crash easily while running linux or android X86

Hi,guys.
I have a Mini PC with cpu i5250u and a no brand motherboard which is signed “GBDW1.VERB.B”.
And I also have read these two threads.about the ME region about PC shutdown

But it’s not helpful for me.
The issue I met is when running linux or android x86,the operate system would be stucked easily.After that I can’t operate it in any ways with the mouse and the keyboard.The screen would bink frequently and the system would reboot to the login screen after a while.
I have try a lot of linux distrubutions.The issue keeps happening.
So it looks like that there is something wrong with this Mini PC’s BIOS.
I have upgraded the VBIOS version and others what it can be updated by UBU tool.But it dosen’t work.

The problems of BIOS about this Mini PC that I have known:
1.the ME region shows N/A.
2.can’t open DOSBox but show “High Memory Area (HMA) is not available” while my another laptop with cpu i540M can do it perfectly.

It seems that the the setting of graphic or memory cause this issue.And the Mini PC’s has too many setttings that I really don’t know what they are related about.
So what I want to know are these:
1.Are there any settings of BIOS would cause the exactlly or similar issue?
2.If not,how can I get the similar BIOS from other brand manufacturers?

thanks

This is not a ME related issue so I moved the thread to the general BIOS section. These look like bad BIOS problems instead. Personally I don’t have something more to add other than what’s already discussed in the linked threads.

Sounds like it could be memory errors causing the freezing, due to wrong settings or voltages in BIOS, or faulty memory. Can you adjust anything like that in the BIOS
Have you tested the memory by itself with [url=http://www.memtest.org/]memtest86+[url]

Have you updated the BIOS? If yes, can you provide a link to the latest BIOS? On the ME issue, not all boards/BIOS enable ME, so it could be that. We’ll know more once we can look at a copy of the BIOS

Thanks for your respond.
I have test my memories by memtest86+.There are no errors.

Here is the last BIOS.
i5250u

Thanks for the BIOS It could be buggy or poorly written BIOS, which I wont be able to help any with something like that. Only thing you can do in those cases is try older BIOS until you find one that works better, or wait for newer BIOS.
I see now, there is ME version 10.0.36.1030 in the BIOS, so there should be ME. If you see ME N/A in the BIOS, that means the ME is corrupted I think, and you’ll have to try to reflash it with Intel FPT (Me region only), first page you linked in post #1 about ME should help you get that reflashed.
There is ME settings in the BIOS that can be enabled for user adjust from BIOS, if they are currently hidden and not visible to you when in BIOS - PCH FW Config section in advanced and FW Update config sub-menu w/ ME update re-flash enable, and below that is AMT Section w/ few more too

Default tFAW memory setting could be set low by auto (10), if using 4GB modules, please set this manually per your modules XMP profile for the speed you’re using or try 28 or above. tWCL set to 7 might help too

I cannot find anything regarding High Memory Area (HMA), could this possibly be named something differently in a hidden BIOS setting? If yes, give me some other possible names and I will see if I can find and enable for you.
AMIBCP 5.02.0023 and AMIBCP 4.55.0070 both can open and edit this BIOS, that is what I was looking with in case you want to look around and see if you can find settings regarding this

It could also be operating system or driver issues, but since you tested a few clean installs it may not be operating system, but still could be driver problems. It could be graphics drivers, or faulty graphic chip, since memory is testing out OK

How long did you let memory test run? At least 4-8 hours would be better, at least better than only an hour or so. I personally run overnight and all day while at work etc, so it gets 12-18+ hours in testing

I also see, in this thread, discussion of ram settings and lowering ram CAS to resolve BSOD issues, so maybe this board/chipset is not good at running low/tight memory timings. Have you tried looser memory timings manually
New PC Shutdown after EXCACT 30 minutes(even in BIOS) - Bios update? (2)

And I see here, in comments, discussion of freezing related to webcams and graphics drivers. Also manufacturer asked someone to test for 1+ hour with wifi card removed to see if freeze still happens, so may be wifi card compatibility issue or wifi driver too.
https://www.ixbt.com/live/preview/mini-k…ovarischey.html

Sorry for late response.

I had tried removed the wifi card,but it didn’t work.
So did the ME region.

And the “High memory Area” should not be any configures of BIOS about memory,but the settings of memory cause this issue.
It happened when I want to open MAXDOS tool box.

HMA.jpg

In the BIOS,XMP profile is not supported,but there is a custom profile.Can you give me some detailed sugguests?

memory_setting.jpg

Addtionally,I just want to try the BIOS of other brand manufacters who had made the similar motherboard.Can I get them by the motherboard ID?If not,what should I do?

bios1.PNG

And again,thanks so much for your seleless help.

No hurry reply, it’s OK :slight_smile:

So you got the ME region updated? If yes, does it show up properly where you’d expect in BIOS?

Thanks for the info on HMA, and the image. That to me looks like the driver, or whatever also brings up that screen image, does not support this chipset (ie needs updated somehow).
It could be the MAXDOS needs updated, if that is what is saying “Doesn’t support chipset” and you’d have to ask the creator of that. It may just need configured differently, or some plugin, only maker could answer that one
Did you try other DOS, like WIn98Se?

XMP - is supported by the BIOS, up to two profiles, but will only show up if your memory is programmed for XMP. Do you see XMP for your memory in CPU-z SPD Tab, or only SPD profiles? SPD Profiles don’t show as choice in BIOS like XMP.
Can you link your memory, or give the model number and tell me size 2x4GB 2x8GB etc? Or post image of SPD from AIDA64, like below, be sure to move top of the column section over so you can read all text for the memory

XMP.png

For now, try setting tFAW to 28 and see if that helps, tRRD 7 will loosen up things too make more stable (Lower performance a little, but you wont notice)

I don’t know if you can flash other brands BIOS in there, without risking bricking the motherboard. If you have BIOS recovery tools, USB flash programmer, or know how to hot flash in another board, then maybe less risky.
BIOS ID Tag is GBDW1108 - maybe that could help you find other BIOS to try? You could also try searching around by the motherboard ID number shown in your AIDA64 image, all numbers before “chipset” search like that (example 63-0100-000001-00101111-041312-Chipset << Leave off chipset)

I see microcode is up to date, that is good, but I also see lots of errors for microcode (Saying AMD Code there dated 2021, could be program error)? And only one microcode shows, wrong CPUID for your CPU (Showing 306C3, your CPU is 306D4)

Microcodeerror.png

I think it’s just program error, I extracted CPU Microcode by GUID 17088572-377F-44EF-8F4E-B09FFF46A070 and it’s only one microcode as shown above the errors. Probably app is not ready for mobile, and this random non-traditional custom built BIOS.
But, it still is not the correct microcode for your CPU, not sure how the board even is booting without correct microcode. Can you post image of AIDA64 motherboard > CPUID section top of CPUID section, so I can see what microcode is being used by the board
I can add in correct CPUID microcode for your CPU, you meant you have i5-5250U CPU correct? If yes, that is CPUID 306D4 > http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/In…0processor.html
Here is correct CPU microcode for i5-5250U, if you wanted to insert yourself - https://github.com/platomav/CPUMicrocode…RD_CC79BBDA.bin

That could solve all the problems! If you want me to insert microcode let me know and I’ll post mod BIOS with updated code for you

The MCE warnings are not due to some error but expected behavior. Some false-positive AMD microcodes were detected so MCE skipped them. You can ignore them.

Had tried setting tFAW to 28 and tRRD to 7.It’s useless.
And you are right.Maybe both the memories themseves and configures about memory in the BIOS are OK.There is the error just because the program doesn’t work when it can’t reconize the chipset.It can run well in the Mini DOS Mode.

In the BIOS,the XMP profile option just shows “not supported”.There are two sticks of 4GB memory in the Mini PC now.And here are the info what you want.

mem_aida.PNG

mem_cpuz.PNG

About the ME region,I had tried updating it or changed the configures,but neither of them worked.In the thread I linked,the guy had tried a lot more,but still can’t let it work.So I think it is hopeless and give it up.

And I will be glad to have a try if you can supply the BIOS with the corrected microcode since I just know how to update it by UBU tool.

Trying the other brand BIOS would be the last choice.And I have be ready for the risk.

Those memory changes I suggested for stability issues, not DOS problem, for clarity

It very well could be DOS program itself for the HMA issue, I’ve had a few times where certain builds of Win98SE didn’t work on some board, while fine on others.
Sometimes you have to find updated versions of the same app, or ones someone modified with more or better includes dll’s or other systems files that go with, like Win98SE sometimes has lots of files included, other times only a few.
Try to find same but different build of that app and maybe you’ll find one that works better. If not, you may need to try better DOS program if you can. I can upload the DOS I use if you want to try it, may or may not work depending on what you need to do in DOS.
And sometimes board/BIOS prevent some things in DOS no matter what program you use, while same attempt to use/do works fine on another similar board/BIOS.
DOS can be very picky sometimes, depending on what you’re trying to do.

Thanks for the additional images, no XMP there only JEDEC SPD’s, that’s why BIOS doesn’t show you XMP available.
Settings look OK, what we tried vs what auto and SPD are setting, so it’s not that causing the instabilities.
Where is link to “Other thread” you posted, where someone else already tried to help you with Intel ME for this BIOS already?

I can insert microcode easy, but I would leave the old one in there too, for safety in case BIOS somehow made to only use wrong microcode by the OEM who made that system
Then you can check in AIDA64, if wrong code still being used then we can’t fix without huge risk of trying with that removed to see what happens (Not suggested unless you have CH341A flash programmer)
Can you please post image of AIDA64 motherboard > CPUID section > top of CPUID section, so I can see what microcode is being used by the board

So sorry!I forgot to post the image of AIDA64 about the cpuID.Now here it is.

cpu_aida.PNG

And about the ME region,not me but someone others who had the same Mini PC and the same problems of ME region showing “N/A”.
Here is the thread which I had linked #1.about ME region

Thanks for the image, that confirms it’s using correct CPUID version and microcode, but it can be updated. I’ll have to dig around more on this later and see why I don’t see that microcode in BIOS on quick glance microcode check apps like in UBU/MCE (maybe due to the false AMD erros)
I’ll probably find via hex and see it’s added slightly wrong or wrong size etc. No luck so far though, main problem is I can’t find that exact microcode to download (306D4 - 1F)

I’ll look at the ME thread, thanks! This BIOS is combination Intel Insyde and AMI, so mod may be very difficult, maybe why they had ME issues too. If you can find that 1F 306D4 microcode please post here, thanks!
Maybe this is the issue reply at #16 - intel X79 unknown chinese motherboard ME question (2) or this reply at 33, last paragraph - Chinese fanless PC ME region corrupt (3)

You never did answer about how long you ran memory test? Please run for 8-10 hours or more if you can, while you sleep/work if possible, that way you know for sure no memory problems. Sometimes it takes a few hours before they start showing up.
Also, are you sure when it’s freezing up on you, that it’s not overheating?

Can you recover from bad BIOS flash? I mean, do you have CH341A flash programmer, and either cable jumper or soldering skills, and are familiar with doing all that?
I ask because if you can recover I’d like to upload a BIOS for you to test, with updated 306D4 microcode, but only if you can recover, since I can only insert that the normal way, and cannot find the old one to remove, not sure if it will work or corrupt the BIOS etc.
So I don’t want to post it unless you can recover. If you can, and test, I’d like to see AIDA64 CPUID image same as before so we can see if the new code gets used or not.

Here is the original BIOS which I downloaded from the other threads.Maybe it will be helpful for you.
original BIOS

I ran the memory test for about 2 hours,and shut it down after my two sticks of memories had been passed the test and there were no errors.
So I will have to take a longer time test next time.
I am sure that the freezing is not due to the overheating.

It is not hard to get a CH341A flash programmer,and I had a backup of the BIOS,too.But it seems that the BIOS is soldered in the motherboard.That is a little trouble for me to take it off and place it back after flashing since I don’t have too many experiences of soldering.Any way,I will have to run this risk if there are no other choices.

Besides,I forgot to tell you that there is another error which shows “pdr region does not exist;gbe region does not exist”,when I use “fpt -f XXX.bin” to flash the BIOS.

Thanks for your thoughts about the overheating, and good you think it’s not that so we can rule it out. Longer memory test will help rule that out too, so when you have time when not using, start testing and go to sleep or work etc.
Thanks for the BIOS link too, but it would be the same as what I have now, I need to find that microcode 306D4 - 1F somehow!

There is “jumper cables” SPI adapter cables etc that go from the programmers to the BIOS chip soldered on boards, but that does cost more and does not always work in every instance.
Removing a chip without having done so before with solder gun usually you will at minimum damage the flash rom (bent or broken legs).
But that’s not so bad spare flash roms are cheap, but the pads on the board or traces lifting on the motherboard can easily be done if you are not familiar with soldering and that would effectively trash the motherboard.
So that would be a last resort since you are not familiar with soldering like that.

Those errors can be normal, for PDR and gBE, not all BIOS have these. If bad sign for updating BIOS, they would be followed by Error 25: The host CPU does not have write access to the target flash area or Error 28: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access.
Did you get that too, or just “do not exist”? Can you run individual dumps, like this “fpt -me -d me.bin” for Engine region, “fpt -desc -d desc.bin” for FD region? Can you run those two, and this one "fpt -d spi.bin, and upload a copy of all three output files

The files what you need:BIOS files

Yes, it just showed " doesn’t exist" and no error 25 or 28.

It shows "microcode revision : not loaded"in the BIOS.Is it regular while it can be showed correctly in windows 10?

BIOS_01.jpg

BIOS_02.jpg

Thanks for the BIOS an images. I am not expert in ME, so I am not sure about your last question, on how that could be possible. I think @Fernando would be able to better answer that when he has a little time to spare, he is ME expert! Thanks Fernando

Wait a sec, that was Microcode not ME in BIOS image, sorry I missed what you said there still sleeping Well maybe Fernando can still offer some advice on the ME error shown below, is it OK or possibly cause of the ME N/A issue

I was wondering if maybe AIDA64 was maybe giving that based only on CPU detection alone, but still not sure how this is happening, it shows F which is close to 1F too.
I don’t know, can’t find reference of that microcode anywhere on Google either, so maybe BIOS and AIDA64 both give F/1F only based on CPU detection not actually microcode detection.
Maybe it has to be in there somewhere? Surely if only incorrect CPUID microcode is there, and not one for your CPU, it wouldn’t load/POST at all? I will keep looking around and hopefully find this 1F code

FD is all unlocked, so you can write ME to flash rom, that is good. Always check FD is all unlocked every time with UEFITool before you flash or program any BIOS to the chip, if you see lock on something don’t flash until you can change it to unlocked first, that way it stays unlocked on your board.
If you need me to show you how to always check BIOS before flashing, for this lock/unlock let me know and I will show you image and link tool.

I checked the ME you uploaded, thanks. I see a warning, but I’m not sure if that is common, or OK, or if maybe causing this ME problem?

METooLarge.png

I will try making you a clean new ME tonight and see if I get same error from that version software that made it and same version ME.
Can you load ME drivers in windows, or do you get error no matter what when trying to install? Version shown below in this error image, so you can see what version drivers to try

Thank you for your premature praise, but it is @plutomaniac , which is our Intel ME Guru (and not me).

Ahh! Sorry for the wrong praise Fernando
I always see you posting tips and info, but maybe now that you mention it your expertise is Intel RAID drivers of course. Duh, name of site, I should have remembered correctly due to that alone!

Well, I did a clean new ME, and get exact same error still. I did not use exact same version ME due to none in repository were exact match, and not same FITC tool version either, so didn’t expect to see same error.

I used newer version (next version up), but after mod I see it is older build date, that doesn’t seem usual for Intel? Maybe @plutomaniac will be able to comment about this version/date and size/padding warning when he has a second.
The files look OK and obviously it runs like that because you’re using the SPI Dump I first noticed this with so it’s OK as far as booting the board, but maybe this is why or part of why ME is not working too?
I do see a lot of padding at the end of the file, but same padding in output ME directly from FITC too (If leaving generate intermediate files left checked, I redid to verify that would happen or not)
So seems normal probably, it looks to be around 500kb FF padding increasing file size to match 2,044kb from original 1,524kb

Could be maybe the error is due to how UEFITool extracts the ME region, I compared both dump SPI and new build SPI (No error in MEA)

MECompareFullSPIs.png

But when extracting ME from both to verify w/ UEIFTool, same file size/padding error

SameErrorw-CleanNewME.png

Here is new BIOS, built from the last full SPI dump you sent, with now updated version cleaned ME
http://www.filedropper.com/newmebiostest

Close any open windows or programs, be ready for reboot. Open command prompt at the unzipped folders location, if you are unsure how do shift + right click on the folder itself, or anywhere blank area inside the folder, then choose “Open Command Window Here”
Then flash with included FPT from the command prompt with these two commands as follows:
1. fptw -savemac -rewrite -f NewMEBIOS.bin
2. fptw -greset (Run this after above step completes, before closing the prompt window)

Let the system flash and then it should shut down and reboot after command #2, if for some reason it does not shut down after flash completes go ahead and manually shut down once you are certain the flashing is complete.
Then unplug power supply from the wall and wait one minute. Plug it back in and start the system again and go into BIOS and load optimal defaults, then any other changes you need like RAID or AHCI etc and then reboot back to BIOS.
Once in BIOS check ME version, then to windows and run MEInfoWin (included too) from another command prompt and see what it says (Post image here) Intel ME v10 drivers will have to be installed if not already

Thanks so much.

I will have a try once I am free.But I will have to stay in the hospital for 2-3 days.So it would take some time.
Sorry for that.