[Request] ASUS Maximus V Extreme Z77 BIOS with full AHCI M.2 SSD Support

Hi, I am interested in getting the Samsung SM951 AHCI M.2 SSD. My ASUS MVE has an open PCI-E 3.0 x4 slot. I would love to install the SM951 into that slot using an adapter and then boot Windows from it. That is not possible without a modified BIOS. I was wondering if anyone knows what needs to be changed to allow this, if possible? I have been reading all the guides here about modifying a BIOS and then flashing it (ASUS requires extra steps to flash). I have experience modifying BIOSs in the past, but has been a while. I believe I modified an earlier BIOS for this board.

Any help much appreciated.

Edit by Fernando: Thread moved into the “BIOS Modding Requests” Sub-Forum and thread title customized/shortened

Hi!

Since you are talking about the AHCI version, it should work out of the box.
If you accidentially typed AHCI and meant NVMe, there is a thread >here< (especially the post >here<).

Best regards,
Mr nUUb

I do mean the AHCI version. From what I have read around on PC hardware review sites, the Samsung SM951 will probably not boot Windows when installed in a PCI-E adapter on a Z77 motherboard. I also thought that that would only be true for the NVMe version, but it seems to be true for AHCI version also. I have posted questions asking if the AHCI version would work without modifying the BIOS, but no answers yet. One PC tech review website had even tested the SM951 (AHCI version) using a PCI-E adapter, but they used a Z97 motherboard.

I don’t want to buy the SM951 and try it out and have it not work. The down time to return it and to get something else would be a real pain.

* UPDATE: I talked to someone at RAMCity about the SM951 (AHCI) and they say it’s not possible to boot Windows from it using a PCI-E adapter using a motherboard pre-Z97 (Unless a modified BIOS is used, “inserting the module code” as they stated). I’m willing to experiment, but need guidance.

I have the same mother board Maximus V Extreme Z77
I’m an IT guy and good at stuff like this I would also like to get this working!

anyone know where to get the Bois module to upgrade it?

@MacGyverSG1 - I’m sure you probably sorted this out already
@iresolver - Here, flash via USB Flashback - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…142268634466384

To use NVME after flash, load optimized, apply/exit, boot back to BIOS and make any other changes you want, then install windows onto a clean/RAW NVME
Follow all steps at step #4 in the “This is what you should do” section of this thread - [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@iresolver - Edit - done, see above Do not rename file, flash via USB Flashback

@Lost_N_BIOS you can help with bios for asus maximus v extreme z 77 with xpe spectrix s40g nvme with pciexpress.

I still need to get this working could you make a new link your link is not working

do you have link to lost_N_bios post about how to get this working?

@iresolver

Asus M5E 1903 MOD

iRST/LAN/mcode/NVMe

Asus USB BFB ONLY, NOT EZ updater.

REPORT results for future guidance.

EDIT: @Dog Its UP

@meatwar

Can you please reupload this file? It appears to no longer be valid.

@Dog :

Our Forum Member MeatWar will not be notified about your request, because you haven’t written his nickname correctly.

@MeatWar

Trying to do the notification correctly this time. Thanks

EDIT:
Got it, Thanks!

@MeatWar

Just slapping together a M5E 3770K 1070 build as a first PC for a friend. Is there anyway you can still provide this epic BIOS Mod file?

Please follow the guide here: [HowTo] Get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS
Its an easy task with the correct tools, usually MMTool on there AMI IV core bios and later you can share the mod file here for verification of correct insertion of the NVMe DXE driver.

@TPColgett Try this, extract the file and copy M5E.CAP to your flash drive (must be fat or fat32 format), and flash it via asus bios flashback feature, here’s how:

M5E.rar (4.09 MB)

@all visitors of this thread:
To be able to boot off a Samsung M.2 AHCI SSD like the SM951, the BIOS must contain a specific DXE Driver module named “Samsung_M.2_DXE”.
For details please look into the start post of >this< thread.

is this DXE driver is stackable with your Nvme driver? like if i have the nvme5 dxe driver in the bios, then insert this one, would it work?

Well I am looking forward to this! I am setting up the board on my test bench tonight!

Remember to flash using Asus Bios Flashback only, see on post #15, also the attached file you need is there. good luck.

@Koekieezz

Yes!