Winxp "untranslatable message, win32lasterror is 14001"

reinstalling windows xp as the last of those from 11 to xp. i did this before but i got rid of them but i’m now redoing them. went with integral edition and havent tried any other isos as of yet, but i have a feeling the same error might occur on other ones. what i did differently this time was instead of removing the ssd so the hdd im trying to install xp on is temporarily set to disk 0 and won’t give me the incompatible partiton error.

the first stage of the setup with the blue background goes completely fine but issues start on the gui part. shortly after booting after the installation starts, i get the winxp “untranslatable message, win32lasterror is 14001” error that looks like this:

(not my pic)

i haven’t been able to find any concrete solution to the error. it sucks that windows has the most cryptic errors.

If you do a Google search for “untranslatable message, win32lasterror is 14001”, you will get a lot of hints. Maybe you can find a solution this way.
Good luck!

a lot of the results point towards it being an issue with either the cd (which doesn’t apply to my case) or something to do with the mbr, seemingly remnants of previous installations. i’m only going to fully wipe my hdd as a last option as i have over 90gb on there atm and for now ill just try other winxp isos.

turns out it was actually something with the integral edition iso that caused the error. i found another fully updated iso that as of writing is at the 18 minutes/registering components point. i might try different patch configs with ie to see if any one of them were causing issues though for now im going to keep xp on this iso.

1 Like