Z77 Extreme 4 + 3570k stuck multipliers

Hello again. I really want to try this pinmod out before the programmer arrives here I got a pin and bent that and think that it may be skinny enough to hit the the 2 spots on the mobo. I may even file down the fatter side a little bit to get it thinner if need be. I included some pictures below, what do you think?

Also, to adequately reach that spot, I have to remove my video card because it is right behind it. That is no problem correct?

https://i.imgur.com/34U5ajy.jpg

Edit 2/21/19 - I tried for close to 2 hours to do the pinmod and it did not work. Sometimes when shorting the pins the PC would not even bother booting up until I let off one of the pins. Pins 4 and 5 also seem a bit ‘flattened’ from all the time i spent there and my audio now does not work either. I will just wait for the programmer

Hello again. I got around to doing ‘pinmod’ but I’m not sure if it worked correctly. Sometimes PC would not boot up until I let off one of the pins. It never did a loading bar for me. My audio also now does not seem to work anymore. Realtek HD audio is missing from my device manager and taskbar. Maybe I flattened a pin and audio does not work now because of that?

I ended up doing command:
fwupdlcl -f me.bin
which had me stuck at 94% before, but this time it fully completed.

I will continue to wait for programmer, and is there anyway to get the audio back or must I buy a soundcard?

@sosaa - You don’t need/can’t touch any actual pins, only the traces at their location on the board itself, the pins are actually underneath the chip (it’s QFP package, like BGA) and you can’t touch them anyway.
Yes, you can remove your video card, but you need to have onboard graphic setup and running before doing the pinmod, so you’ll have screen access after that.

Your needle/pin in image looks really fat, you should use much thinner needle, so you don’t short other pins during the process. When PC wont boot, that is due to short or incorrect pins touched etc. Sounds like you shorted it out or were touching incorrect pin traces

You already flashed ME via FPT, that is why FW Update tool completes correctly now, this should happen no matter what. To find out if your pinmod worked (only is there until reboot, so if you’ve rebooted then you need to do again)
Run this command, if it completes successfully and complete BIOS image is there with all regions in UEFITool (FD, ME, BIOS) then it’s pinmodded until next reboot >> FPTw.exe -d bios.bin

Once you do have pinmod, this will unlock your FD so you can reboot and it will still be unlocked, this also will test/confirm if pinmod success or not, if not it will not let you do this at all
Use this file and run command below - http://www.filedropper.com/fd-unlocked
FPTw.exe -desc -f fd.bin

As for audio, sounds like you probably shorted out the chip, or fried something else relating to it by touching wrong pins (tiny resistor probably if not chip itself)

Hello again Lost_N_Bios. I haven’t posted in a while but my Programmer came in a couple of weeks ago and I had brushed it aside. I am ready to work with it in order to unlock the BIOS but am not sure how. Any resources in particular?

https://i.imgur.com/E7yJxlp.jpg

@sosaa @Lost_N_BIOS
It occured in ASUS p67/z68/z77 too.
The reason of the problem I think is ME module missing!!!
I uesd AFU and fpt to flash the bios but it still kept stucking multipliers.
I solved it by SPI programmer~~~

How did you solve it with the SPI programmer? Is there a guide somewhere which may instruct me how to use this?

ME Module is missing sometimes when you try to dump entire BIOS with AFU or FPT, if your ME region is locked maybe, but you can dump it via FPTw.exe -me -d me.bin
But yes, if ME FW is corrupted (ME FW Version shows N/A or 0.0.0.0 in BIOS main page or HWINFO, motherboard/ME section) then yes easiest way to fix is via programmer, but there is other ways (Mainly unlocking FD and rewrite the ME with FPT)

@sosaa - here is guide on how to use flash programmers - https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-G…341A-programmer << Same as one directly below, but with all images expanded/visible at once
[GUIDE] Flash BIOS with CH341A programmer

To best do this, you should dump your BIOS with programmer, then have someone confirm it’s OK/actual BIOS before you write anything back. Then take that BIOS dump, use this clean ME guide, to clean, update and transfer in your board settings into a new ME FW
[Guide] Clean Dumped Intel Engine (CS)ME/(CS)TXE Regions with Data Initialization

Sorry I missed your earlier reply, I’ve been busy, and behind a lot recently! Where are you at here, I mean, is your multi still broken? If yes, send me your programmer dump and I will fix the ME for you, then we can work on unlocked BIOS if you want

Hello again Lost_N_BIOS.

Sorry for the time away but I am back now and want to fix this up. I followed your directions and obtained a dump of the BIOS chip. Hopefully I did this correctly and you can see what is wrong. Also, I manually removed the BIOS Chip rather than using the test clip as trying to clip onto the BIOS chip when it was still inserted into the motherboard was difficult and it kept coming off.

I have uploaded the file here as I cannot upload files greater than 6MB to this forum. The file is 8.00MB

https://gofile.io/?c=hfXEsm

@Lost_N_BIOS

I hope that you are still available for help or anyone else!

@sosaa - Sorry for the delay! Checking your dumped BIOS, I see ME FW is updated as expected now, so your ME FW is working correctly now, or not? Please check BIOS main page or with HWINFO64, do you see ME FW version now, or still 0.0.0.0 or N/A?
From the ME System tools folder, go to MEInfo folder, and run this and show me the output >> MEInfoWin.exe -verbose

Also, on the file upload to another site, that is fine with me, but next time, anytime, you are sharing a file online, please put in a zip or rar or 7zip, everyone thanks you

So, just wanted to check if your multiplier and ME FW issue was fixed yet or not, before we did anything about the BIOS unlocking.
For BIOS unlock, please zip for me images of all your BIOS pages, so I can see all you can see in each section and submenu, scroll up and down if needed.
You can probably use F12 to screenshot to USB, if not and you have to use a camera, then please set your camera to use small image size before you take images.
And, if you do end up having to use a camera, and can’t make small images (a few 100KB or less per image), then please zip all into a 7zip archive with max compression, thanks.

@Lost_N_BIOS Hello again. I took some pictures and have uploaded them to imgur for you. The file sizes are quite small 100KB or less. Let me know if you would like me to archive them with RAR next time or if uploading to imgur is ok

HWInfo pictures - https://imgur.com/a/bb7PgCP

MEInfo verbose pictures - https://imgur.com/a/IxwgPBU

Bios Pictures - https://imgur.com/a/Irqepf4

Not sure if those are enough pictures of the BIOS for you. The multipliers are still locked and I cannot OC my CPU or touch my RAM timings either.

@sosaa - As requested, please put in a archive, I do appreciate the small image sizes, but I need them all zipped so I can put in folder with your BIOS as I work.
Also, I need to see all of OC Tweaker (you missed bottom), and root of Advanced is missing, so I can see what all submenus you can see in advanced. Boot + Save and Exit missing also

Looks like ME FW is not badly corrupted, but it’s still not correct due to your mentioned symptoms, or the BIOS is not etc.
We’ve seen this before, ME and BIOS looked good, but only flash programmer fixed (ME and or BIOS reflashed never corrected for other users) - One example here

Since you have programmer and I have your dump, I will now fix it with stock BIOS, your NVRAM, unlock FD so you can FPT flash in future, and redo the ME FW. That should fix your current issues (OC, ram etc)
Program this on, then remove all power from the board (ie remove PSU cable from wall or board 24+8pin), then press and hold the case power on switch for 10-15 seconds, then let system sit for one+ minute in this state without any power. This is to reset ME State
Then plug back in, boot to BIOS, load optimal defaults and save/exit, reboot back to BIOS and try some OC settings. This should fix that, then I’ll work on BIOS menu for you once I have all the images.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…318749783487086

@Lost_N_BIOS I have added a more comprehensive list of pictures. Hopefully this is all of them that you needed. I archived them below included in the attachament.

I downloaded that FDME3.00.bin file but I am not exactly sure what to do. Do I add it to my programmer with my bios chip in it then override current BIOS?

3570kBios.rar (1.97 MB)

@sosaa - sorry, I assumed since you have a programmer, and sent me a programmer dump, that you knew how to use your programmer
Yes, put chip in programmer, erase, blank check, then open BIOS file, write/verify. Then put back into board.

Thanks for images

@Lost_N_BIOS Hey. I finally got around to using the programmer again and I believe I successfully overwrote everything. When I go into my BIOS I am now able to change my core speed to 42(100x) and the number no longer resets back down to 38. I checked HWMonitor and the values are now reading 4.2 as well!

Hello to everyone.
@Lost_N_BIOS i have similar problem, i have I7-3770K and when i try to change the multiplier come back to x39… also i can use only 2 of my 4 bank of ram…
If i go in the System Browser from BIOS or in CPU-Z i can see the 16 GB of ram but in windows and in the Home of the Bios only 8…
Can i flash this file in my Mobo or there are some specific info in the Bios and won’t work?
Thanks a lot in advance.
i have attached the response from this command MEInfoWin64.exe -verbose, the fd.bin dumped file and some useful info.

There is also the Bin of my bios
Regards
Stefano

BiosWES93.zip (467 KB)

BiosBCK2FV.zip (4.45 MB)

Hello to everyone.
i have a problem similiar to this:t4368f16-Z-Extreme-k-stuck-multipliers-2.htmlsimilar.
I have I7-3770K and when i try to change the multiplier come back to x39… also i can use only 2 of my 4 bank of ram…
If i go in the System Browser from BIOS or in CPU-Z i can see the 16 GB of ram but in windows and in the Home of the Bios only 8…
Can i flash this file in my Mobo or there are some specific info in the Bios and won’t work?
Thanks a lot in advance.
i have attached the response from this command MEInfoWin64.exe -verbose, the fd.bin dumped file and some useful info.

Did you know also wich chip for the bios is used (What i need to select in CH341A programmer Tool)?

I have also replied to the other topic but i dosen’t have received any rely so i think i need to create a ne topic.
Regards
Stefano

I have the same problem as you, but my card is older a little bit z68 streme 3 gen 3 I’m waiting for someone to help me with bios mod because the last version of my bios is beta I’m at 2.30. my mult crashes at 39

@sosaa - Good to hear you sorted with programmer as well, sorry for the super late reply!

@wes93 @PG_HARDWARE - You both need CH341A flash programmer + SOIC8 / SOP8 Test clip with cable. Let me know if you need linked examples at ebay or amazon.

wes93 - only being able to use two memory slots is almost always bent pins in CPU socket, but it’s possible you may have voltage issue if trying to use 32GB (raise QPI/Vtt voltage to 1.20-1.25 and see if it still only shows two slots)
If voltage change does not help, remove CPU and show me some images of your socket from side angle views, off to the side, looking down, not straight over the socket. Do this will no flash in a bright room, do not try to zoom in super close to the socket either, that will make bad image.
Please put all images into a max compressed zip - thanks! No need for new topic, merging both of your replies to the other thread now

@Lost_N_BIOS
Hello again!! :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot for your reply and for have merged my post :slight_smile:
Yesterday I have flashed the stock bios from the asrock website (2.90 not the beta) with the programmer, CH341A and everything seems ok now:)
Also the Ram and the overclock value!! :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot again
Stefano