[REQUEST] Unlock options and Remove Dell SupportAssist detection from Dell XPS 8930 bios

hi everybody

the problem here is: from a Dell XPS 8930 i take the motherboard and install it in a standard ATX Case, the BIOS have a component detection and i don’t have the front IO and every time i turn on or reset the computer appears this error:

f16t6077p104739n2_kqVrZSwh.jpg

Will there be any way to remove that error? if there is any way can you share it?

And i want to unlock more options in the bios (XMP, disable integrated graphics, etc)

in the attachment is the last bios for the board/pc (the old post was removed)

thanks

xps8930_1.1.10.zip (4.98 MB)

Any?

@x-geo - Please do the following, and also let me know what ME FW version you have once you check.

Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64
Then on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C.2” download the matching ME System Tools Package
(ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder.
Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin
If you do get error, show me image of the command entered and the error given
^^ This is important step, don’t forget ^^

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

Or here is simply registry edit that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu
Double-click to install, reboot after install may be required
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…134606820377175

ram cpu … overclock intel extreme tuning utility: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloa…-?product=66427

@Lost_N_BIOS thanks for your answer

1: The Intel ME Version is: 11.8, Build 3626, Hot Fix 70
2: i attached the file to this post :smiley:
3: the result of the command was this:

Intel CSME System Tools v11 r29\Flash Programming Tool\WIN32>FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin

Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool. Version: 11.8.70.3626
Copyright (c) 2007 - 2019, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid

--- Flash Devices Found ---
GD25B128C ID:0xC84018 Size: 16384KB (131072Kb)

GbE Region does not exist.

- Reading Flash [0x1000000] 8192KB of 8192KB - 100 percent complete.
- Verifying Flash [0x1000000] 8192KB of 8192KB - 100 percent complete.
RESULT: The data is identical.

FPT Operation Successful.

thanks for your help and to get the open command windows here reg file, this reg file is the only one who works fine

biosreg.zip (3.66 MB)

@x-geo - thanks for the info and dump! So, since you get no error, easy for you, we don’t have to do anything special to flash back mod BIOS
Let me see if I can disable that for you

Yes, I prefer the reg file method too, makes it all much easier and quicker to get it done and usable!

* Edit - what exactly are you missing from the front I/O? USB, or what? Why do you not have something connected to all this in your new case?
I checked BIOS, and only thing I see for support assistant is about OS recovery which is disabled. I do see an option to disable front panel USB if this is what’s causing the issue.

Aside from that, I’d have to get in assembly and try to make it bypass your exact error shown above, which is possible, IF I can find it.

* Edit - Please run the following, from the MEINFO folder in ME System Tools package, show me IMAGE not text, of the end of the report >> MEINFOWIN.exe -verbose

* Edit 2, I’ve found and bypassed the error, but we need to know above result first, in case Boot Guard is enabled at PCH/FPF, if so you cannot make this edit and will have to connect something to those pins

hi, thanks again for your help

1: i dont have the total aasembly of the front I/O, i only saved the motherboard, the front io have 3 usb 3.0 type A, 1 usb type C, card reader, audio ports (mic and headphone) and power button with a light

2: this is the report of MEINFOWIN.exe

3: in the board there are 2 points of detection, 1 is in the power button assembly (shorting pin 5 and 9 bypass that detection) and the another is in the Front USB 1 (F_SSUSB1) (i dont have the pinout for detection) looks like a normal usb 3.0 header, but when i connect the case usb 3.0 the ports don’t work and the error appears and i have to change it to Front USB 2 (F_SSUSB2), if this helps, i put the link of Service Manual

hope this helps… if you need more info, you can ask it… thanks again

Looking at the error message again, it seems to be “power cable”, maybe that is generic for all or some other connection, I assume you have a power cable connected to the power on switch pins and reset pins, correct?
Are you saying at #3, when you short mentioned pins, the error is gone? Hope so!

Due to your MEINFO report, we cannot modify the region of the BIOS where I would bypass the error, due to Boot Guard is enabled with key burned into the PCH FPF Fuses (measured + verified boot, at left/FPF side of bottom report)
This means any edit at covered areas of the BIOS = immediate shut down/brick. The only way to bypass that is replacing the PCH (chipset) with a clean one, without a key burned into the PCH. So FAR from ideal

Solution other than BIOS edit will have to be figured out here At least a solution other than the BIOS edit I bypass the error with.
If there is a setting in BIOS to disable, we can change that at NVRAM area of BIOS, which is OK to edit, but I didn’t see such setting in BIOS when I looked earlier. I will look again tonight

I have Alienware m15. Do you think it’s possible that the bios is locked too?

I have a post in msg.php?board=602300&Pedit=1&forum=54&Thread=7505&msg=126333&prev=0&next=6738