Rampage V modding bios

Hi All,

As UBU cannot update the bios yet, can anyone advise how to get the 1402 bios updated with the latest Intel EFI modules? (RST & LAN).
I was fine updating my Rampage IV manually using MMTool 4, but version 5 seems more complicated. I replaced one, but when replacing the other Option ROM, the first then showed n/a

Regards,
Jez

To mod the AptioV BIOS like in the Asus Rampage V Extreme Intel X99 (Socket 2011) Motherboard, please use UEFITool rather than MMTool.
https://github.com/LongSoft/UEFITool/releases
The Intel RST(e) RAID OROMs are located in GUID A0327FE0-1FDA-4E5B-905D-B510C45A61D0 as Freeform.
A quick way to get to the correct location of the Intel RST(e) RAID OROMs is to use the search feature of UEFITool and select the GUID option and then paste A0327FE0-1FDA-4E5B-905D-B510C45A61D0 into the GUID box.
Once you’ve done the search, it should mention in the message window that it has found this GUID. Click on the message and it should take you straight to the GUID where the Intel RST(e) RAID OROMs are located.
The two Intel RST(e) RAID OROMs in the BIOS are located in Subtype GUID: E095AFFE-D4CD-4289-9B48-28F64E3D781D and Subtype GUID: 20FEEBDE-E739-420E-AE31-77E2876508C0.
You can also go straight to the Subtype GUID of each Intel RST(e) RAID OROM by using the same search method above.
Use method “Replace body” to insert new Intel RST(e) RAID OROM image into each of the Subtype GUIDs above replacing the current one.
Flash the modded BIOS using USB Flashback only.

By the way, I am not sure how to insert the Intel EFI .ffs modules into the BIOS using UEFITool, so I just insert the .bin images of the Intel RST(e) RAID OROMs instead.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded blank lines removed (to save space)

@ jezj:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

The problem is the actually available AMI Aptio V UEFI MMTool version, which is extremely buggy.
Please follow the advice of sinders and use CodeRush’s UEFITool instead.
As soon as we have gotten access to an updated AMI Aptio V MMTool, it will be possible to modify AMI Aptio V BIOSes either manually or automaticly with SoniX’s UBU tool.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Here is my modded Asus Rampage V Extreme Intel X99 (Socket 2011) Motherboard BIOS 1401 with the latest Intel RST(e) RAID OROM 14.0.0.2234 inserted.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tkm3ebe0ilp8kp…-1401N.rar?dl=0
By the way, there is no BIOS 1402 for the Asus Rampage V Extreme.
I hope your not talking about the ASUS Maximus V Extreme Motherboard which does have a BIOS 1402.

The only disadvantage will be, that the updated RAID ROM version will not be used, when you are running your system in "clean" UEFI mode (CSM Disabled).
According to my knowledge it should be possible to update the Intel EFI RaidDriver by using CodeRush’s UEFITool.

The only disadvantage will be, that the updated RAID ROM version will not be used, when you are running your system in "clean" UEFI mode (CSM Disabled).
According to my knowledge it should be possible to update the Intel EFI RaidDriver by using CodeRush’s UEFITool.

Maybe CodeRush could post how to insert the Intel EFI ffs RaidDriver modules into the Asus Rampage V Extreme Intel X99 BIOS using his UEFITool or if somebody else knows how to do it.

Thanks for the responses, I did mean 1401, was a typo.

I will be using it with CSM disabled so any guidance to get the EFI module inserted as well as the LAN module would be helpful.

Looks like its at 793BA4EB-A6E9-4526-996D-79393F51B443, (from looking at MMTool), I can find it on UEFI tool but not sure where to go from there.

@ jezj
Mod Asus Maximus V Extreme

mod_R5E.rar (6.72 MB)

@ SoniX

Thanks for this, can you advise on how you replaced the EFI modules for future reference?

The UEFI Tool is the desired file.
For OROM (GUID A032…)
Become to the section GUID: Freeform subtype
For EFI (Other GUID)
Become to the section PE32.

Right-click, select "Replace body…"
Save.

It is important.
1) The source file must be clean EFI or OROM, ie not contain any sections.
2) Before replacing, first extract current file, to make sure that this is the file that you want to change.

One thing I don’t understand is why does the Asus Rampage V Extreme contains two Subtype GUIDs that contains identical Intel RST(e) RAID OROMs, Subtype GUID: E095AFFE-D4CD-4289-9B48-28F64E3D781D
and Subtype GUID: 20FEEBDE-E739-420E-AE31-77E2876508C0 and also that other GUID that contains the PE32 EFI OROM which is also an identical version as the others.
Why dose it have 3 identical Intel RST(e) RAID OROMs in total built into the BIOS?

There are two OROMs and one EFI, so it is not 3 identical RAID ROMs. Then there is this case for AptioV.

E095AFFE-D4CD-4289-9B48-28F64E3D781D appears to be linked to a device EVSS, while 20FEEBDE-E739-420E-AE31-77E2876508C0 is linked to SAT1 (SATA1). The third ROM from 15DAA290-F7D3-4CEF-9527-EBFF67A02182 is linked to GLAN, as expected.

So your board looks like this and everything has a purpose:

RampV.png

@lordkag

Thanks, a lot clearer after looking at the s/shot, what do you use to scan the .cap to get the one you attached?

Hi SoniX, how do you manage to get a clean EFI RaidDriver from the shared Intel EFI RaidDriver files here and how do you get one which has
the same GUID (first line of the hex code) as the one, which is within the original BIOS of your mainboard?
It seems you where able to get a EFI RaidDriver 14.0.0.2234 with a GUID that is compatible with the motherboard in question here in this topic.

EDIT by Fernando: Not needed fully quoted text removed (to save space)