AHCI & RAID Option ROM Modules

Fernando, thanks for the confirmation. I have already contacted ASUS, let’s see how they respond (I personally do not have that much hope in them). I saw something related to GPT/MBR in the net. Does it mean that if I am booting from another disk, I can format them in windows but still have a RAID 1 through hardware ? Or with my current setup the only option is a software RAID ?

lordkag, thank you very much for the helpful pointers. I may not be a master in assembly, but have a pretty good amount of experience and was planning to dig into the BIOS image and see what I can find. If the real issue is just the loader not being able to load more than 64k image, that should be quite easy to fix. I seem to have quite a bit of reading/learning to do over the coming weekend !

I will get back here if I find anything.

Hi Fernando,
I have a Toshiba A200 laptop with 2x SATA 2.5 bays (yes, it’s rare) and the latest Phoenix BIOS from the Toshiba website http://support.toshiba-tro.de/tedd-files…90121132645.zip
The SATA controller of this laptop is Intel ICH8M AHCI, which doesn’t support RAID, unfortunately (I’ve checked in BIOS, there’s no such thing as RAID there).
I was wondering if it’s possible to update/add a PCI ROM to the BIOS that would somehow enable SATA RAID on this laptop. Would it be possible ?

Also, another question, in case the above RAID is not possible: is it possible to update the current Intel AHCI ROM in this BIOS ? Your first post says:
The function and the compatibility of the “Intel(R) SATA AHCI Controller” obviously is managed by a “normal” (non-OROM) BIOS module, which cannot resp. don’t need to be updated.
Does it mean that the Intel SATA AHCI ROM cannot be updated ? Please give me more details, I’m very interested in understanding how this works. Thank you !

Definitively not.

If there is an Intel AHCI ROM within the BIOS and the version is older than 1.20E, it will be possible.
The question is, if the benefit you may get (nothing more than a reduced boot time) is worth the risk of flashing a modded BIOS into a laptop.

As already written above: The Intel AHCi ROM can only be updated, when such module is present within the BIOS and older than v1.20E.

Thanks a lot for your response ! I don’t know what exact Intel AHCI ROM module is incorporated in the latest BIOS because I couldn’t open the BIOS file with CBROM yet, I’ll try again with andyp’s PhoenixTool, as you suggested in the other thread.

Look into the DUMP folder for a file sized 16 KB and open it with a Hex Editor.

Hello,
I would like to update my marvell 9128 firmware, but the bootloader and firmware download links on win-lite.de are down. Could you please reup that?

Thanks

@ krado:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

All these modules have been uploaded to MEGA and to my OneDrive account. Since several years there are no files hosted anymore at win-lite.de.
You should find working download links within the start post of >this< thread.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Update:
I just have realized, that I obviously had forgotten to replace 2 old links to the win-lite.de Server within the start post of this thread. Meanwhile I have reuploaded both files to my OneDrive account und fixed the links.
Please let me know, if it should not work for you.

@ Fernando
Hello,
I can download the firmware now, but the link to the bootloader download within the start post is still redirecting me to win-lite. I also cant find the bootloader on OneDrive.

Kind regards

@ krado:

Thanks for the reply.
All links within the start post of this thread should work now.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando
Hallo Dieter,
ich danke dir. Gut, dass es diese Seite gibt.

Grüße

Translated by Fernando:
“Hello Dieter,
I want to thank you. It is fine, that this site exists.
Greetings”

@ krado:

Please write your future posts in English language.
This is a "clean" English language Forum. My intention was and is, that all visitors are able to read and understand all posts.

Thanks!
Dieter

Hi, Fernando
You have >AMD AHCI ROM v3.2.2.0 for DEV_4391< of 2013 year

Khm, my Granny has newest AHCI firmware

http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileList/B…b3_v.6.x_f2.zip

AMD AHCI ROM v3.3.0.0 for DEV_4391 by 2014 year
Module has a name AMDAHCI.bin in AWARD BIOS

@ ikm:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thank you very much for the link to a BIOS, which contains the newest AMD AHCI ROM v3.3.0.0.

@ all:
Update of the Start post
Changelog:

• new: AMD AHCI ROM v3.3.0.0 for DEV_4391 and DEV_7801 dated 2014
    Notes:
    These AMD AHCI ROM modules have been designed for AMD AHCI Controllers DEV_4391 and DEV_7801.
    Thanks to ikm for the source BIOS.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernandoi)

This sounds great, but I am afraid, that affected users with an ASUS mainboard may not find your post within this thread.
It would be better to start a new thread with a meaningful title within >this< Forum section.

Sorry Fernando I am lost trying to understand how to upgrade the EFI Marvel controller? I cant seem to find the correct modules in my rom. Can you please clarify where to find the two roms you mentioned?

Thank you

What has your question to do with the title of your post and with the topic of this thread? EFI modules and Option ROM modules are totally different ones.
Where did I mention "the two roms" you are searching now??

I have no idea how that title was incorrect but its fixed now. On page one you mentioned:

Important remarks:
a) Update of all Non-UEFI and some UEFI BIOSes:
For a correct function of the Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller there are at least 3 different modules needed within the BIOS:
the Marvell 91xx AHCI/RAID ROM module
the Marvell 91xx firmware and
the Marvell 91xx bootloader

Some actual AMI UEFI BIOSes have within the CSMCORE file an AIO Marvell 91xx AHCI/RAID ROM module, which contains all 3 components (the uncompressed ROM size is much bigger than 100 KB), but usually the mainboard BIOSes do contain the Marvell 91xx Firmware and the Marvell 91xx Bootloader as separate modules.
If the mainboard BIOS contains these 3 components separately, all of them have to be updated, if the user wants to replace the Marvell 91xx AHCI ROM by a newer version. Usually this should be done by executing the Marvell 91xx firmware tool, which is part of the complete Marvell 91xx Firmware Pack (the actual version 2.2.0.1125b can be downloaded from >here<).
Unfortunately some mainboard BIOSes do not allow to replace the Marvell 91xx BIOS ROM module by running the firmware installer. Users with such mainboard may have to do it with the appropriate BIOS tool.

Here are the latest 3 module files, which can be flashed into an AMI non-UEFI mainboard BIOS with the MMTool by replacing the old ones:
the MV91xx Bootloader module (in non-UEFI AMI BiOSes usually to find within the GUI line ID E6, the actual version 1.0.1.0002b kann be downloaded from >here<, uncompressed size: 51 KB, unchanged usable with DEV_9123, credits go to ZioGTS for the file).
Important: For a proper function the Marvell Bootloader (=E6) module must contain the correct DeviceID of the on-board Marvell AHCI Controller (as the ROM module itself). That is why the Bootloader module has to be customized before being used for an update. Open it with a hex editor and search for the hex code "4B 1B". It should be there 2 times. Then replace the 2 hex code pairs just behind the "4B 1B" by the correct DeviceID hex codes. Examples: The correct hex code for a Marvell Controller with the DeviceID 9120 has to be "4B 1B 20 91", whereas a DEV_9123 Controller needs "4B 1B 23 91".
the MV91xx Firmware module (in non-UEFI AMI BIOSes usually to find within the GUI line ID E7, the actual version 2.2.0.1125b can be downloaded from >here<, uncompressed size: 200 KB, credits go to ZioGTS for the file)
the MV91xx AHCI ROM module itself (non-UEFI AMI BIOS: it is in one of ID20 lines, the download link to the actual version 1.0.0.1033 is above)

b) Update of an AMI UEFI BIOS:
Many AMI UEFI BIOSes just contain 1 single Marvell 91xx PCI ROM module. It includes everything, which is needed for a proper function of the Marvell 91xx AHCI/RAID Controller. This module is situated within the BIOS file named CSMCORE and can easily been updated with the Aptio UEFI MMTool. The download link to the actual complete module containing the Marvell 91xx AHCI/RAID ROM and the additional Marvell 91xx BIOS is above.

@ davidm71:

Your previous post and the new post title indicates, that you are searching for a Marvell EFI AHCI/RAID module and not for a Marvell AHCI/RAID ROM module. As I already have written,the EFI modules have nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
You can find some Marvell EFI SATA modules within the UBU\Modules\SATA\FFS folder.

Hi there, I am modding my BIOS file to add a later raid.rom module.
The version that is in the BIOS is 7.50.1017 and I found that there is a
later one available here version 11.20.1527 and I am wondering if this
is the right one to use? My MB is a G33MDS2R Intel and the original
Raid module in the BIOS file is called ICH9Raid.bin. Any help would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

Yes, the Intel RST RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527 in combination with the Intel RST RAID driver v11.2.0.1006 is a very good choice for Intel ICH9R Southbridge systems running in RAID mode.
What I do not know is, whether you will get the updated Intel RAID ROM module working with your old system. The jump from an Intel MSM RAID ROM v7.x.x.xxxx to an Intel RST RAID ROM v11.x.x.xxxx may be too big.
If you should not succeed, I recommend to try the Intel RST RAID ROM v10.1.0.1008, which is much smaller sized than the newer Intel RST RAID ROM modules.