Gigabyte Server Boards

Most server boards officially don’t support consumer OS’s (Windows 7,8,10) is that because they have implemented something that prohibits these OS’s from being installed or you can install them it’s just that drivers for these OS’s aren’t supplied by the manufacturer and need to obtained elsewhere?

I’m interested in Gigabyte MX31-BS0

Regards
ZeroCool

@ZeroCool :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
I don’t think, that it is impossible to install any consumer OS onto a Server Mainboard, but the support of some Server specific hardware devices may be a problem.
Why don’t you ask the Gigabyte Technical Support for details?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Most skylake/kabylake server boards don’t appear to support consumer OS’s officially regardless of the manufacturer and some use the aspeedtech IC as the BMC (watchdog).In the gigabyte server board i mentioned the AST2400 is used, i’m wondering whether this is preventing consumer OS installation since it is completely independent of the intel processor.

I haven’t called tech support, I don’t see why they would tell me unofficially that they can be installed especially if the board has been configured to prevent it.

Regards
ZeroCool

To be honest I cannot imagine, that the BIOS of any offered modern Server Mainboard may block the installation of a Windows Operating System like Win7 or Win10.
For me the only really relevant point is the detection of the target storage disk drive, but it should not be a big problem to find a storage driver, which supports the HardwareIDs of the related on-board “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller” or “Storage Controller”.

If they do block the installation it would not be in the bios, it would be in the 23MB firmware of the AST2400. In the skylake/kabylake server boards i’ve looked at from gigabyte and supermicro only one from each of those manufacturers officially supports windows 7,8,10.The gigabyte MW31-SP0, C236, no astech IC and the supermicro X11SSL-F C232, AST2400. I can’t seem to find any discussions on google of people trying to install consumer OS’s on server boards that are not officially supported and contain the ASTXXXX IC.

I have no doubt that drivers for unofficially supported OS’s can be found, but if the OS cannot be installed this is the least of the problem.

Regards
ZeroCool

This does not mean, that such consumer Operating Systems are not installable and usable.

Why would a board manufacturer not list an OS in which they know would work and for which drivers are available only to limit the sales of the board? Especially when now server boards are in interest to gamers

I’ve also looked at the orom’s of both boards MX31-BS0 & X11SSL-F of the same chipset C232

v4.5.0.1012
v4.6.0.1018

Both oroms are DEV_2826 and are identical to the ones that are available on this forum except they are listed under (only for Intel X79/X99/X299 Chipsets running in RSTe mode)?

Regards
ZeroCool

Because the mainboard manufacturer is obligated to offer on-board device drivers for all Operating Systems, which are officially supported. This may be a big problem, because the mainboard manufacturers do not develop any driver by themselves.

Because the mainboard manufacturer is obligated to offer on-board device drivers for all Operating Systems, which are officially supported. This may be a big problem, because the mainboard manufacturers do not develop any driver by themselves.

Not if the manufacturer has already provided drivers for a board that officially uses the OS in which those same devices are implemented on a board in which it does not, there’s nothing new to create. ie NIC

Regards
Zerocool