AHCI & RAID Option ROM Modules

@ lordpablito:

If I understand your posted picture correctly, the RAID0 array is not bootable (no "Yes" below "Bootable").
This may indicate, that the boot sector has been corrupted.
Have you already tried to boot off the OS installation DVD and to choose the "Repair" option?

JMicron JMB36x RAID ROM v1.07.4
Apparently can be extracted:
http://goodanswer.biz/2015/02/10/asus-p5ā€¦rey-as-a-whole/

I donā€™t know if you find it "interesting" since you already have v1.08 and v1.07.28

@ magatron
Thanks for your info and the link to the JMB36x RAID ROM v1.07.4.

I am always interested in links to AHCI/RAID ROM modules, which are either newer or better than those, which I am already offering.
If you or anyone else would report, that the older v1.07.4 OROM is better than the later released v1.08.01 resp. v1.07.28 ones, I will add it to the start post.

Hi,
Which Raid Rom do you recommend for p55?

It depends on the sort of your RAID array and on your preferences (performance or new features).

I want to build a raid 0 array and have trim command enabled, which version should I use?

If you want the best possible performance, I recommend to insert the TRIM modded Intel RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527.

Hello and thank you for this awesome project!

I recently switched from Gigabyte to ASUS AM3+ Mainboards. For GB, its support kindly gave me a Beta BIOS for my old 890FX board with AMD AHCI ROM 3.1.0.0 and they willingly released a beta one for their 990FX Board, including 3.2.0.0. However, I was not satisfied with their latest 990FX board and so I switched to ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, which was excellent, except for some minor BIOS bugs.
HOWEVER this is the first board I ever saw, that does not display the AHCI Option ROM screen after POST and so I have not a clue which AHCI ROM version itā€™s being shipped with. ASUSā€™ Support was no good.

After suspecting the worst case and looking around, I have found this project and it worked - I think! Is there a tool to read out the AMD AHCI ROM Version, if it is not shown after POST? Just to be sureā€¦

Thanks for any suggestions!

@ WKjun:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Yes this tool is named "UEFI BIOS Updater" (UBU) and can be found >here<.
AFAIK none of the AMI UEFI BIOSes do contain an AMD AHCI ROM module, because such module is not needed anymore for modern AHCI systems. The related SATA Controllers have the reated informations from scratch.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello,

I have laptop Alienware. This laptop has Phoenix bios. I want to mount in this laptop SSD hard disk. In the bios there is no AHCI option. On the laptop motherboard is controller Intel 82801GBM Controller Hub (ICH7M) - this controller in hardware support AHCI mode, link to the manufacturerā€™s website:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/iā€¦-datasheet.html

I would like to in this laptop bios add AHCI Option ROM BIOS compatible with Intel 82801GBM Controller Hub (ICH7M). Question is which AHCI Option ROM BIOS is compatible with Intel 82801GBM Controller Hub (ICH7M):
a) Intel SATA AHCI Option ROM BIOS Ver. iSrc 1.20E
b) Phoenix SATA AHCI Option ROM BIOS Ver. 01.03.50
c) Phoenix SATA AHCI Option ROM BIOS Ver. 01.05.94
d) Phoenix SATA AHCI Option ROM BIOS Ver. 01.06.70
e) some other - which???

Below is attached this AHCI Option ROM BIOS files.

Best regards

Intel_SATA_AHCI_OptionROM_BIOS_Ver_iSrc_1.20E.rar (10.6 KB)

Phoenix_SATA_AHCI_OptionROM_BIOS_Ver_01.03.50.rar (10.3 KB)

Phoenix_SATA_AHCI_OptionROM_BIOS_Ver_01.05.94.rar (9.97 KB)

Phoenix_SATA_AHCI_OptionROM_BIOS_Ver_01.06.70.rar (11.4 KB)

@ Harris:

I would prefer the Intel AHCI ROM module v1.20E, but I am not sure, if you will be able to set the on-board Intel SATA Controller to "AHCI" mode by just inserting an AHCI ROM module.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello, Fernando. I just registered here to ask you something.

I have an MSI PH67A-C43 (B3) with latest UEFI BIOS (v6.2) and a Samsung SSD 850 EVO

My question is: if Iā€™m not doing a RAID 0/1 or any other, do I need the Intel OROM updated? In this case: Intel RAID ROM/EFI BIOS modules: v12.9.0.2006 since Iā€™m using Official v12.9.0.1001 RST drivers from Intel. Or just using said driver will give me good performance?

If so, could you modify my BIOS with said OROM? I have no single idea on how to do it :frowning:

Iā€™d really appreciate any help you can provide.

EDIT: it took me 5 minutes to read the guide.

1) Loaded my original v6.2 BIOS.
2) Got 2 Option ROMs to extract/replace: Realtek and Intel.
3) Extracted both (50 KB for the Realtek and 117 KB for the Intel)
4) Replaced them with the ones provided in your other posts (54 KB for the Realtek and 119 KB for the Intel)
5) Saved the BIOS, same size (8192 KB)
6) Closed the MMTool
7) Loaded newly modified BIOS
8) Extracted both replaced ROMs and they were 54 KB and 119KB, same size as the replaced ones.

Is it safe to update my BIOS now using the M-Flash utility built in MSI Motherboards?

@ Punkster Sanders:

As long as you are running your on-board Intel SATA Controller in AHCI or IDE mode, the Intel RAID ROM version of your BIOS doesnā€™t matter, because the Intel RAID ROM module will not be used by your system.

If I were you, I would install the Intel RST(e) drivers v12.9.4.1000 WHQL.

Yes, provided that you have done it correctly according my guide.
By the way: If you want even more safety, you should use the UBU Tool. Look into the first post of >this< thread.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@ Fernando.

Ok, Iā€™ll download those ones, Iā€™m assuming theyā€™re not on the Intel Download Center according to what I read here somewhere.

Well, yes. Your guide was pretty much straight forward. Load, Extract, Replace, Save, Load (New), Check.

The only thing that worries me is: why the size difference? I mean, the Realtek ROM in the original BIOS was 50 KB but the new one is 54 KB, same with the Intel ROM, 117 KB vs 119 KB. Iā€™m guessing it doesnā€™t matter because the final modded BIOS is 8.192 KB in size which is the exact same size as the original one.

Plus, after the modding I loaded the BIOS just to extract the files I replaced minutes earlier and they indeed were 54 KB and 119 KB respectively, which matches the size of the ROMs I downloaded and replaced in the original BIOS! hehe

Sorry if Iā€™m being neurotic, itā€™s my first time modding a BIOS hehe :slight_smile:

EDIT: flashed the BIOS, Intel ROM is now updated to v12.9.0.2006 but Realtek ROM is still 2.017 (dated all the way back to 2012)

What did I do wrong? It should be dated 2015 instead.

My network adapter is a Realtek 8111C

According to this:

I should change with the Hex Editor the DeviceID but my DeviceID is this:

Technically, I should not have to change the ROM in the Hex Editor but I still have v2.017 (2012) in the BIOS. Weird.

Any insights would be appreciated.

EDIT #2: ohhh, it seems to be that the one dated 2012 is the UEFI UNDI Driver. How do I update that one? hehe :slight_smile:

Final EDIT: done. Here are two screenshots using UBU with both BIOSes.

Thanks for the awesome help! Cheers. Keep it up!

@ Punkster Sanders:
Thanks for your report.
It is fine, that you succeeded at least without any additional help - congratulations!

There is nothing to worry about the differently sized OROM modules. Since the AMI Aptio MMTool compresses all OROM modules according to the available space, the size of the BIOS will not be altered.
If there should ever be not enough space for a bgger sized Option ROM module, you will get a related message from the MMTool ("not enough space"). So your BIOS will not get corrupt by such action.

Enjoy your system with an up-to-date BIOS!

Yay! It was actually super easy. I donā€™t know why I was worried.

Using the UBU Tool was easier than the MMTool because it basically does everything for you. You just select which components you want to update (in my case, everything) and that was it.

I was worried about the flashing but M-Flash had no issues recognizing the BIOS file and once it booted again, everything was updated :smiley:

I do have to reinstall my OS, though. I messed so much with it because of a ā€œmouse stutter / lagā€ and at the end, it turned out to be my CPU and GPU undervolting. A shame that I found out after I messed with the registry, the BIOS and everything. Bah, itā€™ll take me a couple of hours to do so.

So far, SSD performance is GREAT! CDM is reporting 520 MB/s reads and 515 MB/s writes using the Intel SATA III ports and Driver v12.9.4.1000 that you suggested.

Again, thanks for the help and keep it up.

Cheers from Venezuela.

Are there any modified firmware files to allow Raid 0 with trim for the LSI MegaRAID SAS 9341-4i (LSI00419) PCI-Express 3.0 x8 Low Profile SATA / SAS High Performance Four-Port 12Gb/s RAID Controller ?

No, the feature "TRIM in RAID0" is only available for Intel SATA ports.

Hi,

I upgraded the intel rom module to 13.5 and when I tried to install the 13.6 RST drivers it gave a fatal error and aborted. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Edit: Tried again and it worked. Weird.

is it for 7- series or 8-/9- series ?