A Weird thing happens on my P8Z77V-LK BIOS modding

I encountered a weird thing which is a SATA error (code 10).

I followed the mod instructions step by step. After flashing the moded bios, NVME works, but I found if I set SATA to AHCI, there will be an error. If I connect a SATA HDD/SDD, the error prompt is gone. If I set SATA to IDE or RAID, there is no error in device list.

1.jpg

1-1.jpg

IDE.jpg

raid.jpg

Would anyone please check my moded bios to see what’s wrong?

P8Z77-V-LK-ASUS-1402-nvme-winraid.zip (4.25 MB)

@once375ml - Here, try this one. Use mirror, tinyupload is down right now -
Post #2 - [Request] P8Z77-V LK NVME BIOS(1402)

Does NVME work properly though, while AHCI is enabled in BIOS? Any change if you disable "Smart Check"
Seems it may be fine to ignore, if NVME works, and error is gone if you connect SSD/HDD. That is how I would see this

I checked your file, and see only the following issue
1. Capsule is unsigned (ie broken capsule, will not flashback) - Unsure if this causes any issues when flashing in other ways.
Yes, I know this board does not have USB Flashback, but still BIOS should be made in proper way where that does not happen.

Other than that, your file is identical to the mod BIOS I made myself just now and back in 2018 (linked above)
So this is proper BIOS mod other than the issue mentioned above.

I see this error is often caused by old or corrupted drivers. What drivers do you have installed directly (other than windows defaults I mean)?
If you are not using RAID, uninstall the RAID driver and see if the issue goes away
Install latest INF package and see if that helps, these are not drivers, but may help possibly.

Also, I see program called “Alcohol” can cause this too, if you are using this, uninstall and reboot, to see if issue remains

Similar issue here, clean install may have fixed it, not sure, user stopped replying after that
SATA 850evo Absent in Bios X79

Also @Fernando ran into this issue, and discussed it, while testing old NVME v3 mod module, in post #2141-2142 here, maybe he can comment about this more now after V4 module we all use has been around for a while now.
[Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS (143)

Please see my replies to your questions. Sorry for removing all the links you mentioned, due to forum regulation.

I have also checked some manuals for Asus motherboards with native M.2 slots. Some of them will disable SATA(s) when you enable MVNE. Some of them will disable PCIE slot(s) when you enable NVME.

I doubt if the new NVME module conflicts with onboard SATA. But if so, the SATA will not work anymore. The truth is it still works when you attach one.

@once375ml - Very weird, lots of sites having issue this weekend, sendspace down too.
New mirror added again, watch out for ads on that site, use gray “Download this file” button in middle of page

NVME will never be seen in NVME mod BIOS, only PATA or Windows boot manager (in the boot area, not where you have shown in BIOS image above)
Good to hear NVME works well no matter what. I would leave set AHCI or RAID, don’t use IDE.

Since you are using programmer that removes the capsule, then your mod BIOS and mine = same/same (100% hex match)

There is no “intel AHCI driver” only standard windows/Microsoft one, if you remove RAID drivers

Yes, on some boards with M2 slots, some SATA ports may be disabled when you use M2, this is due to not enough resources on the board, usually only 1-2 slots will be disabled.
Best to use PCIE adapter anyway usually, if it’s an old board like this.

Yes, seems like no conflict or issue, since both SSD/HDD & NVME work when both connected and error is gone.

* Edit - See 2160 - [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS (144)
Try a clean OS install

Although leaving setting to Raid will remove the yellow flag and Raid also supports Trim for non-RAID drives, I am a perfectionist and I really want to know why.

Only setting SATA to AHCI will see the yellow flag(Code 10), neither IDE nor RAID.
--------------------

Ok, a clean os installation again. I will return to report later.

Yes, I know what you mean. Seems clean OS install fixed it for Fernando, so I bet that will help here too

Just tried the small version of NVME module. Make no difference, still got the same code 10.

Update to a PCIE 3.0 CPU, now NVME runs at its maximum speed.

The current os remains too many my preferences. A clean installation will put me in bustle for next days.

It seems a clean install will be my last shot.

Clean install is best

You could try clone, but I assume will give you same issue

Clone SSD to NVME
Installing Clean Win7x64 on M2.2280 PCIe Gen3x4 SSD A-DATA SX8200 Pro << My way
[Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS (330) << Fernando’s way
[Guide] How to migrate Windows 7 64bit boot drive from MBR SATA to UEFI NVMe without data lose << Shawn’s way

Or, if this is Win10, you could try in place upgrade (keeps all files, settings etc)

* Edit - You could also try uninstall the AHCI controller from Device manager, on reboot it would install it and maybe fix?

I’m here to confirm a clean installation makes no difference. I still get the same error.

The previous OS migration was done by clone. No matter if I change the UUID for new NVME disk, I doesn’t affect the presence of the code 10 error.

fresh installation.png

@once375ml - Sorry to see this!! Is that a clean install, with latest Win10 version ISO? Also, during install, was this with NVME only, no HDD/SSD connected?
Maybe worth trying it once more with/without HDD/SSD, for completeness, since you’re already at clean install state?
Did you try my edited comment at post #8?

Maybe Fernando will have some comments or info on this when he stops in to reply?
Maybe he knows something since his last run in with this on V3 module, that I didn’t find about the v4 module.

A clean install with the latest iso, without any hdd/ssd connected.

I also uninstalled/ reinstalled ahci for testing. Doesn’t work.

trick to bypass asus bios mod block from flashing… flash really old one first then try yours… asus implemented a check in newer bios around 2013 or so.
CodeRush could explain better with the MSR unlock mod being the reason i know of this issue.