TRIM in RAID0 possible for all Intel chipsets from P965/ICH8R up!

@ all users with an Intel P35 or 4-Series (incl. X58) Chipset system, who have an Intel RAID0 array with SSDs as members and would like to get TRIM support:

Introduction:
All Intel RST RAID ROM versions from v11.x.x.xxxx up are able to let the TRIM command pass through the Intel SATA RAID Controller into the SSDs, which are members of an Intel RAID0 array. Unfortunately Intel has enabled this feature actually only for Intel 7-Series, 8-Series and C600 Series Chipsets.
It was our Forum member CPL0 (aka Dufus), who detected last year within the hex codes of the Intel RAID ROM modules v11.x.x.xxxx the specific section, which is responsable for the TRIM in RAID feature. Furthermore he was able to enable this feature for other Intel Chipsets (5-Series and 6-Series) by a simple change of a few hex code pairs within the TRIM in RAID0 section of the OROM module. In November 2012 he published his phantastic findings at Anandtech Forum (look >here<.
Since that time it is no problem for SSD users with an Intel RAID0 system and an Intel Chipset from 5-Series up to get TRIM support within their RAID0 array by flashing a BIOS, which contains an Intel RAID ROM v11 or higher with enabled TRIM in RAID0 support. Users with a 5-Series or 6-Series Chipset need an especially modified Intel RAID ROM, whereas users with a 7-Series and 8-Series Chipset system can use the original Intel RAID ROM versions, because Intel has already enabled the TRIM in RAID0 feature for them.

Some months later CPL0 (aka Dufus) found out, that it is possible to get TRIM in RAID0 working even with Intel 4-Series Chipset (ICH10R) systems, but the OROM modding procedure has to be quite different from his previous work for 5-/6-Series Chipsets. At least he succeeded with his own ICH10R test system, but for some months he didn’t find users, who made the needed tests with his especially modified Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702 to confirm, that TRIM is really working within the RAID0 after having flashed a BIOS with the modded OROM module.
At least our Forum members sinders and SkOrPn did the necessary tests in October 2013 with their X58 chipset RAID0 system and found out, that CPL0’s especially modded OROM v11.6.0.1702 definitively lets TRIM pass through the Intel ICH10R SATA RAID Controller into their RAID0 array. Nevertheless they encountered a bug: The on-board Marvell SATA Controller was unusable in combination with the Intel RAID0 array, which was managed by the modded Intel OROM. You can read their test results and many additional details within >this< thread.

Updated at 02/09/2014:
TRIM in RAID0 now seems to be possible for all Intel chipsets from P35 up!

In January 2014 it was again our Forum member CPL0 (aka Dufus), who detected an absolute new method how to enable the TRIM in RAID0 support for all Intel chipsets from P35 up.
It was our Forum member sinders, who verified as the first, that the Intel RAID ROM module versions v11.2.0.1527, v11.6.0.1702 and v12.7.0.1936, which had been modified according to CPL0’s new method, were working flawlessly with his Intel ICH10R RAID0 system:

1. The TrimCheck Tool showed positive results, that means, that TRIM was definitively active within the ICH10R RAID0 array.
    Meanwhile other Intel RAID0 users with different 4-, 5- and 6-Series chipsets have confirmed, that the “Universally TRIM modded” Intel RAID ROMs from v10.1.0.1008 up to v13.1.0.2030 really activated the TRIM in RAID0 feature.
  2. All previously encountered problems with the on-board Marvell SATA Controller were gone.
You can find his reports >here< and >here<.

Re-updated at 11/18/2014:
TRIM in RAID0 support is possible even for Intel P965/ICH8R chipset!

It was our Forum member lurch228, who found out, that TRIM passed the Intel ICH8R SATA RAID Controller into his RAID0 array after the insertion of a “TRIM modded” actual Intel RAID ROM module (>here< is his report).

Conclusion:
  1. All Intel RAID ROM modules from v10.1.0.1008 up can be modded according to CPL0 's new method.
  2. The “TRIM in RAID0” feature is now available for all Intel Chipsets from P965/ICH8R up.

These are the big advantages of the new TRIM in RAID0 modding procedure:
  1. The modification is very simple (only 1 Byte of the OROM has to be altered).
  2. Each modded Intel RAID ROM version is “universally” usable. This means, that it may support the TRIM in RAID0 feature for all Intel Chipsets from P35 up.
  3. All Intel RAID ROM versions from v10.1.0.1008 up can be modified this way and will let TRIM pass into the RAID0 array.
  4. From now on even users with limited OROM space within their mainboard BIOS are able to get TRIM in RAID0 support.

Download links:
Interested users can find some Intel RAID ROM versions, which are modded the new way to support TRIM in RAID0, within the start post of >this< thread.

Important remarks:
  • Any use of the modified Intel RAID ROMs will be at own risk.
  • TRIM activity within the RAID0 array requires not only an appropriate original or modded Intel RAID ROM, but additionally an Intel RAID driver, which supports this feature as well. Only Intel RST/RST(e) RAID drivers from v11.x.x.xxxx up (except v11.5 series) let the TRIM command pass through the Intel RAID Controller (look >here<).
  • Until now it has only been approved, that the new TRIM in RAID0 modding procedure works with Intel X58/ICH10R and 6-Series Chipset systems. What we still need is the “TRIM appears to be WORKING” confirmation from SSD RAID0 users with an Intel P35 or P55 Chipset mainboard. Please give us your feedback, when you have flashed a BIOS containing one of the “universal” TRIM in RAID0 supporting modded OROMs and done the required TRIM test.
  • Some Intel 4-Series Chipset mainboard BIOSes have only very limited space for PCI ROM modules. Users with such system may not be able to get any >100 KB sized Intel RAID ROM inserted into the BIOS resp. such BIOS properly working after the flashing procedure. The latest <100 KB sized Intel RAID ROM version is v10.1.0.1008 (uncompressed size: 85 KB).
    According to our newest test results (look >here< and >here<) even this old RAID OROM v10.1.0.1008 does support TRIM in RAID0, if it has been modified according to CPL0’s new modding procedure and the user runs any Intel RST/RST(e) RAID driver from v11 up (except v12.5 series).

Good luck for you all!
Fernando

A thought about the 100kb size limit in older bios versions: SoniX offers already compressed modules for integration in UBU (for example Realtek Undi).
If we know how to compress the rom before insertion this may works?

I doubt, that it will work this way, because the affected users usually were able to get the 120 KB size module inserted into the BIOS, but the OROM module didn’t work properly after the flashing process (too much compressed?).

I would like to say although user “sinders” test results show that his Marvel must now be DISABLED in order for his Intel RAID controller to function MY Intel controller on the exact same motherboard must be ENABLED in AHCI mode in order for the Intel RAID controller to function properly. What would cause two identical motherboards with identical BIOS files flashed onto them to have different outcomes is anyone’s guess. What ever the case may be if you are interested in TRIM in RAID0, you must understand that for what ever reason the Marvel controller “maybe” affected.

Thankfully, I do not use that controller so I do not care

I do not really understand, what you would like to say. Or did I missed that?

I do not really understand, what you would like to say. Or did I missed that?

LOL Fernando, I guess you missed it buddy. As I said, his board needs the Marvel controller DISABLED in order to work, and mine needs it ENABLED in order for it to work. People should be aware of this fact before they try this mod.

@ SkOrPn:

Ok, thanks for your reply!

these are great news! i’ve upgraded my laptop to samsung evo 250gb and used its previous ssd (micron c300) for raid with my X58 system. i’ve looked everywhere for a way to enable trim and almost gave up until i’ve found this thread. i have gigabyte ex58-ud4p motherboard with ich10r raid controller. how do i flash the modded orom?

@ ag43:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

The original OROM has to be replaced by the modded one according to my guide. You will find the appropriate guide within >this< Forum section.
After having done the BIOS modification you have to flash the BIOS into the BIOS chip of your mainboard by using a suitable BIOS flash tool (don’t use the option to do it from within the running OS).

Good luck!
Fernando

10 minutes to read the guide. 5 minutes of actual work and:

trim.png

as-ssd.png

thank you very much!

@ ag43:

Thank you very much for your report, which may encourage other X58 chipset RAID0 users to do the same.
I am glad, that you succeeded and now have Trim activity within your ICH10R RAID0 system.

Enjoy your updated system!
Regards
Fernando

thanks. for all ich10r users out there - the mod is really easy, you should try it. now i’m thinking of updating the onboard lan firmware…

Are you saying there is a guide that will show us how to mod any OROM with TRIM?

Are you saying there is a guide that will show us how to mod any OROM with TRIM?

What he certainly meant is the modification of the BIOS and not the modification of the OROM module.

@ SkOrPn:
By the way: You should give up your plan to mod different Intel RAID ROM module versions yourself regarding TRIM support for ICH10R RAID0 systems. There will never be a consistent and generally usable guide about how to do it, because the procedure is very difficult and has to be different with each OROM version.

of course.

I downloaded from Mega as you linked, but when I use 7-Zip to extract the .bin file, I get this:

Arctucas, please use WinRAR to extract the archive.

@ Arctucas:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
All packages, which I am offering for being downloaded, are compressed by using the tool 7-zip. That is why they have the suffix .7z.
Regards
Fernando

That will work too, but the best way to unzip .7z files may be the use of the tool 7-Zip.

That will work too, but the best way to unzip .7z files may be the use of the tool 7-Zip.

As I stated in my post, I did use 7-Zip, which the only software I ever use for extracting compressed files.

However, you see the result…

As I stated in my post, I did use 7-Zip, which the only software I ever use for extracting compressed files.

However, you see the result…

Use WinRar. Do a fresh download first.