if it’s virtual one like PTT.

I compared bios files of ROG Maximus 8 and Z170-A.
ROG Maximus 8 bios doesnt have TPM device and its aux entrys in ACPI. It doesn’t have some AmiTcg uefi drivers as well.
I think TPM won’t appear in device manager no matter which settings are aplied, until you include all dependancies.

Do you think that it could be possible to add these dependencies? Maybe from a z170-A bios?

It is possible to add them. It is also possible that uefi drivers from the other board won’t work.

I can edit the bios for you and we’ll see if TMP works.

That would be great, thank you so much! Do you need any further information to do it?

No. Nothing.

The file is ready for download.

Details

[Added UEFI drivers]
AmiTcgNvflagSample
AmiTcgPlatformDxe
TcgDxeplatform
TcgLegacy
Tpm20Acpi
Tpm20PlatformDxe

[Added DSDT entrys to Definitions Block]
Name (SMIA, 0xB2)
Name (SMIB, 0xB3)
Name (OFST, 0x35)
Name (TRST, 0x02)
Name (TCMF, Zero)
Name (TMF1, Zero)
Name (TMF2, Zero)
Name (TMF3, Zero)
Name (TTPF, One)
Name (DTPT, Zero)
Name (TTDP, Zero)
Name (TPMB, 0xFFFFFFFF)
Name (TPMC, 0xFFFFFFFF)
Name (TPMM, 0xFED40000)
Name (FTPM, 0xFFFFFFFF)
Name (PPIM, 0xFFFF0000)
Name (PPIL, 0xF0)
Name (AMDT, Zero)
Name (TPMF, Zero)
Name (PPIV, Zero)

[Added DSDT entrys to PTS method]
_SB.TPM.TPTS (Arg0)

[Added DSDT entrys in between DSDT LID0 Device and RAMS Scope]
Device (_SB.TPM)…

Hi @Sweet_Kitten,

Thanks for the modded bios, sadly this didn’t help aswell… i guess there might be some kind of additional security feature that we can’t just “copy”, or the implementation is really missing on this board, maybe deeper thank i thought…

Still, really thank you for helping!