Intel ME - NA ( missing ) I7-5930k x99 Msi godlike gaming carbon

The Intel ME on this board vanished about 3 months after owning it. In bios where it usually reads IME version it just reads : NA . I have tried every bios MSI released with no luck. My field is in networking so while I know my way around a bios I would not know where to start on modding or repairing one. If someone could point me in the right direction I would be forever grateful.
Thanks!

@drolic - Do you have flash programmer like CH341A? If not, you may need to purchase set CH341A + SOIC8 test clip with cable
Or, you can do pinmod to unlock FD, see section E.1 here - [Guide] Unlock Intel Flash Descriptor Read/Write Access Permissions for SPI Servicing
If that ^^ is something you think you can do, let me know and I will tell you what to do after you do that so you can unlock FD
If you do that without hearing back from me yet, do not reboot, otherwise you’ll have to do it again

For now, please do the following, so we can confirm the above is your only options

Go to this thread and in the section “C.2” download the V9.1 ME System Tools Package
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder (NOT x64).
Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file >> FPTw.exe -desc -d fd.bin

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

Or here is simply registry edit that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu
Double-click to install, reboot after install may be required
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…134606820377175 << I suggest this, it’s quick and easy way, reboot before enabled may be required

Here is the dump. Thank you for your time!
Tim

fd.rar (263 Bytes)

@drolic - so this is from pinmod then dumped correct? If yes, and you have not rebooted yet, write it back in via >> FPTw.exe -desc -f fd.bin
This is unlocked FD (all regions). If you did pinmod and have since rebooted, do pinmod again and write in that attached FD as noted above

If this is just dumped, without pinmod in place, you’re good to go and we can fix the ME FW without pinmod or programmer etc.
Please confirm by doing this >> FPTw.exe -d SPI.bin
Followed by >> FPTw.exe -f SPI.bin

Send me the above SPI.bin IF the write command goes in without error
You can ignore PDR or GbE Errors, only red error (Size or other) or some error # such as 280/368 that stops you from “Success” message will be an issue

And here, in case there is error with above due to BIOS lock internally in the BIOS region, which we don’t care about, lets dump ME FW only and fix it
FPTw.exe -me -d me.bin << Send me that file

This is just dumped , no pinmod. Ok , it had no errors except the yellow pdr and gde you said to ignore. Here is the spi.bin as per instructions https://ufile.io/t3h20ubd
And the me.bin https://ufile.io/230ackb7

-------------------------

I would be amazed if it can be simply fixed without pinmod or a prog. It would be exciting if it also brought back my on board audio and a few other things :slight_smile:

@drolic - Yes, if no pinmod before you sent me that fd.bin file then FD is unlocked all regions read/write = yes!
SPI = entire BIOS, so I don’t need ME FW by itself, but I will send it back to you like that for safety reasons

Here, fixed clean updated ME FW, flash back like this >> FPTw.exe -me -f mefix.bin
Followed by >> FPTw.exe -greset

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…373121262390764

After ^^ -greset CMD be ready for auto-reboot, so close/save everything you need to save first
If system does not auto reboot, shut down, remove 24/8pin PSU cables from board, or disconnect PSU from wall, pop out CMOS battery.
Then press and hold case power on button for 10-15 seconds, or short power on pins, then let system sit for 1+ Full minute with all power drained from board
Once wait is over, put CMOS battery back, connect cables, boot to BIOS and load optimal defaults, save and reboot back to BIOS to make all other changes you need. Then check ME FW, should be fixed

All this worked with no errors but still in same position. Bios still shows ME version - NA and still no ME in device manager ect. When trying to install the fw update for chipset and me from msi site I still get the platform not supported error : ( .

@drolic - Then there is some issue with your BIOS region, or this BIOS version itself. Or, it’s possible that something in your broken ME carried over into the fixed ME.
Lets see if plutomaniac can see any issue if he’s around and has time, if not, we’ll have to try other BIOS versions and see if it’s a BIOS issue. Yes, chipset and or ME drivers wont install until this is fixed, don’t waste time trying driver stuff it wont fix this.

Wait, also try same as I said above, but use this command instead >> FPTw.exe -me -rewrite -f mefix.bin
Followed by >> FPTw.exe -greset

plutomaniac - can you see any issue with ME FW in SPI at post #5? I used that as source and cleaned ME FW via guide (it’s already latest version) for ME FW file in post #6 extracted from the outimage

If the cleanup guide does not help, the problem should be at the BIOS region, not ME.

How do I go about repairing the bios region? Or is that the point at which I just keep it as is until I get a new system?

plutomaniac Thanks, I assumed that was the case here!

@drolic - first, I would try the commands I gave above (at post #8, do both) for a second ME FW write, to confirm for sure the ME FW isn’t to blame here.
Then once we confirm it’s same, best option first is to try flashing down to one BIOS before this one and see if issue remains, then if so, flash back again to latest BIOS and then I’ll have you dump it via FPT and send to me and I will compare and see if all looks good (ie close match to stock contents)

I know, on some boards, issues like this were only fixed with flash programmers, for some unknown reason (ie we write same ME FW and same BIOS with programmer instead of flash tools and then it magically works)

No, we can fix, it’s just how much hassle you want to go through in order to sort it out or not. Do you have a flash programmer already, like CH341A?

Ok I went through all the commands again with the same results :frowning: . I flashed down a bios and the issue remains. I will flash back again and get the dump for you here soon. I swear some time ago on some msi board there was a member who was talking about similar problem and how he fixed using some tool that flashed the me separate right after the bios flash was complete . Of course I can’t find that post now . I have plenty of time ( everything is shut down anyhow due to quarantine) and am willing to go through whatever I am capable of to attempt to fix it. I have no flash programmer on hand but can surely order one. Is the CH341A the one I want? Again thanks so much for your time ! Great forums with some very wise members for sure.

Probably same tool we are using here, FPT (or FTK, which use FPT). So you used the -rewrite flag too, and still same? If yes, and you did -greset after too, then issue lies at BIOS region not ME FW

Yes, you need CH341A or other programmer like that, if you want to spend more there is more expensive programmers.
Then you also need one of the following, depending on how your BIOS is installed to the board
If BIOS is in socket, you need >> U Type Flat IC Extractor
If BIOS is soldered to board you need >> SOIC8 test clip with cable

You’re welcome! Let me know if you need linked examples to anything mentioned above