Windows 7 platform is not obsolete!

Sharing my results. 5950X as a daily driver under Windows 7 wing:
https://trackerninja.codeberg.page/post/…ning-windows-7/

@spacedrone808

did you have any ACPI BSODs?

0%
ACPI is not even modded.
I have couple of BSODs related to crappy STXII drivers, but not system ones.

What drivers do you have on your 6900XT? I just plugged in 6900XT though from Sapphire, and I can’t get it working. We surely will have different GPU BIOS so that’s one thing we won’t be able to compare but other than that the display drivers should not be tightly bound to the manufacturer? I went through DDU cleanup and installed the ones AMD promotes as “legacy drivers for win7” (Adrenalin 21.5.2), driver version is “27.20.20903.8001”.

What puzzles me the most is that device manager recognizes the driver, though the OS acts like it had no gpu driver present (poor performance) and none of the amd software will run (see images).
I’ve also noticed that Display list acts weirdly (“Default monitor on null”).

PS: Thanks for supporting the win8+ resistance movement:))

image_2021-08-19_135332.png

image_2021-08-19_135302.png

image_2021-08-19_135432.png

i have Asrock 6900XT.
Driver is last’n’final version.
Adrenalin 21.5.2 Recommended (WHQL)
File Size
652 MB
Release Date
6/21/2021

Do you mind sharing some output after booting the PC from msinfo32.exe – specifically Components>Display and Software Environment>System Drivers? There’s an option in File>Export… to save it as plaintext.
I’d like to crosscheck these with mine as I can see a few AMD drivers are switched off on my rig and I wonder if that’s relevant…

here you go

display.txt (2.33 KB)

here you go

Thanks, could you also add Software Environment>System Drivers section to it?

"Windows 7 platform is not obsolete!"

Well, according to Microshit and AMD it is. No more drivers for Win7 after May 2021, meanwhile Nvidia still has support until October.

Thank you very much for that article, I myself learnt a lot through this amazing forum and it’s people. I have things planned for Intel and AMD boards.

I still have been waiting for GPU, a 3080 which is the best GPU for my needs to play all the old games on Windows 7. I don’t like new games which are politically motivated just like this Win7 issue. I’m going to ask my friend to lend his 2070 if I cannot get the Ampere card. At this point of time, also waiting for the AMD X570S platform reviews. I came across USB issues on Ryzen 5000 platform on subreddit (“usb” will yield results to those who are wondering) so wanted to wait out a bit as I rely heavily on USAP storage and tons of USB devices. I’m glad that your machine works amazingly. Also there was some update needed for Ryzen 3000 processors on Win10 for the CPU ramp up speed in the UEFI BIOS, enabling that changes a lot of monitoring with HWInfo and other 3rd party tools. I think that is not needed for Zen 3 5000 series because of the better design of CPU by removing the jumps from CCD to CCD.

Anyways cannot go wrong with AMD or Intel for DDR4 platform, even the DMI on Z590(PCIe3.0x8) and CPU to PCH link X570(PCIe4.0x4) is same for the I/O (except that AMD has direct CPU USB ports) These are probably the last kind to support Windows 7 OS, my fear is abandonment of BIOS for full UEFI. Windows 11 already is scaring by saying TPM hardlock, secure boot etc and they already mentioned BIOS was supposed to got EOL by 2020. Plus once the Z690 boards are out, we will get a confirmation. If the CSM option is removed, then it’s really hard (VGA Shim, I doubt it can cut it but USB3.0 drivers might be hard ?)

Rocket Lake is trash, just get Comet Lake or Ryzen 5000 if you want Win7.

Agreed on the "new games are garbage" part btw, identity politics are a cancer that just keeps on spreading unfortunately.

Rocket Lake is trash, just get Comet Lake or Ryzen 5000 if you want Win7.

Agreed on the “new games are garbage” part btw, identity politics are a cancer that just keeps on spreading unfortunately.

Just my 2c on the come lake. Myself I don’t recommend getting 10850K just to spare a few dollars. I got one because because 10900K was simply not available a year ago; thus had very high chance of loosing the the lottery, which I did (I hardly can get the “stock OC” stable).

From technical POV I wish software wasn’t intrusive like it is now (with ads, trackers, telemetry and whatnot). I cringe every time I see the win10 welcome screen which asks you 10 times if you are sure you want an offline user account and then 5 times again if you are sure you want location services disabled because what if you loose your 20kg PC when travelling!!! Back in the days there was no internet with live tracking and companies could still develop software – they just had to do it more carefully as there was no hot patches deployed over the internet.

here you go

Thanks, could you also add Software Environment>System Drivers section to it?

here you go

sysdrv.txt (70 KB)