X99 ECC support

Intel CPUs: Xeon E5 vs. Core i7

It has been known that X99 is ECC ram compatible in native. Manufacters, like Asus, has tested ECC momeries only on small portion of mobos and gives full support for them.
It there anyway to increase the options of ECC in UEFI with mobos that is not fully supported by manufacter? Is there some hidden options or combatible UEFI modules over all x99 mobos?

examples of nativelly supported boards:
ASUS X99-E WS
ASUS X99-M WS
ASUS X99-WS/IPMI
ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1

For X79 with Xeon e5 v1 and v2 CPU Ecc unbuffered worked fine, however i could not boot with ecc registeted. This is on an Asus P9X79 Pro board. Bearing in mind that on both X79 and X99 the memory controller is on the CPU my feeling is that this is an artificial intel imposed limitation, probably via the ME.
Its a similar story of ecc being supported on i3’s but not on i5/i7 or with the E3 xeons being locked out of the consumer 1151 platforms - standard Intel bs.

1 Like

I am using Xeon prosessor, but before to order the memory kit I am still worried about possible lack of watchdog and communication between operating system and momery modules case of bit corrections. If I have understant the whole thing right.

I compared Bios files in UEFITool and in the first look I didn’t find any additional UEFI module. Bios files modules and order of the modules is almost indentically.

Yes, some BIOS have hidden ECC settings disabled. What BIOS particularly do you want checked out for this kind of settings?
I wont look through a bunch for you, that would take too long, but if you have a board or two in mind I will check for you.

I own Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 and I am comparing to X99-E WS/USB 3.1.
I noticed just that there is one number difference in embedded controller version. Could there anything to do with ECC memories?

X99-E WS/USB 3.1
PCH Stepping: 5/C2
EC1 Version MBEC-X99-0427
EC2 Version: RGE2-X99-0206

X99-A/USB 3.1
EC1 Version MBEC-X99-0426

pch.PNG

I doubt EC version like that matters, one probably just updated more recently. What is your goal, trying to get ECC support for the X99-A?

Yes, I am trying to get full support for ECC. Any idea where the embedded controller might be? Name of the module? Is that DXE or PEI driver?

Thanks for help.

X99-E-10G WS - very newest X99 mobo
EC1 Version MBEC-X99R-2015
EC2 Version: RGE2-X99R-2010

X99-E WS/USB 3.1
EC1 Version MBEC-X99-0427

X99-A/USB 3.1
EC1 Version MBEC-X99-0426

EC update is often separate from BIOS, are you sure it’s in Asus BIOS itself? Did you check all the available download files on Asus site?

I will look at the X99-A BIOS for you tonight and see if any settings for ECC are hidden. Do you see any at all? If yes, what all do you see regarding ECC?

Thanks for your effort. Remember look for X99-A/USB 3.1

Asus bios files updates EC. You cannot updated it separately. That is all I know.

Does anyone know what DXE driver: platform stands for?

@Sylar76

Also UncoreInitPeim module is slightly different. Am I right that format some dram behavior?

Sorry, but maybe I too noob for this kind of working

Start reading from side 25. It´s Datasheet for V4 Processor but I think you can get similar one for your V3.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/pu…sheet-vol-2.pdf

UncoreInitPeim module is strictly related to CPU Cache and DRAM behaviour of course.

But according to some tests I made with latest bios and cpu microcodes, it is better to keep the native Uncore module
instead of modding/replacing it.

The only thing I see for ECC in the X99-A/USB 3.1 BIOS is ECC support, and it’s default setting is Auto

What method you were using or program?

AMIBCP, and MMTool/UEFITool (Extracted setup to verify)

What could be the module that update EC on mobo? It is there in the bios file.

I did not look in BIOS for EC, you said it was there so I assumed you were correct. It probably is, before you mentioned that to confirm, I had checked asus download page and no EX downloads so you are surely correct.
Sorry, I don’t know how to view/edit EC FW. Well I have only looked at one boards EC and it was OEM like Lenovo or HP I think, maybe Asus looks different? I’ll see what I can find, but I bet its same, all alien text in hex and no way to render or view otherwise in app or anything.

Yes, confirm it’s there, I see ECUpdateFramework, still looking for file itself - found them! As you mentioned RGE2-X99-0206 @ 128kb / MBEC-X99-0426 @ 128kb
Nothing I can do with those, sorry. One looks like it has some VRM freq control, fan control and SMBus stuff in it (And overvoltage fun literally it says that, part of tweakit app it looks like. The othher USB flash related stuff, but that’s all I can tell
Here is files - https://www.sendspace.com/file/dd6aqs