XP on new laptop - no keyboard or mouse at the language & keyboard select screen

Hi,
I’m trying to get XP Pro SP3 installed on a Panasonic Toughbook CF-31 Mk5

I’ve got the installer seeing the hard drive using your AHCI driver, added with nlite.

In the Windows 7 device manager, the hard drive controller shows as “Mobile 5th generation intel core SATA, 9C83”
Hopefully that helps pin down what chipset it is.

The machine has got three USB2 ports and a USB3 port.
I have legacy USB etc. enabled in the BIOS.

It just does not recognise anything at the “Region and language options” screen, so I cannot get past that point in the setup…

I’ve tried a basic USB keyboard in each USB socket, both at that stage and having it plugged in from power on; likewise a very basic USB mouse that’s previously worked on desktop machines in this type if situation.

Again looking at devices from within Win 7, the internal keyboard just shows as ACPI Keyboard, no actual device IDs, so I’m at a loss as to what drivers I may need to add to the XP disc so the keyboard/mouse (or the Intel USB controller) is recognised during the setup.

The machine has swappable hard drive caddies so it is easy to switch back to Win 7 and get any info on devices from within that.

I need XP as quite a few on the programming tools I use in my work (on industrial machinery) do not exist for anything newer.
I have everything running on a CF-30, but that cannot take enough RAM to allow some of the latest programming packages to install & run, so I’m trying to get everything running on the 31…

Any info on appropriate drivers greatly appreciated!

Rob.

The only direct chance I see is,
to try an unattended install of XP,
meaning you build an answer file with all information.
https://www.overclockers.com/windows-xp-…d-installation/
The problem is, that the new USB drivers are unknown for XP.
When the USB 3 port is not from Intel,
you have a chance to integrate these USB files with nlite
in the XP installationsdisk.
Some Bios offers the possibility to emulate an PS/2 slot.
But with this I never had successs
Dietmar

PS: May be, there are some exotic solutions also:
You can install XP on an other compi and put then back the harddisk to the notebook.
Or there are some other kind of connection of a PS/2 mouse, keyboard.